New album by Destiny on sale

Dhsu

First of all, I got the album today (yay!). Second, it's breathtakingly beautiful -- the best CD I've bought in an extremely long time. Finally, if every CD I ordered came with a letter about future plans and a handwritten thank-you note, I wouldn't download a tenth of the music I download now. Good stuff all around...congratulations again if you read this, Helen!

So I forgot to post here, but I got the CD back last Saturday (10 days or so for international mail isn't so bad). There was obviously a lot of effort put into the packaging - you just don't see so much there with most CDs, from the blue tissue paper to the handwritten & signed card. Now for the CD itself...I was surprised that there was two CDs, and at the number of songs. It was also different from what I expected, being largely piano driven. I liked a good number of songs, although I did have one problem - the vocals sounded mixed too far back - on my stereo, they definitely sound a little too faint compared to the instruments. I'm not sure whether this is intentional, but it's my only real complaint. Otherwise, nice work :)!!

Blue tissue paper? I just got a bubble-wrap envelope :( Then again, I also got mine internationally in 4 days, so I'm not complaining.

The mix sounded fine to me, other than a quiet hiss on some of the vocal tracks that was only noticeable when listening at fairly high volumes. Helen's aware of this. I would've liked to hear a version of Waiting For The Snow that focused on acoustic guitar as much as piano, and had a live part, but then it wouldn't have really been a solo project.

Or perhaps because certain *COUGH* members the community would immediately make another attempt to get into her pantalonés, now that Jill is taken.

What a sad truth, having a Vagina on here puts you on a wanted list.

I never really heard of Destiny till now, but definitely considering her CD. The samples were amazing for all the faults she picked out on her CD.

The mix sounded fine to me, other than a quiet hiss on some of the vocal tracks that was only noticeable when listening at fairly high volumes. Helen's aware of this. I would've liked to hear a version of Waiting For The Snow that focused on acoustic guitar as much as piano, and had a live part, but then it wouldn't have really been a solo project.

pixietricks also didn't have a problem with the mixing either - my settings on my stereo is -2 dB low, +6 dB mid & high. But it was more noticeably mixed back than most of my music.

Edit: So, I relistened briefly to a few other tracks to check, and I think it's with some of the songs where this is a problem, not necessarily all of them.

I haven't even had a chance to listen to the album yet, and the packaging has already made me glad I purchased it.

Signed CD insert with smiley face: check.

Handwritten note of thanks with confetti and butterfly stickers inside: check.

Wrapped in blue tissue paper and sealed with another gold butterfly sticker: check

Lovely album art to top it all off: check.

I don't think I've ever had an album give such a great impression before I even listened to it. This CD is already a one-of-a-kind experience. Thanks, Helen! :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

This sparkly album of happy glitter arrived in the postal mail just a couple days ago, and I can hardly stop playing it both in my car to & from work and on my computer at the apt. And that's something, considering it's competing against the recently-acquired discographies of both Enya and Loreena McKennitt (an acquisition far overdue).

Since it's playing now, I just have to say how The Mermaid Part I: The Storm sounds so very cinematic, especially if one were to ignore the synthetic nature of the instruments. Parts of the piece even remind me of the scores to Shore's Lord of the Rings and the game Advent Rising.

But most of all, what strikes me is the inspirational quality of these lyrics and the passionate expression with which they are sung. Even the melancholy within sounds uplifting. And often when a song may begin with darker thoughts, by the finish it has concluded not in the same state in which it began, but with a sense of hope, of self-discovery. This progression also seems oft reflected in the music itself, not content to be static and repetitively infectious, but more of a journey in mood and dynamics.

Lastly, I must admit that when I was ripping the CD, trying to find an appropriate genre for this album rather confounded me. But glancing upon Helen's new site, "faerie pop" does seem quite a fitting description. ^_^

Wow, Chris! You should review for a living! You put into words what I felt myself, and beautifully.

Aw, such kind words! ^^;;

It's a tempting idea to consider, and not a completely unfamiliar occupation. But I would readily exchange this alleged ability to mold the English language to my whims for an incredible fluency in the language of music, for the skill to delicately shape voice and tone into sonic emotion.

Although, I certainly hope you talented folks all keep up a stream of amazing review-fodder, whether I would be receiving money for tossing my opinion around or not. :mrgreen:

Just bought it off Soundclick. I already have most of these, but I think I owe Helen for how awesome they were in the first place. So hooray Helen for finally smartening up and charging for your awesomeness! (Actually, she wasn't smartening up, she wanted to release a quality product. I appreciate it.) Kudos and keep up the EXCELLENT work.