Yoshi's Island WIP

DemanusFlint

this song has been awesome through each reincarnation

ocr's judges are simultaneously too stuck-up and low-brow for sweet songs like this.

they have this 'major-label electronica/new age orchestral' thing going on, with a few exceptions

this song should be one

i think just rearranging the melody would be enough to constitute this as "ocr-worthy"

Thanks for replying, guys.

cawnil, thanks for the compliments, although we could probably do without some of the shtyjdgfgt hate (despite my own statements about the usual OCR genres).

Radiowar, what tracks by CotMM are you referring to? I'm listening to a few of his, and nothing's jumping out to me as being especially similar. Great mixes, though!

Theory of Nonexistence, I'm afraid that your recommendations aren't going to work out-- I left the mbira and zither at home, so re-recording some of those key parts couldn't happen for a while. A resub that I mixed anytime soon would basically just add or subtract, not so much modify.

Radiowar, what tracks by CotMM are you referring to? I'm listening to a few of his, and nothing's jumping out to me as being especially similar. Great mixes, though!

Yeah like I said it isn't a perfect comparison, but it's probably the closest you'll find on this site. The one that I was specifically thinking of was 'Norfair (Frailty Awaiting)'. The only real similarity is that both incorporate a lot of white noise and ambience (real ambience) and don't follow conventional forms.

So what does everyone think? Do I try resubmitting this, or have I painted myself into a non-OCR corner, too limited by my (developing) personal aesthetic? Let me know what you think, please!

You absolutely need to try to resubmit this. I read the judges decision on this and it seems like this has the potential to be on OCR. Your best bet with this would be to follow the judges advice on arrangement and production while still keeping your creative intent. If you fix all of the problems they addressed, then I don't see why this would get a NO vote IMO.

Personally, I think this is a really cool experimental mix. I'd love to see more stuff like this on the site, and I'm sure quite a few others would too. So please try to resubmit this!

My first reaction would be NOT to resub this. Just because a track doesn't cater to OCR criteria as a "remix" doens't say anything about the quality of the track itself. I have personal experience on jumping through judge panel hoops to get a remix submitted, and in the end it's not worth it to make something sound they way THEY think it should if you already know what YOUR looking for.

On the other hand, actually getting something of this nature through would be great opening up perceptions on OCR. In that way, I won't say it's a bad idea to give them what they want ;)

Well, thanks again for comments, everyone. I don't think I'm going to resubmit this-- it'd just be too tough to rework a lot of it. I have some ideas and tracks laid down for another piece, though, so keep an eye out for what happens next! This one is a little poppier and should be a lot of fun to play around with, and I'm really excited about getting something new finished. I'll leave the link to Escalloniaceae up, though.

Thanks again for listening and responding!