help? converting itunes' m4p into mp3?

monkeybrain

m4a files you mean? I think the best way is supposed to be burn them onto a CD and then rip them, but then you lose quality. Welcome to crappy Apple file formats.

Waste of a CD. Play the song back on your computer and record in another program using Stereo Mix/What U Hear as the recording input.

That's if you can't find a Nullsoft Disk Writer-like app that handles m4a files.

m4a files you mean? I think the best way is supposed to be burn them onto a CD and then rip them, but then you lose quality. Welcome to crappy Apple file formats.

M4P is the protected fileformat, M4A is unprotected audio. There are methods that I cannot further divulge(Hint: Google for it) to remove the protection on iTMS purchased music, which can then be followed by converting the M4As to MP3s in iTunes itself, resulting in MP3s. Quality loss is a part of this though, but only in the M4A>MP3 part.

I've used a handy little program called QTFairUse to deal with this problem. Strips the DRM and converts your M4P files into whatever format. I'm not sure how many conversion formats it supports, but I chose MP3 and had no issues. Obviously this is much easier than re-recording all your files.

thanks man. this program doesn't have any option to convert to mp3 or anything, but it does the trick for getting m4a. i'd spank you but we're on the internet so i won't.

• 2 weeks later...
There's a program called Switch, which is what I use.

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/plus.html

Free version works well.

I used this for a while, but then the trial period ran out. If you have Winamp Pro though, you can download and install this transcoder plugin - http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~wdhf2/transcoder/

Is there any free transcoding software that anyone knows about?