Getting JV-1010 set up

Yeah, so I have a JV-1010 sitting here, and i'm pretty much hardware stupid having used software for all my life. I know this can't be incredibly difficult, but what do I need to do to be able to utilize my JV on the computer? It's plugged into my soundcard right now with an adapter MIDI cable. I know how to use a MIDI keyboard with it, and how to get audio output (duh), but I need advice on how to link my sequencer (FL) and the JV so it plays the MIDI data I compose. Really I just need a lot of general advice about how to use it with my PC. Anyone care to help me out here?

You need to set FL to send external MIDI data (it's a checkbox option) then set the appropriate receive port/channel on the JV-1010. Create a MIDI out in FL with that port/channel and you should be able to send the MIDI to it. Then you must set one FL mixer track in as the input for the soundcard where your JV-1010 is plugged, and record the audio in real time that gets played when you send the data.

This is pissing me off royally because it seems like I just can't get the stupid MIDI light to respond. What you explained is almost exactly what I was doing, except I forgot a few key points. I don't have a send external MIDI data option, but I have "Enable MIDI output" checked. My MIDI options panel looks like this right now. The other thing I don't know how to do right now is configure the recieve port on the JV. Don't know if you need to since the manual doesn't ever mention it (lol roland manuals).

That said, I'm still not having any success and I don't know why. Everythings connected, I all kinds of stuff with options in FL..etc. The only thing I don't know how to set would be the port on the JV. Also, Would this have anything to do with my crap soundcard (audigy...:| )? Now that i'm implementing hardware into my setup I probably need to ditch that.

Heya, let me see if I can be of some help.

I own the JV1010's older brother, the JV1080, which is very similar save for a few differences.

The first thing you're going to want to do is make sure that you have the MIDI OUT from your computer going into the MIDI IN on your JV.

Then, for starters, make sure that your set to GM on your JV. On mine it's Preset D (once you get into it, you might stop using GM instruments altogether). The real treat is when you get into User patches and programming your own. I reached a point where in my electronica days I was basically using 100% user patches, most of which I programmed myself.

Also, see if you can locate a version of the software called ChangeIt, which is a patch editor for sound modules, including the JV1080/1010 and the 2080

You can also switch to GM mode, I think, by turning the knob to the GM spot and pushing it.

For reference:

A Patch is an instrument in your list of instruments

A Perform is a Performance which is a full MIDI port full of instruments. The JV comes with presets, but eventually you'll want to make your own. That means 15 Patches and one drum track (on channel 10).

A Rhythm is a drum kit. Usually comprised of 88 or fewer one shot (typically non-sequential and non-tuned) instruments on each key. They keep them separate because the programming for them is different than a regular patch.

You'll find patch programming very satisfying if you're doing pop or electronica kind of stuff.

You'll find it infuriating if you're doing orchestral work. The JV just isn't meant for that.

However, it may or may not comfort you to know that I made this long, long ago on my JV1080:

http://dannthr.com/samples/derived/videogame/Dannthr_Lufia_suite.mp3

Using mostly stock patches.

The JV's strength is with the keyboards which are mostly in Preset A.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Zephyr: That could be a problem. I got the latest drivers, but wasn't able to install them. Windows refused to open the installer which was meant for Windows 95.

dannthr: Thanks for all the info, but I'm still stuck on getting it working. Pretty sure the cable is connected (that'd be dumb if it wasn't), and i've tried all the settings in FL and on the JV that are possible. I have it set on GM now, which still didn't work. I'm thinking that it has to do with either;

Crap Soundcard (probably will get a MIDI interface, or replace this one)

Wrong Config in FL, or possibly the JV.

I'm out of ideas right now. Anyone have a Roland Synth and FL Studio?!?!?!

Why don't you download ChangeIt or some quick MIDI program to make sure it's not FL?

If you are successfully sending a MIDI signal from your software, then the problem is the hardware.

You need to apply scientific method and use a control subject--download MIDI software to make sure it's not FL. If the new software doesn't work, it's a HardWare issue. If it does, it's a software issue.

Well I wasn't able to get any MIDI messages sent to the JV with changeit either, and i've messed with a lot of settings. I'll keep messing with it though. It's probably my Audigy, and i'm questioning whether this joystick port converter cable method even works. I'm probably going to get an M-Audio Fast Track Pro when I buy a new MIDI keyboard, and that way I can use the preamps to boost the JV's signal too.

Well anyone have anything else to say? I've pretty much given up on this current method. Thanks for the help guys.

I connected my JV midi via a shitty Sound Blaster 16 via the joystick port method--it was fast.

The next check is switching out your MIDI cable.

There's one other thing, you might have to set a Roland Channel number... it's like a port number but it's unique to some roland gear.

With ChangeIt, I had to make sure my JV was on port 16 on both--or some same number choice. You have to go into the settings to change it.

I never ran into a port setting issue with a DAW though.

I guess it could be settings in changeit, here's what they look like now.

ch1tp2.png

ch2ji3.png

That's only the inputs in the second pic. The same ones plus more appear in the output box.

I posted pics because i'm not entireley sure what to set everything to, but I have a feeling that "creative external MIDI" might be something useful...

As for the other stuff, I don't have a second cable to check with right now. I don't think it'd be the cable but you never know.

And the Roland Channel Number is never mentioned in the manual nor on the JV itself so I don't know if that's an issue.

Sorry, it's been a while since I used ChangeIt or my JV,

The number I was thinking of wasn't a port number or roland channel, but a DEVICE ID number.

This is because the Rolands were designed for heavy daisy chaining and you need the ability to send direct signals through the chain to the proper device.

Make sure the Device IDs are congruent.

Sorry about the mixup.

Well i've pretty much figured out my plan. Still no luck on usinng changeit, or gettting ANY midi to the JV, BUT- I need to ditch this consumer craphouse of a soundcard right NOW. I discovered today that you can just run the line out on the JV(or headphone jack for louder output hehe :-D ) to the line in on the assigy and the signal is PLENTY loud. I still have no MIDI control and proper drivers for this card don't exist- whenever I try to set an input in the FL mixer the audio gets stuck in a loop and eventually becomes a deafening mess. I currently can't find a way around that problem. That should be resolved with a new audio interface though...unless it's FL doing that. :?