OCR01605 - Final Fantasy VI "Cyanide"

djpretzel

Holy shit! This is fucking cool!

Asian instrumentation sounds awesome. Flawlessly executed, sounds very authentic. All of it sounds real. I would have loved to hear more development of the asian vibe but what's there is absolutely brilliant.

Aah, yes, and then the guitars, just as well done. Great playing, great choice of tones, awesome arrangement. The wah solo is positively orgasmic.

This will definitely go among my all-time favorites.

I have but one complaint: the ending sucks. Horribly. Sounds like the mixer just lost interest and said "I'm bored, so I'll end it here"

I first heard this waaaay back on VGMix, and thought I'd lost it when the site went down. I loved it then, and I love it now. Very happy to see this piece finally up on OCR where it (in my opinion, anyway) belongs. Helps, I suppose, that Cyan's theme is one of my favorites, and not one I see mixed very often.

The ethnic part is great, and the rock one is pretty good, too. However, I don't think that they mix well. To me, this basically seems like two pieces glued together with a rather lackluster transition.

It's not a bad song, not at all. I would love to hear more from XMark, especially if it were made in the same fashion the intro here was done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Very strong in a lot of sections, though some of the transitions could have been a little stronger. Specifically the one between the intro and the heavy part, some sustained strings or something would have helped ease it a bit.

Some of the drums fills also could have been more interesting, but the drums totally fit with the 'Sad but true' feel, so it's a stylistic descision I can respect.

The guitar tone was excellent, I was rocking the hell out to the rhythm guitar playing. The wah solo stuff was also very solid. Some of the timing on the bass/drums seemed to get off here and there, but not enough to ruin the track for me.

Arrangement-wise it almost seemed like 2 seperate songs, so I kindof wish (ok, really wish) you'd have brought back some of the ethnic elements throughout the song to help tie them together better. Maybe an extended version where the ending isn't so abrupt. ;-)

Great track, I really got into it. :-)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I really enjoy the ethnic, beautiful part that leads in at the beginning. I also enjoy the heavier rock section that shows up around the 1:15 mark. But they really don't feel to me as if they belong in the same song together - it doesn't feel like a whole. Whether that could be fixed with different transitions, or inclusion of some of the instruments from the original part in the rock part, I can't say, but as it stands now I would've actually liked to have seen it split into two separate songs along that break line. Would've been two excellent, stand-out songs that I would listen to on a daily basis; as it is, I feel like it's just a good track.

But I'm sure that others would disagree with me. :tomatoface:

• 5 months later...

Quite an unpredictable mix. The double-sided aspect of the track should complement itself at every opportunity, and this just doesn't. On the one hand, I really love the Crouching Tiger, acoustic style section and when I heard the mix sharply veering from that direction, I felt some remorse. It didn't help that the transition into the new direction was unsupportive of the new elements being introduced.

However, the second part is ALSO quite good. The guitar wasn't as rich as I like, but it's still a wonderfully chuggy treatment.

I like both sides of this coin, but its such a shame they seem so incompatible with each other. There's a real 'oil on water' effect here that probably should have been addressed long before it got to be judged, but if it's being judged on technical merits alone, there is far less things to find fault with.

If nothing else, it's proof that smooshing together genres is a risk.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01605 - Final Fantasy VI "Cyanide"