What NES game should I play?

supremespleen

Is there a consensus on the best NES emulator, btw? I was looking at FCE Ultra, but some people were recommending RockNES over it.

I've had the best results with FCE Ultra myself. It runs pretty smooth, has all the standard features (save states, speeding up the game, etc.), and the hacking features are likewise pretty good and relatively easy to use.

If you can get a hold of it, Chiller is an awesome (not because it's good) unauthorized light gun game, but you can use your controller, too. I mean, the last level is a torture chamber where you torture different people in different horrific ways. How awesome is that?!

...how in the world did that get past--oh, it was unauthorized.

I was under the impression that the only company that managed to really sell 'unauthorized' games was Wisdom Tree (the makers of Bible Adventures, Sunday Funday, and Spiritual Warfare. ...Spiritual Warfare is actually not that bad if you can overlook the whole 'smite the heathens' theme.)

...come to think of it, you might want to go ahead and get Spiritual Warfare. KF

Gauntlet

City Connection

Skate or Die (1 and 2)

Monsters in My Pocket

Excitebike

City Connection... while an annoying game when it comes to controls, plot, and music, other than that, it's quite addicting. I actually want to attempt to remix the music of the first level...

Monsters in My Pocket brings back some serious memories. I never did beat that game.

The original Gauntlet was fun, and even more so when you have a second player.

Is there a consensus on the best NES emulator, btw? I was looking at FCE Ultra, but some people were recommending RockNES over it.

I use nestopia.

And it is fully compatible with my NES pad as well.

It's very basic, but works very well for me.

EDIT: Oops, double post... Shoot me with a light gun.

RAMPAGE.

Also (to fill character limit)

SMB3

Darkwing Duck

Insult Master

Rampage is great if you have a few hundred hours to kill trying to get to the end. :-)

And I must've rented Darkwing Duck a hundred times, and I never beat that game. I remember it being infuriatingly hard.

Boulder Dash (One of my favorite head scratchers of all time)

The first FF (if you want to smash your head through a wall on account of horrid AI)

Star Tropics (One is better than two, both rock)

Zelda 2 should only be played if Zelda one has been beaten. I despise the game, but on it's own merits It's not too bad.

Trog (Another one of those old games I played for ten minutes as a kid and loved)

Donkey Kong (Because it's short and sweet, and still awesome to this day)

I use FCE Ultra myself, and I've never had a problem with it.

Hm. Any way I can get an NES controller to work with my computer?
I bought a NES -> USB cord online for about $20. I forget where, but look around the net for it.

Adding to the list, personally I like Bomberman 2, Paperboy and just last week I tried Baloon Fight (the game the WarioWare series continually shoves up your ass :roll:). As simplistic and arcade-y as it is, it is a pretty decent game FWIW.

Also, since we're talking emulators, look up a ROM called Dance 2000. It's an attempt to make DDR for the NES. :lol: It only half-works but it's pretty funny.

Edit: There are also interesting homebrew ports of Tekken 2 and various Street FIghters.

Edit2: How did we get this far without mentioning DR. MARIO?!

I bought a NES -> USB cord online for about $20. I forget where, but look around the net for it.

Adding to the list, personally I like Bomberman 2, Paperboy and just last week I tried Baloon Fight (the game the WarioWare series continually shoves up your ass :roll:). As simplistic and arcade-y as it is, it is a pretty decent game FWIW.

Also, since we're talking emulators, look up a ROM called Dance 2000. It's an attempt to make DDR for the NES. :lol: It only half-works but it's pretty funny.

Edit: There are also interesting homebrew ports of Tekken 2 and various Street FIghters.

Edit2: How did we get this far without mentioning DR. MARIO?!

Oh wow, I feel like a jerk now.

If I had seen that post I would have posted this before.

http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?categoryID=79

I bought the retro port, and I highly recomend it.

It works flawlessly, and you can find NES controllers around pretty easily.

Except that Dr. Mario is decent, whereas Columns sucks it hard.

Hey, I liked Columns.

And the remix for the music for Columns rocks so much harder than the remix for Dr. Mario.

Anyway... (gotta think WAAAAAAY back to the NES days...) um... another game... Dragon Warrior, I think it was called. You play a warrior guy in one stage on a side scrolling mission, and some of the stages you play a dragon with different breath attacks... it was pretty fun. I gotta find another ROM of that game...

• 1 year later...

This topic doesn't seem to have been used in a long time, but this my first ever post on this forum. I've been coming here for a while and figured I should just register and talk in the forums.

As for NES games you should play, here is my list.

1. The Guardian Legend

2. Batman

3. Legacy of the Wizard

4. Life Force

5. Capt. Skyhawk

6. Gargoyle's Quest 2

7. Super Mario Bros. 3

8. Overlord (civ. builder type game but still fun)

Star Tropics

Second one would be easier to get into nowadays, but the first one is the better game in all respects. It's ridiculously hard, as most NES games are. Word of warning: You will need to go to GameFAQs at least once during the game.

Holy smokes! I never even tried the second one...but the first was my first RPG-ish victory.