OCR00073 - Lotus II R.E.C.S. "Overdrive"

Ginnsu

Lotus II R.E.C.S. 'Overdrive'

This is one very cool set of instruments in this mix with some amazing effects on them. They sound very much like 303s or 404s with very cool note arrangement. I especially love the hollow sounding loop. Besides the instrumentation, of course, there is the entire arrangement and the sound effects. This overdrive car theme that's going in is very cool. The drums seem some what bland in sample quality and repetitiveness, but I might just be aching for some Break Beat, so don't take my word on that one. Excellent piece of work, Hornpipe2, keep it up.

First of all I should mention that I usually prefer really driving mixes, extremely poigniant ones, ones with extremely strong atmospheric feel or ones that are just really intense. This leaves a lot of the happy upbeat electronica pieces off my playlist. That's why I would like to mention that this remix has got real groove to it, neat effects, cool variation and, once again, great groove. It's happy but not overly happy and taken seriously enough to be really good music. Good stuff. Next time I'd like to hear an even fuller soundscape (think Paul Oakenfold, :wink: )

4 Stars

Per's OCR Star System:

5-One of my favorites.

4- I'll listen to it a fair amount but it lacks that extra "something" to be great.

3- Above average but not enough so to get much playtime in my list.

2- Average

1- Lacking

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I like the creative and somewhat staccato melody. THe synths were well chosen for the melody type, and though I feel the soundfiled could have been filled out a bit more, this works as some driving dance music quite well. The short chromatic section was a nice break before going back to a similar groove as the opening with different ornamentation section.

A fun mix with some nice sound effects and short enough to not overstay it's welcome.

• 1 year later...

Interesting soundchoices, and they work pretty well. I'm not too crazy about the melody synth choice; it feels too much like a cross between something that should be in the background and something in the foreground. Drums aren't my favorite either, though they suit the song. The other choices, including the saw, were pretty cool though.

A short mix, but it gets its point across. Enjoyable.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Reminds me a lot of very early OCR, in that it has the very basic of concepts, which lends it a lot of charm. The sound effects and the building progression are cleverly put to use, making a better mix out of what could have been quite anaemic. What's here won't rattle any windows or transform a meet-and-greet into a rave, but it has a simple, catchy innocence that only comes along every so often nowadays. Standard electronica, but fun electronica as well.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Very zip zap zappy, a fun little song! I especially like that retro-y bass synth clubbing along. Maybe not a masterwork but not every song on this site needs to be - I mean, even making something so simple and (yet?) enjoyable requires work and a good sense of music and such. Also I think that its a perfectly brief length. Nice!

(Sort of reminds me of something you'd hear in a The Behemoth game actually! You could totally crash a castle to this)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00073 - Lotus II R.E.C.S. "Overdrive"