Bioshock

100_PERCENT ROEMER

Anyone been keeping tabs on this game? I played the XBOX 360 demo yesterday and it was FUCKING AMAZING. It blends horror and humor brilliantly, not to mention I've got a thing for anything dystopian. I just hope my computer has the guts to run the damn thing, heh heh.

Anyways, the PC demo comes out tomorrow, so I guess I'll know then.

Also, the water in the game is the most realistic I've seen yet, although considering the game using the Unreal 3 engine that's to be expected.

We have a thread on it in OT, but for those who missed it:

It's averaging a 99/100

PC Gamer (UK): 95%

PC Zone: 96/100

Eurogamer: 10/10

Gamer TV: 5/5

Game Informer: 10/10

AP Magazine: 5/5

Computers and Video Games: 9.5/10

Gamepro 5/5

1UP: 10/10

Xbox World: 94/100

Gamespy: 5/5

Console and Gameworld: 99/100

IGN: 9.7/10

GameTap: 10/10

UGO: A

Games Radar: 10/10

PLayboy: 4/4

Console Game World: 99/100

Team Xbox: 9.5/10

That, ladies and gentleman, is what you call a pedigree. As the reviews are coming in, it's becoming a dwindling possibility any other game takes Game of the Year.

i went to TRU to see if i could snag a copy for my brother. Unfortunately ran into the one guy there who knows games. He said "technically i can't sell it but we do have it." so i was like "so what you're saying is i need to come back when you're not working?" and he kind of gave me a dirty look. It seems like a cool game though. As far as game of the year is concerned it's very possible, though i think "OMG ROCKBAND" is more likely.

As far as game of the year is concerned it's very possible, though i think "OMG HALO 3" is more likely.

I mean, really.

Also, UE, it's averaging a 98 now. ;p But definitely Bioshock is going to be bloody awesome and it's done all but convert me from relative ignorance to drooling fanaticism in the last 48 hours.

We have a thread on it in OT, but for those who missed it:

It's averaging a 99/100

PC Gamer (UK): 95%

PC Zone: 96/100

Eurogamer: 10/10

Gamer TV: 5/5

Game Informer: 10/10

AP Magazine: 5/5

Computers and Video Games: 9.5/10

Gamepro 5/5

1UP: 10/10

Xbox World: 94/100

Gamespy: 5/5

Console and Gameworld: 99/100

IGN: 9.7/10

GameTap: 10/10

UGO: A

Games Radar: 10/10

PLayboy: 4/4

Console Game World: 99/100

Team Xbox: 9.5/10

That, ladies and gentleman, is what you call a pedigree. As the reviews are coming in, it's becoming a dwindling possibility any other game takes Game of the Year.

I dunno...Smash Bros. has incredibly high expectations around...and Super Mario Galaxy. Of course being Nintendo, they never force their hand so nobody knows any better. Funny though, I've sort of been meh towards the game in terms of the hype-o-meter, although it does take a lot for me to get worked up about any game.

i went to TRU to see if i could snag a copy for my brother. Unfortunately ran into the one guy there who knows games. He said "technically i can't sell it but we do have it." so i was like "so what you're saying is i need to come back when you're not working?" and he kind of gave me a dirty look. It seems like a cool game though. As far as game of the year is concerned it's very possible, though i think "OMG ROCKBAND" is more likely.

Fat chance now, corporate sent out emails out to TRUs specifically instructing them not to sell the game before the release date.

Fat chance now, corporate sent out emails out to TRUs specifically instructing them not to sell the game before the release date.

lol @ corporate emails

In most companies, especially retail stores, they do jack squat to affect what actually happens on the consumer level. And when they do have an effect, it's always incredibly delayed, so you could probably still swipe one for the next day or two if you found the right person at the right store.

lol @ corporate emails

In most companies, especially retail stores, they do jack squat to affect what actually happens on the consumer level. And when they do have an effect, it's always incredibly delayed, so you could probably still swipe one for the next day or two if you found the right person at the right store.

Not with something like this. Any deal hunter gets shut down when stuff like this goes down from my observations of stuff that happens at CAG. There's been musings of whether TRU is going to get fined for the breach of contract or not atm.

I dunno...Smash Bros. has incredibly high expectations around...and Super Mario Galaxy.

That's what I think will ultimately end up working against both of those titles. Not to take away from their inevitable quality (I am anticipating both), but I think because expectations are so high, they will at least, on some small scale, disappoint some reviewers.

On the other hand, BioShock came in as sort of this relatively unknown game that was supposed to be awesome, and because of the lack of expectation, ended up blowing away reviewers.

Not with something like this. Any deal hunter gets shut down when stuff like this goes down from my observations of stuff that happens at CAG. There's been musings of whether TRU is going to get fined for the breach of contract or not atm.

Probably will get hit with a fine.

Dunno who's not paying attention to corporate emails, but when I managed retail, we took that shit seriously. It was a company-wide threat that anyone breaching those directives would find themselves fired, as well as their managers and their district managers. Furthermore, everyone was instructed to put street-dated merchandise in the least-visible sections of the storeroom, just so customers wouldn't know we had the game in.

I used to think it was a joke, until two people in my district were canned on the spot for violations.

I don't know; I never meant to imply they were jokes, but rather that in my experience the corporate grapevine has usually been a slow and ineffective process. Most of the corporate orders I've seen go through have never taken complete effect until a day or more later, simply because of the time it takes to notice the info/get the word out to the employees. I'm not saying all TRU stores are likely to be loose with their copies of Bioshock for a while to come, but I'm willing to bet more than a few copies are going to be sold here and there even after corporate's laid down the law. Whether people will be fired because of it is a different story entirely, of course.

I've been keeping an eye on this one ever since they first announced it (being a System Shock 2 fanyboy and all), pre-ordered my limited edition and everything. Toys R Us and their dodgey business is funny stuff. Just deciding whether I should grab the PC demo or just wait till it comes out next week. Will needa wait 7 days though since everything loves to come out later down here in Australia (don't worry, I'm not forgetting that you Europeans get shafted a lot too).

That's what I think will ultimately end up working against both of those titles. Not to take away from their inevitable quality (I am anticipating both), but I think because expectations are so high, they will at least, on some small scale, disappoint some reviewers.

On the other hand, BioShock came in as sort of this relatively unknown game that was supposed to be awesome, and because of the lack of expectation, ended up blowing away reviewers.

I have to agree. For one, Smash Bros was a niche title to begin with, and while I'll probably put in 100+ hours for it again, it just doesn't seem to have the newness of BioShock or its narrative. In terms of it being acclaimed with a "Game of the Year" buzz, I think Bioshock is probably way up there. At least until Mass Effect can live up to its underhype too.

And we all know how far platformers fell from grace and I don't think any Mario or Sonic or Crash game will ever take the center stage like it used to.

What I like most about Bioshock is the music though. And it's pretty creepy when in an interview with the sound designer, apparently they used real raspy voices of sick and dying patients. I don't know how they got away with that, but that's pretty creepy.

I dunno...Smash Bros. has incredibly high expectations around...and Super Mario Galaxy. Of course being Nintendo, they never force their hand so nobody knows any better. Funny though, I've sort of been meh towards the game in terms of the hype-o-meter, although it does take a lot for me to get worked up about any game.

I think it's best when a relatively little known game comes out and makes an impact like this compared to the next great sequel everybody has anticipated for 3, 4 or even 5 years beforehand. It's like the gaming equivalent of a sports underdog.

BTW, I never even heard about Bioshock until two weeks ago. And I barely even knew that the Systemshock people were making a game. And I found out the game won't come out on the PS3 only recently.

If any Nintendo game stands a chance it's going to be Super Mario Galaxy. That game hasn't been getting near as much hype as Prime 3 or Smash Bros. Brawl but it looks gorgeous and seems to play wonderfully, just like Sunshine should have years ago.

transl: it's going to be = I hope it's

Wow I was completely blown away from the demo

I've been keeping tabs on it since it first got released and I was decently impressed but never as hyped as I am now for it

The graphics looked unbelievable...I thought it was cool when you where going down underwater and you see the whale in the city

on a side note though did anyone else get scared from the beginning like 30 seconds? I thought the whole airplane scene graphics really where not up to par and it really only started to look good when you surfaced out of the water