Bioshock

100_PERCENT ROEMER

Wow I was completely blown away from the demo

I've been keeping tabs on it since it first got released and I was decently impressed but never as hyped as I am now for it

The graphics looked unbelievable...I thought it was cool when you where going down underwater and you see the whale in the city

on a side note though did anyone else get scared from the beginning like 30 seconds? I thought the whole airplane scene graphics really where not up to par and it really only started to look good when you surfaced out of the water

Because that was CG I assume? It's funny when a CG cutscene is worse than the actual ingame graphics.

And how many people just sat in the water, thinking it was all a CG cutscene? It just looked so pretty, I didn't realize I could actually move until the pointer came up.

With no negative review yet, do you really need a demo?

Baha.... can you not read?

I need to know if my computer can run it smoothly, thats why I want a demo.

And I want see if I will like the game. God of War got raving reviews, but I think the game is boring.

I can think of a lot of highly rated game as boring to an extent. Perfect Dark was boring to me even when I knew it was designed well and its best part was the multiplayer/bots matches anyway. I know a lot of great games are well made, but they aren't my type so I don't bother critiquing a lot of them.

People can argue forever which Zelda or Final Fantasy games are the best, but the ones that made the 3D leap in Ocarina of Time and FF7 are hailed because of their impact on gaming, which I agree, but not agree entirely on how fun they are at times since they all have their slow moments, especially the majority of FF games.

By the way, Bioshock is getting almost too good of reviews and I hope it won't overhype it for me. Many reviews are calling it as one of the best games ever, the Gameranking average is 99 out of 100 points and some reviews are saying it's a work of art. Just gushing over a game like when Resident Evil 4 or God of War or Gears of War games were. And to a lesser extent, Shadow of the Colossus.

I'm super-stoked for Bioshock too, especially after the slick website 2K put up for the game. I'm really in love with the decaying art-deco flavor they gave this game and it looks tres-snazzy to boot.

I'll probably end up going to GameStop and try to get the limited edition set this weekend. That way I already have the game when I get a 360...

I'll be first to come out and say I'm very picky about my games, so whether they are good, great, superb, or decent doesn't really matter unless the game interests me. As of right know, Bioshock doesn't interest me at all. However, seeing as it is getting great reviews, I am going try out the PC demo as soon as its avialable. Maybe I might and up seeing something I like in it.

This game is going to be so good. I was playing the Xbox 360 demo last night, and I got to a part where it actually really freaked me out. So much so, I turned off the system, and started surfing the web for pictures of kittens to qualm the nerves.

The environment is just that good.

So I got to watch my friend play the demo on his 360. It looks very pretty, but just watching someone else play... it didn't seem that exciting. I'm going to assume that playing it is, however.

One thing I do find a little on the "meh" side, is that they use the old story-pushing method of having someone talk to you over a radio. I know it's 1960 and all, but come on. That's the same thing that has been used in FPSs for the last ten years. I thought this games was supposed to be the biggest thing since the genre was created.

I'm going to have to try the demo out a few times before I put down cash for this. Take no offense, fans of the game. I'm just sick and tired of being interested in a new game and then getting burned by it.

So I got to watch my friend play the demo on his 360. It looks very pretty, but just watching someone else play... it didn't seem that exciting. I'm going to assume that playing it is, however.

It wasn't about 100% adrenaline rush, but the entire feeling of it. The dark twinge of the storyline and the atmosphere. I think that is the most exciting part about the whole demo. Really, there was only one big battle in the whole demo.

One thing I do find a little on the "meh" side, is that they use the old story-pushing method of having someone talk to you over a radio. I know it's 1960 and all, but come on. That's the same thing that has been used in FPSs for the last ten years. I thought this games was supposed to be the biggest thing since the genre was created.

I'd rather listen to the radio than read text ala Metroid Prime games or Doom 3 with the PDAs. The radio feature are a staple because it works.

Also, the radio works in the timeperiod the game aims for, which is the mid 60's in a civilization that uses 40's technology.

I really see no other viable alternative for it. I mean there was even a few cutscenes and movies and an in-game cutscene. They pulled out all the stops for the demo.

You know I hadn't really given it much of a thought, FPS's tend to not catch my attention. But I have to admit this one's got a pretty facinating story and premise to it. The atmosphere from what I can see in the demo is undeniably creepy, but not in a typical Doom style "monsters take over the place" way. Its a very distinct kind of creepy, almost a sophisticated kind since the story is almost a social statement in a way.

The Art-deco design style and 1960's flaire is also a big part of it. You can definitely see the dystopian social commentary story influences in this that the team's boasted inspiration from. Nothing can get that certain kind of facinating creepiness across like retro-steam punk and mid 20th century stylings in the little things like even the cartoons that explain the Plasmids. Reminds me of the distnct kind of creepiness the cartoons seen in the Fallout games brought.

"out of the public eye" stories that take place in the 60's seem to generally be pretty cool so far. (Like MGS3.) I bet though after this game there's going to be a huge trend in using this time period and art-deco design style in games.