FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

as for orion's Q, go under the options menu, and find audio, or midi out tab.....somewhere (youll know it when you see it) theres a port selector...make sure the midi out channel is set to the channel that that options screen is set to

as for my question, damn...what WAS my question... well, while I try to remember what my decent question was...lemme ask this one...

one thing I wanna do in one my songs, is make the melody, by picking (with one finger) the notes of the main melody, and then certain notes, I wanna have an upleading arpegiation to the actual note at its actual location, is there an easier way to do this besides learning how to drum-roll adeptly, the instrument pre-note, and then mess with the volume on the PR?

I'll get back to you on the question that was bugging me

hey guys,

i want to record knob changes during my song......such as i want the cut to tone it down from super trance lead, to mellow it down a bit over a few measures. i was wondering how to record this change...every now and again i get lucky and it records..but not this time..im lost

thanks,

-arlum

use a live-recording track (an empty one) to do all your "live recording" on. Click the circle (record) button, then play....and tweak the knob when you see fit. Stop, turn off record, and play... If its not right, right-click the edited knob, on the live-recording track's channel. And tweak it through the event editor.

*hopes he got that right(and not too confusingly said)*

You have version 3.0? For one, it doesn't have the scratcher. Two, it's the most buggy version of FL ever released. My suggestion to you is to grab a later version, like 3.56, which is what I have. They have FruityStudio 4 out now, so I recommend you go to www.flstudio.com and buy it.

And your second question: Use the piano roll! Right click on the channel and select piano roll. It's fairly easy to use so I don't think I need to explain to you how to use it :D remember drag the right side in and out to determine the length of the note (unless you're using a standard .wav sample with no loop points)

Okay, i'm sick of being FL retarded... how do i go about making my own loops, sounds, etc.???

to make your own sounds use wasp, simisynth, and 3xosc (there may be more than that, but its all i use)

Also, there are effects you can use in fruity to alter an existing sound (cuttin and resonatin, high pass low pass etc, overdrive/distortion) and there are effects you can find on the net that will actually morph the sound adding lfo and such (like one i use sometimes called trancemittor).

For synths you dont want to use soundfonts if you can help it (though some are really good) because the envelope on the sound shrinks the higher you go. With 3xosc you will have the same envelope on all notes. A few other things like this happen when using soundfonts. Plus i havent found but one soundfont that uses the bottom note all the way to the top, the generators in fruity can.

If im wrong about anything i said, sorry. Hope i was at least some help.

I guess DM Lee was probably right in everything he said, and I may be able to provide more info too, but I'm not exactly sure what your question is, REF?

Do you mean loops and sounds, as in, you've been using the default FruityLoops stuff? Well, first of all, you don't need loops. If you just have the percussion in there in realtime you have far more control over it. As for the sounds, I would suggest SoundFonts and VSTi's. Go to the links section to find soundfonts, and VSTi's you can find with google or kvr-vst.com (I think that's the URL). SoundFonts pretty much can be loaded into FL like samples... I haven't really found many practical advantages over samples, but many SoundFonts are really well made and sound good, and most of all, most good sounds you're going to find are going to be in that format. You can load them in from the browser (the left window of FL).

VSTi's are... well, load Wasp, Simsynth, or Fruity DX10 up. That's basically what a VSTi is like; when you want to load it in, you need to have it scan for it (Channels, Add One, More...) and then check it off so it's in the Channels, Add One list (that's also where Wasp and Simsynth and all are). They're software synthesizers, and it'll let you make your own sounds.

Sorry if you already knew that, or weren't asking that, but even if you don't need this info, I'm sure somebody else does.

Yeah, sorry, rellik i did no that...

what i meant by my questionw as, well, i've heard that you can make your own sounds and samples and stuff, so i wanted to do that... and also, i was gonna make a good techno loop, like stuff found in the 3xOS (something like that) section, like the arpeggios and layers and stuff, i need more things like that, and i'm not too good on making my own... so i really either just need more things like that, or just a way to make my own....

does that help?

Just wondering...there's this cool effect in lots of dance/techno music where a sound goes from kinda muffled to distinct, and then muffled again. I'm not sure what it's called, and that's my best discription of it. Can you do that in FL?

Yes, in FL it's called I think Fruity Phaser, and I use it in like everything i do... you can even control how many phases it goes through, i like to put it to a small amount of phases and it sounds good to use on snares, or hihats in the dance/trance stuff i make....

(finally, i can be on the answering end of this thread!)

Yeah, I like that effect...it's good for like drums coming into a song, or incoming melodies...ooh, that sounds cool!

Incoming melody!

Now i have a quick question (that didn't last long)

how do u keep the filtered effect on, and how can u do what u said... about bringing things into songs and stuff

and also...

how do u double an instrument... like say a snare for a build up commonly found in techno and stuff, how would i double it!?

Assuming 3.4 here...

Use Piano Roll.

Click C5 and double click while your at it. A window will pop up.

Now you can edit length and starting time.

Starting Time 0:0:0

Make the length 0:0:12

Repeat process in first step (piano roll step i mean)

Start Time 0:0:12

Make the Length 0:0:12 (In fact make the length that way through the whole thing.)

ST = 0:01:0

ST = 0:01:12

you know where I am getting with this.

I just figured this out just two days ago and I was like boo-yeah... this is about as good as Finale now! Woot!!!

Hey, I'm new to this. I've read pretty much all of the other posts, but I got kind of tired areound page 23 :wink: and I didn't get my question answered so I decided to post it. Why can I not hear the sounds when I hit play after I import the midi? By the way, I am not in Song mode- I know better than that. Thanks for your help!

Hey, I'm new to this. I've read pretty much all of the other posts, but I got kind of tired areound page 23 :wink: and I didn't get my question answered so I decided to post it. Why can I not hear the sounds when I hit play after I import the midi? By the way, I am not in Song mode- I know better than that. Thanks for your help!

Open generator channels (either sample or VSTi)

How many?

The same number of midi tracks that have midi data shown in the piano roll 'tube'.

Play around with your selection in instruments (this is, of course, optional).

Copy and Paste: From Midi Channel to generator channel.

Now you should be getting something...