FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

What do you know? Do you know anything about music? Try opening FL, and explaining what exactly you can figure out on your own. From there, you can see what your capabilities are.

Since you're a DJ, you should know something about mixing and music in general; but I don't really know what a DJ does other than ride disks in races, so that isn't much help.

ok, now I am having a problem.

I am trying to map a Mixer Track's panning knob, MIDI-wise, to one of the knobs of a MIDI Out. However, it doesn't seem to recognize it. I've try changing the Controller # and Channel # and everything, but the panning knob just stands still when I move the controlling knob, even when it says it should be correctly mapped, and the controlling knob's configuration says it fits what the panning knob is mapped to.

Also, you know in the piano roll, or the step sequencer, where it has the "Panning" parameter for each note? Well, is there any way I can map THAT to something? That would make it a whole lot easier, if I could pan it inside the piano roll...

Anyway, those are my two questions.

well, that sucks, i typed enough, and my text flashes away FLASH BANG DISAPPEAR!

anywho, here we go again, i've been playin guitar for about 3-4 years

and i play some piano, so yeah... anywho, i got fruity loops, blah blah blah, and heres what i can do, i can look thru the samples, i can throw things in the step sequencer, i can select the notes of stuff in the step se... i can use the playlist...if it means throwin different patterns in a certain order on there, to make it sound the way you want it....umm, as for the plugins, can't do shit....don't have the slightest idea about that, basically, i can do the simplest of things with FL.....so....im a N00b!!!! as ppl call it.

anywho, http://www.geocities.com/reikonasakii/DJ_Reiko_VG_Music.mp3

copy'n'paste this to ur address bar in ur browser, thats a lil thing i made with the default Fruity Samples

I am thinking about buying fruity loops 4. But i was reading about the differn verisions(express,producer). On the producer it says download only so that means i cant buy the cd. I was looking at the info about the express verision and it dident say much. But i did notice it dident say anything about a piano roll. But the producer did. Do any of you have the cd verision of fruity loops 4? If you do does it have a piano roll? Also could someone exeplane the differnces between the 3 verisions the site didnet say much. Thanks.

I am thinking about buying fruity loops 4. But i was reading about the differn verisions(express,producer). On the producer it says download only so that means i cant buy the cd. I was looking at the info about the express verision and it dident say much. But i did notice it dident say anything about a piano roll. But the producer did. Do any of you have the cd verision of fruity loops 4? If you do does it have a piano roll? Also could someone exeplane the differnces between the 3 verisions the site didnet say much. Thanks.

producer ROCKS sucka.

anyways man, go to a LAN cafe, and dl it there and burn it to cd.

or hack it... and try it to see if you like it.

I swear by FL studio... dont care if the cubasers and logic audio boys think its inferior because their PC's cant handle the program at full power.

its a ram whore... like studio pulls the last drop of ever byte ofram joo got... unless you are working with the bare essentials...

I reccommend at least 700+mb of ram to use FLstudio, and 2.0+ghrz P4 or a 1.8 ghrz+ athlon. The athlon may not be as stable a processor to have for your sound rig though.

but yeah fruity studio doesnt sound as clean as logic, or as powerful as cubase when you are first starting out... but stick with it. (I havent played with reason ever, and I dont think i will want to.) I look at FL as a challenge to overcome its limitations and produce something that sounds great.

Essentially the piano roll will be your all knowing all seeing god of sound.

youll want to pick up a couple of VST instruments and some good soundfonts... for whatever you are doing.

and dont use any of the sample intruments except for the generators (with your own personal mod to all the sounds) and the drum samples (which arent that great but there are some gems in there.)

here is something Im working on with producer

http://mysite.verizon.net/trenthian/tuner

ok, now I am having a problem.

I am trying to map a Mixer Track's panning knob, MIDI-wise, to one of the knobs of a MIDI Out. However, it doesn't seem to recognize it. I've try changing the Controller # and Channel # and everything, but the panning knob just stands still when I move the controlling knob, even when it says it should be correctly mapped, and the controlling knob's configuration says it fits what the panning knob is mapped to.

Also, you know in the piano roll, or the step sequencer, where it has the "Panning" parameter for each note? Well, is there any way I can map THAT to something? That would make it a whole lot easier, if I could pan it inside the piano roll...

Anyway, those are my two questions.

I use the the event editor... go to a blank pattern (the main automation is great for this..)

select the pattern, click the fx button to bring up the mixer... right click on the knob you want to pan... and select edit events... it will take you to the piano roll where you can adjust the pan of the track over the course of the automation... I use the automation for all my little things like mixer vol, pan, and tempo.

did that clear it up for you?

I understand that, but I was hoping to be able to control the automation from inside the normal piano roll. Anyway, I ended up doing exactly what you said because I couldn't figure out how to map it correctly.

I really don't know much about the difference between all the versions, myself, but I know that you should at least get the one with 64 FX channels (you'll need them).

Anybody know if it's possible to map individual notes on a Piano Roll to separate MIDI ports? What I've been doing is making a new MIDI Out for each note, and then just copying all the notes of that note from the main piano roll into the new MIDI Out. It works, but it's frustrating when you want to make a chnage, because you have to change many different tracks rather than just one track. (I'm doing this because I have all the notes in my instrument (all the needed notes, of course) playing at the same time, but each is gated separately, and each note corresponds to the correct MIDI gate).

I understand that, but I was hoping to be able to control the automation from inside the normal piano roll. Anyway, I ended up doing exactly what you said because I couldn't figure out how to map it correctly.

I really don't know much about the difference between all the versions, myself, but I know that you should at least get the one with 64 FX channels (you'll need them).

Anybody know if it's possible to map individual notes on a Piano Roll to separate MIDI ports? What I've been doing is making a new MIDI Out for each note, and then just copying all the notes of that note from the main piano roll into the new MIDI Out. It works, but it's frustrating when you want to make a chnage, because you have to change many different tracks rather than just one track. (I'm doing this because I have all the notes in my instrument (all the needed notes, of course) playing at the same time, but each is gated separately, and each note corresponds to the correct MIDI gate).

send me an flp and Ill tell you what to do...

I think i understand what you are trying to ask, but you are confusing and overworking yourself in he process...

Richter, I'm tired to look, but do you mean a layer channel? If so, read the fucking manual. Not to be rude, just pointing you towards info.

Or you could just plop a layer channel down and figure it out yourself.

Edit: and if you really just don't get it, I'll go crazy in-depth on you.

Great. You know, in a help thread, "read the fucking manual" should never really come up. Layer channel, thanks.

ok i have 2

1. When i am making a song with midi out it wont let me have more than one drum channel. Ive opned up some midi that had 3 so i know its possible. When ever i do it i cant hear any sound.

2. I have a pentium 2 :(. Is their any way to make fruity loops work better with out haveing to get a new processer? I cant stand all of that damn clipping.

I found a working Pentium II in an alley a couple months ago. :P

There's not much you can do with that processor, Dj ZeR(). If you have the patience, you could work on one track at a time, render it as a WAV, start a new project, and drop in that WAV as a sample so FL isn't eating up your resources to calculate stuff for that specific track anymore. Also, don't go hog wild dropping in effects on everything right off the bat--do your arranging first with minimal FX, then add them in later, possibly rendering each track as you finish it. This completely takes away the flexibility in being able to tweak stuff on the fly, though.

If you're not already maxed out, it would certainly help if you add as much RAM as your motherboard can fit. I believe Fruity loads just about everything into RAM, whether it's being used or not.

Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before but these help threads are ungodly long and the search function isn't coming up with anything good.

First, what is the definition of VST and SoundFiles?

Second, how can I even load soundfiles into fruity loops to get them to output more than silence?

Also, for the basic instruments that FL has, everyone says they suck and need to be replaced, would one look for .wav samples to use?

-Karrde-

But by whom?

I'll bet I know.

A moderator!

Are there going to be official stickies for every sequencer/tracker now?

No, I've outlined to GL the basics of what's a candidate for stickydom. Perhaps Reason or something similarly popular, but not for every platform out there, as it wouldn't make sense. Please try to keep discussion on this thread FL-centric.

Gracias,

Question:

Is there a way to make a tempo change in the middle of a song?

(while only using fruityloops)

Yes: automation. Automation is what makes things happen when you're not actually doing it. Just press the record button and change the tempo in the middle of the song, and it will save the changes at the specific points in time. You can also edit these events (being changes along with points in time) manually with the Event Editor (right click to see a useful menu).

First, what is the definition of VST and SoundFiles?

"SoundFiles" could mean anything, that's not a recognized term for anything specific that I know of. If you mean soundfont, a soundfont is a package of samples. You need a sampler capable of playing soundfonts to use them. FL has one, but it's only a demo in certain versions of the program.

VST is a technology developed by Steinberg, used for building synthesizers, effects boxes, etc. FL has some native VSTs, i.e. the 3 Osc, Wasp, etc. Basically, a VST is a program that can either be run on its own or used as a plug-in, and is capable of generating sound or applying dynamic effects to sound. This is in contrast to a soundfont or other kinds of samples, which are simply recorded sounds--that is, you're not creating them in real time like synthesizers or effects boxes.

Second, how can I even load soundfiles into fruity loops to get them to output more than silence?

You mean soundfonts? If you don't have it, you'll need the full version of FL's soundfont player, which costs extra. :(

Also, for the basic instruments that FL has, everyone says they suck and need to be replaced, would one look for .wav samples to use?

If you mean FL's samples, yeah, they're not spectacular overall, so it wouldn't hurt to start building your own library of samples, soundfonts, and what have you. But keep in mind that it's how you use them--if you use them intelligently and apply effects in such a way that they don't scream "OMG I'M A FRUITY DEFAULT SAMPLE HATE ME," they're serviceable. People are just sick of hearing the same generic FL samples and synth presets used in beginner songs--spend some time tweaking and personalizing.

But FL's synth instruments are a different story. It has some pretty good stuff. The 3 Osc, for example, is an excellent softsynth. Of course, if you want to use them effectively, you're going to have to learn how to program synths--we've all heard the gamut of FL synth presets ad nauseam.

HTH.

Richter, I'm tired to look, but do you mean a layer channel? If so, read the fucking manual. Not to be rude, just pointing you towards info.

Great. You know, in a help thread, "read the fucking manual" should never really come up. Layer channel, thanks.

Yes, considering this is a help thread, I better start teaching you how to help yourself. Then we'll stop getting stupid questions.

Yes, considering this is a help thread, I better start teaching you how to help yourself. Then we'll stop getting stupid questions.

::douses flames:: stop this immediatly.

richter pm me and ill help you with what you need.