FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

What exactly are SoundFonts for? Uh... hm. They are for making music. They can be used just like any other generator there on your patterns sequencer; they will respond to the midi signals you program, and play their predetermined samples on playback or rendering. This is what SoundFonts are for.

About the SoundFonts not playing problem: are you sure you tried ALL the notes? Most drumkits will start down at C3, which is the standard GM location for the first note of a Drumkit (being the kick). Actually, B2 normally has some kind of extra kick that sounds exactly the same... but whatever.

Yo yo yo, this is a simple question. Well, yeah a question. In FL Studio, there is a bundle of preset handclap samples that I think are fairly nice, despite the lack of stereo-wideness n' stuff. But anyway, how should I alter this handclap sample so it sounds like its actually well-produced, because I want to use it in a funk sort of style, where all the percussive things stand out and feel crisp.

Compressor! I have no idea how one works, but I like the "Drums" preset... although I am suspicious that all it really does is make it louder, but I like it anyway.

EQ! Turn down the mid-lows, turn up the mid-highs, and you probably don't even need the lows at all unless it's a low clap.

Maybe you could automate a filter to make the clap go "bwow" or "sheeow" or "sheee" or "bwee".

Detune works well, also!

Every channel on the mixer has an enwidener knob built in.

Just some ideas.

What you are probably trying to refere to is a time signature.

In options there is project settings. you have a window pops up. There is two dials. One is bar and the other is beat. Crank up the bar meter. If the piece of 4/4 music, use multiples of four to help you increase the length of the bar.

Or solution 2 is to have a pattern for each part of the loop and then sequence them in the playlist. Labelling of the loops is possible so you can keep track of where each is.

ok, i had fruity 3.5.6 installed. I saw that there was a fruity loops 4.1 (FL Studio or whatever it is) so I d/ld it and installed it. Here are my 2 questions - Why does my FL Studio not have all the instruments (Including percussion.)

2nd - Why does it sound like my FL 3.5.6 is on a constant overdrive? Uninstalling and reinstalling both programs didn't work =( i wanna make technos again.

1. FL Studio has dumped a lot of samples between 3.5.6 and 4.5.1. They're still available for download on the FL Studio website.

2. Do you mean it plays stuff too quickly, or it's distorting? I can't explain the first sympton, but the second could be due to a number of things. Does the CPU meter skyrocket when you use 3.5.6, by any chance?

How do I properly loop drum loops? Every time I try they always fall a few bars short of being a complete loop. Thanks.

Actually, Xelebes, the problem he's having is likely tempo related. He is probably attempting to play drum loops back as one shots in a project that does not match their tempo. Solution to this is to use the Fruity Slicer or timestretching.

Right click on the sample in the sample browser and select "Open in slicer channel" and the loop will load sliced up so that you can resequence it to match the tempo. To avoid pops associated with the ends of the slices, either add some decay to all of the slices (simply turn up the decay knob in the slicer) or select "Fill Gaps" in the same window.

For the time stretching option, load the loop into a Sampler channel, open the options window for the channel, and down near the bottom, there's a little digit box that reads "Stretch to Fit." Simply, drag that number to fit the amount of steps that the loop takes up. For example, if the loops is two measures long and you're in 4/4 time, that box should read 32 (as in 16 steps, and then 16 more). Four measures: 64. Eight measures: 128. Get it?

Alright, I've got a question ... How am I supposed to use the dashboard? I've made a dashboard for my microKorg, but apart from getting my micro to control the dashboard, it doesn't seem to do much else. In other words, I can't seem to get the dashboard to do anything useful. What am I meant to do with it?

You need to reverse your MIDI routing on that. Instead of using your microKorg to control dashboard, try using Dashboard to control microKorg. In doing this, you can lay out your own control scheme that has all of the controls on it that you want to manipulate in your mK, and using Dashboard, you can automate all of them. Dashboard can also be used as an internal controller for multiple things at the same time. For example, you might have four Fruity Filter FX channels loaded into four different FX tracks. Well, using Dashboard, you could bind the cutoff knobs in all four to the single Dashboard interface to allow you to easily access all of them for automation.

Basically, Dashboard is meant to allow you to have an even easier time programming in FL. It's the absolute best MIDI controller in the program (if you sink some time into setting it up properly).

EDIT: Also, apology for the double-post, but they were two seperate thoughts, and I haven't posted in ReMixing 101 for awhile, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. *shrug*

Anyone have trouble using aftertouch and mod-wheel in FL Studio?

I recently upgraded my keyboard controller, and it works when I run standalone synths, but within FL studio, the same synth will not respond to aftertouch or mod-wheel changes.

EDIT: I found it: Must create a Midi Out channel to catch and route these messages to the appropriate machine. Turns out that FL only routes a few messages by default.

ok, i had fruity 3.5.6 installed. I saw that there was a fruity loops 4.1 (FL Studio or whatever it is) so I d/ld it and installed it. Here are my 2 questions - Why does my FL Studio not have all the instruments (Including percussion.)

2nd - Why does it sound like my FL 3.5.6 is on a constant overdrive? Uninstalling and reinstalling both programs didn't work =( i wanna make technos again.

If it seems like your FL does not have the samples installed, you probably dont have the proper codec(?) installed to play them. I don't know exactly where the file is but you should have it (it's somewhere in the installers folder, and you find the file and right-click to install it) ... sorry I'm on a different computer and don't know where it is exactly.

As for the "constant overdrive" thing, your FL may have had its buffer length shortened by a lot. This happened to me before. Go to the audio options, and you should see a slide bar that says buffer length. When the buffer length is too little (at the minimum when it happened to me) it'll sound like it's being overdriven, but it's just not giving your computer enough time to put out the right sounds. So what you should do is increase it again. 2048 is the default option for buffer length, so if it's not there, try setting it there (you can just right-click on it to set it to default)

Aside from buffer length, the "overdrive" problem could be one of two things:

1.) Your soundcard. Yes, it might have gotten fried or just turned into a piece of crap in general. Either way, your soundcard could definitely be causing you problems with sound quality.

2.) Sample rate. Go into the same window where you set the buffer length and check to make sure the sample rate (somewhere off to the upper-right of the buffer) is set to 44100. A lower setting would degrade quality, but allow FL to run much faster.

Bah, Winamp suddenly quit working on me a month or so ago... All it does when I try to open it now is display a "Winamp 3" splash window and then, nothing. Can WMP or RealOne put on the ID3 tags?

No they can't.

I'd suggest completely uninstalling Winamp 3 and getting Winamp 5 anyway. It's better than 3 and more stable.

If that doesn't work, Google around for some MP3 taggers. I know there are some out there.