FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

Is there a way to apply an equalizer to a flanger so that the eq will tell the flanger what ranges of sound the filter can pass through (like say you want 350hz to 500hz, 750hz to 1000hz, and 1300 to 1600hz to all be affected by a flanger, but nothing in between?

Every flanger i've used sorta just has a width you can adjust or it can only go this deep or high, etc. (theres always some knob for that) but what if you want the flanger to skip certain specific frequencies so maybe you want a sound to flange as it areggiates to higher notes but when it comes back down it stop but then when dropping down lower it flanges again, etc.

I think you can get what I am saying.

I dont want the eq to interfere with the original signal or reverb or anything like that, just as an adjustment to just the flanger (knowing hwo to do this would be useful because it could also apply to reverbs, phasers, distortion, delay, etc...

This is something I have been tryign to figure out on my own but everything I do ends up editing more than just the flanger.

If this cant be done its understandable, but I have a feeling somehow there has to be a way to do this.

THanx for the help if you can.

Is there a way to apply an equalizer to a flanger so that the eq will tell the flanger what ranges of sound the filter can pass through (like say you want 350hz to 500hz, 750hz to 1000hz, and 1300 to 1600hz to all be affected by a flanger, but nothing in between?

Every flanger i've used sorta just has a width you can adjust or it can only go this deep or high, etc. (theres always some knob for that) but what if you want the flanger to skip certain specific frequencies so maybe you want a sound to flange as it areggiates to higher notes but when it comes back down it stop but then when dropping down lower it flanges again, etc.

I think you can get what I am saying.

I dont want the eq to interfere with the original signal or reverb or anything like that, just as an adjustment to just the flanger (knowing hwo to do this would be useful because it could also apply to reverbs, phasers, distortion, delay, etc...

This is something I have been tryign to figure out on my own but everything I do ends up editing more than just the flanger.

If this cant be done its understandable, but I have a feeling somehow there has to be a way to do this.

THanx for the help if you can.

Use a parametric eq before a flanger in a send channel.

It will send the eq to the original signal too though. I know this "will" eq the flanger this way, but I dont want it to affect the original signal with the eq...

Like say I notch up some frequencies (while having everything else cut) so I may want like certain strings on a guitar soundfont to flange while others remain normal.

I have not found a use for this in a mix yet because for one I cant pull it off. For two, I just dont know when I would want to apply this effect.

I dont want to eq the instrument at all with the same eq I use for the flanger.

Oh, one effectthis would be good for is say you have a synth string chord spanning across about two octaves with the right voicing (like say d minor triad with d4 a4 f5 a5) and you want to notch down chunks of frequencies about 50hz wide with 100hz of of the signal flanging between each 50hz...

Then the string chord will hold like usual and the flange will skip through the frequencies instead of going eeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaoooooommmmmmmoooooaaaaaaaaaeeeeeee

it will go eee eeaa aaaa aoooo mm mm oooo aaa aaee eeee

the whole time the strings still have their zshzhszhszhszhhszhshzshszhzhzshzzhszhszhshzhzszhz sound a lot more constant because not every frequencie is flanged and then you kinda get stuttery accents and stuff from the flanger.

This might help understand why I dont want to eq the whole track with the same eq because then the sound will be really chopped up and thin and lifeless.

Well, if im wrong about the send track (because im sure you can put eq in a send rack and it would affect the sound, then having eq and flange youd still have eq affecting your song...) then I will try it again because I think I already have.

Thanx though and if you are positive it works I'll try it later tonight when I get home.

THanx.

Ok, your missing what I am saying.

sound -----> out

|

v

send ----->parametric eq------>flanger/chorus---->out

so the signal is split in two, one dry, the other wet with parametric eq and flange. Or do you want to simply cut the frequencies from source 1 and place the certain frequencies into the flanger? If so...

sound -----> -(parametric eq) --->out

|

v

send ------> parametric eq------> flanger -----> out

note that -(parametric eq) has the inversed properties of parametric eq.

sound -----> out

|

v

so the signal is split in two, one dry, the other wet with parametric eq and flange. Or do you want to simply cut the frequencies from source 1 and place the certain frequencies into the flanger? If so...

|

v

Actually, what I believe he's trying to do, Xelebes, is apply a flanger to a sound that only flanges certain frequencies in multiple ranges and excludes others without actually altering the sound (with the exception of the flanging). Using an EQ anywhere in the signal path like that would alter all of the sound. He could, however, use your method if he used multiple instances of the sounds.

In fact, the ONLY way to do that is to use multiple instances of the same sound: one with a flanger, one without. Without doing it this way, it would take a fantastically powerful flanger, and I don't think there are any available that can do what you want to be done.

sound -----> out

|

v

|

v

Actually, what I believe he's trying to do, Xelebes, is apply a flanger to a sound that only flanges certain frequencies in multiple ranges and excludes others without actually altering the sound (with the exception of the flanging). Using an EQ anywhere in the signal path like that would alter all of the sound. He could, however, use your method if he used multiple instances of the sounds.

In fact, the ONLY way to do that is to use multiple instances of the same sound: one with a flanger, one without. Without doing it this way, it would take a fantastically powerful flanger, and I don't think there are any available that can do what you want to be done.

Not exactly.

You see when it goes through the send, you are only putting certain frequencies through the flanger. In the original signal, you are having all the rest of the frequencies except you are cutting out the frequencies that being applied in the flanger. That is example no 2. If you want to include some wet/dry function, you can omit the parametric eq but run the risk of certain frequencies being way too hot.

sound -----> out

|

v

|

v

Not exactly.

You see when it goes through the send, you are only putting certain frequencies through the flanger. In the original signal, you are having all the rest of the frequencies except you are cutting out the frequencies that being applied in the flanger. That is example no 2. If you want to include some wet/dry function, you can omit the parametric eq but run the risk of certain frequencies being way too hot.

Ahhh... I see it now. Good thinking. You are exactly right.

is there anyway to uninstall FruityLoops from my PC should the occasion call for it?

Start>Settings>Control Panel (or just Control Panel on XP), open Add/Remove Software and uninstall FruityLoops. Then just delete all the redundant shortcuts/directories.

Edit: While I'm aware not many people will be reading this, there isn't an uninstaller, and what NembaTheKid says before me is the correct way of uninstalling it.

So I'm sure that this has been adressed before, but there are 65 pages, 65 people!!!

Anyway, if you don't want to answer, but rather point me in the direction of what page the answer is on, that would be great. Anyway.....

So I was looking at the tutorials on fruityloops, and I noticed a very cool feature. The percussion was on the piano roll. How the heck to you assign a specific piece of percussion onto each note of the piano roll??? It made it very easy to create really cool drumloops as well as cool freestyling percussion. Anyway, an answer would be appreciated.

Thanx

Edit; 67 pages

So I'm sure that this has been adressed before, but there are 65 pages, 65 people!!!

Anyway, if you don't want to answer, but rather point me in the direction of what page the answer is on, that would be great. Anyway.....

So I was looking at the tutorials on fruityloops, and I noticed a very cool feature. The percussion was on the piano roll. How the heck to you assign a specific piece of percussion onto each note of the piano roll??? It made it very easy to create really cool drumloops as well as cool freestyling percussion. Anyway, an answer would be appreciated.

Thanx

Edit; 67 pages

Woah... YOU CAN DO THAT? HOW HOW HOW HOW?! XD

Anyway, I have a simple question of my own. How can you revert from piano roll to step sequencer?

Nasenmann: That's not normal. Sounds like a problem with the installation ... Hate to suggest it, but it might be worth reinstalling FL to see if you get the same problem. There are certain plugins that sometimes reset themselves in FL, however (I've heard 4.x.x's soundfont player is notorious for reseting itself, and I've had experiences with plugins not retaining their settings), but if it's happening with everything, there's something wrong.

Frictional Antidote: You can use a layer to do that. Right-click one of your channels and select "insert channel", or click "Channels" on the top menu bar and select "Add one", and select "Layer" from the list. Now, with the Layer's Channel Settings box open, select all the channels that you want to have controlled by the layer (you can do this by either clicking and holding while dragging the cursor over the green selected channel lights, or put the channels you want controlled in their own filter group and select all of them from there. It's important you keep the layer's channel settings box open, otherwise you'll have to do this again). Now, click "Set Children" in the layer's channel properties box. All the selected channels will now be controlled by the layer.

To control individual channels with the layer (for instance, to control drums), after you've set the layer's children, go to each of the channels controlled by the layer, and set the zone that the sample is triggered in. To do this, left-click above the note you want to trigger the sample with on the testing keyboard (channel properties). If you've got a lot of samples to trigger, though, you might notice that they detune as you set the trigger zones higher. To stop that, right-click above the same note set as the trigger zone. Now, the layer controls the samples. Note that you won't be able to trigger the samples with the step sequencer if they aren't on C5 without changing the step sequencer's trigger zones.

Rellik: It doesn't look like there's any easy way of doing it. Unless someone's written a macro, you'd have to do it manually.

Frictional Antidote: You can use a layer to do that. Right-click one of your channels and select "insert channel", or click "Channels" on the top menu bar and select "Add one", and select "Layer" from the list. Now, with the Layer's Channel Settings box open, select all the channels that you want to have controlled by the layer (you can do this by either clicking and holding while dragging the cursor over the green selected channel lights, or put the channels you want controlled in their own filter group and select all of them from there. It's important you keep the layer's channel settings box open, otherwise you'll have to do this again). Now, click "Set Children" in the layer's channel properties box. All the selected channels will now be controlled by the layer.

To control individual channels with the layer (for instance, to control drums), after you've set the layer's children, go to each of the channels controlled by the layer, and set the zone that the sample is triggered in. To do this, left-click above the note you want to trigger the sample with on the testing keyboard (channel properties). If you've got a lot of samples to trigger, though, you might notice that they detune as you set the trigger zones higher. To stop that, right-click above the same note set as the trigger zone. Now, the layer controls the samples. Note that you won't be able to trigger the samples with the step sequencer if they aren't on C5 without changing the step sequencer's trigger zones.

Heeeeeeey, cool. I didn't know you could do that. Not that I'll probably use it, but still good to know.

Thanx

Edit; 67 pages

Woah... YOU CAN DO THAT? HOW HOW HOW HOW?! XD

Anyway, I have a simple question of my own. How can you revert from piano roll to step sequencer?

question 1: find a drumloop in the browser, right click on it and select "open in new slicer channel"

question 2: delete evrything in the piano roll and it will go back to being the step sequencer.

Heeeeeeey, cool. I didn't know you could do that. Not that I'll probably use it, but still good to know.

I find it's useful if I want to write breaks or glitchcore, although they're not really your style, I suppose. :P It also comes in handy if I want to write a long rhythm without extending the step sequencer. However, in most cases it's much easier just to use the step sequencer.

The mixer is probably the most important single tool in FL... well, maybe next to the Piano Roll. It is essential to mastering and fine tuning, but can have broad implications. Technically, you could do the same things without it with some really complicated synths that load synths as generators and... well, that's complicated and not worth it and probably impossible.

Anyway, here's how it works:

When you assign a generator to a Mixer, channel, the audio that that generator makes is threaded into that channel. Thus, any effects you put on that channel of the Mixer will affect all the audio that is channeled through it.