FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

Should I stick with CoolEditPro or should I get a new version of FrootyLoops? I'm not really sure which one is better, but at the moment I only know how to record with CoolEditPro and don't know how to use any of the effects and synths. Should I get FrootyLoops or could soemone help me out with CoolEditPro? Any help would be great. Thanks! :D

I've gone through the whole advanced tutorial on the Peak Controller. However, when I go to implement my own peak controller and assign it to, lets say, the pan controller of the sample I am using, no sound comes out.

I remember something about having to add a sample or instrument so the peak controller could audiblize, but, I am still very confused on it. Does anyone have a quick detailed process on how I can fix this problem (it also happens with the Bass Boost effect)?

Thanks in advance

The peak controller outputs the volume level of a channel as a number which can be linked to a knob or something.

For example, I use the peak controller to make some cool gated synth brass sounds. Here's what I do.

I make a sampler channel and load up a high-hat sample into it. I set that to FX channel 5 (this is arbitrary). In FX channel 5, I add the peak controller. Then I write some kind of cool pattern in the hit hat channel using piano roll.

I add a soundfont player and load up one of my synthy brass soundfonts. I set this to a different FX channel than the peak controller is set to, like FX channel 6. Now I write some sustained chords into the soundfont channel.

Then I right click on the volume knob for the soundfont channel and go to "Link to controller..." In the dialog box that pops up, I go to the internal controller option and select the peak controller on FX5. I hit all the checks and everything to get out of that dialog.

Now, when I hit play, I hear the synthbrass chord sounds coming in following the pattern I wrote into the high hat line. Note that you can't hear the high hat here. The peak controller automatically mutes whatever you feed into it. There's an option on the Peak Controller window to unmute it, but I never use that.

The mute might be your problem. Remember though, you usually don't want to use the peak controller in the same FX channel as the sound you want to hear. Keep the PC in it's own FX channel, like 16 or something, and label it so you know what it is. The controller is something that sends the numerical data to another channel in order to control a certain option like volume.

Hope that helps.

Yea actually it did help. Thanks a bunch.

I had some ideas after I saw that tutorial to add to my Megaman X Boomer Kuwanger song (just finished and am in the process of adding neat effects to it).

I would like to post it up in the WIP Forum, however, I do not have a Website to host it on. Guess I'll have to consider starting one of those too.

Anyway, thanks again. It solved the problem and thanks for the fast response as well.

So, here's another question for you all.

Do you find a use for samplers other than FL's built-in one? Specifically, drum samplers. People are always raving about "DR-008", "RM IV", not so much but "Battery", and I'm thinking that the appeal of these is basically just for people who use something that doesn't have a built-in sampler, or at least a sampler that's not as good as FL's. Is there anything I'm missing out on, or something? Does it help with the drum programming?

Ok, I know you guys will hate me for this, 'cause the question's been asked a trillion times, but I'm sorta in a hurry here and I haven't found any solutions yet. I write most of my MIDI tracks in Sibelius, but when I import them to FL I can't hear a thing. I've tried messing around with things, but I'm at a loss. I used Cubase for a couple months before I got my new PC (Cubase is gone), but since last year I've forgotten a whole lot about anything, and though Fruityloops is similar, I'm not having any luck with getting any sound (I can already hear you guys laughing at me). Basically, nearly everything I knew a little over a year ago has simply been erased from my mind. I suspect it has something to do with the type of MIDI files Sibelius uses, but there's no way I can tell.

Anyone gracious enough to help? Once I get past this (no doubt simple) problem, I'm sure I'll get right back to what I was doing last year. Just now I be confuzzled.

Cool Edit is a multi-track wave recorder/editor. Fruityloops is a MIDI sequencer. You're comparing apples and oranges.

So in fruityloops you're just feeding it a MIDI file and editing the way it sounds?

Not necessarily a MIDI file, but yeah, you're sequencing notes and FL plays it back.

With CEP, you drop wave files onto channels and specify when they play. It's a mixer. You can't WRITE NOTES with CEP.

With FruityLoops, you actually write the notes using the piano roll, and those notes are rendered using generators like samplers, soundfont players, and assorted VSTi's.

I have a new problem now: the clock does strange. I've the step display and the minute display on, but the clock counts very slowly. For example, when it ends normally after 3 minutes, the clock says it ends after 4 minutes.

very strange

the clock counts in beats and measures, not seconds and minutes.

I have a new problem now: the clock does strange. I've the step display and the minute display on, but the clock counts very slowly. For example, when it ends normally after 3 minutes, the clock says it ends after 4 minutes.

very strange

Most of the time, yes, but if you set it up to count minutes instead of bars, it should show minutes and seconds.

KirbyMixer: That sounds unusual, and unless you haven't set it up properly (it's always easy to make simple mistakes), there's something very wrong with it.

very strange

Most of the time, yes, but if you set it up to count minutes instead of bars, it should show minutes and seconds.

KirbyMixer: That sounds unusual, and unless you haven't set it up properly (it's always easy to make simple mistakes), there's something very wrong with it.

You can set it to show seconds and minutes? please tell me how.

Click the time.

Anyway, here's an ordering question:

Once you've ordered it (the downloadable version) what do you do? Do you get sent an e-mail with the download link eventually, or something? I've gotten the purchase verification e-mail, but I just need to know what to do now.

Also:

The lifetime free updates isn't just between like 4.1 and 4.5, right? It extends to 5?

Click the time.

Anyway, here's an ordering question:

Once you've ordered it (the downloadable version) what do you do? Do you get sent an e-mail with the download link eventually, or something? I've gotten the purchase verification e-mail, but I just need to know what to do now.

Also:

The lifetime free updates isn't just between like 4.1 and 4.5, right? It extends to 5?

A coupl of days after you order, you'll be sent a username & password email, put those into the thing at flstudio.com and you'll get a regkey, run it, when you have the demo installed and it will be the full version.

Yes the lifetime free upgrades extends to 5, 6, and for ever.

I'm just wondering. Would you FL thread people be really interested in having this thread cleaned and trimmed up? Pointless posts, redundant questions, etc removed. I ask because it would be a huge effort given all the pages this thread has. Is it worth it? If yes, would anyone more familiar with FL and this thread be willing to help me?

OMG! Thank you so much for supplying me with the demo link. This program is unbelieveable. It does so much more than I could ever do on my own with my keyboard. This will definetly help. My only problem is...i have no freaking idea what the hell i am doing! Can anyone supply me wit ha manual or instructions? Thanks...

DM Lee was compiling a summary of it at one point. I don't know what happened to it, though.

I think Mythril's onto something there. We could go through the thread, compile all the questions answered into a single post/page/database/whatever, get rid of this thread and start a new one with a link to this new FAQ in it (or just post the whole thing on the first page, but even with all the redundant questions gone, that'll still take up a lot of space). If you decide to go ahead with it, I could probably help, what with me being unoccupied far too much lately.

Edit: The FL website has a "Getting Started" guide on the "Downloads" page. And ... Yeah, blows you away the first time, doesn't it? :wink:

OMG! Thank you so much for supplying me with the demo link. This program is unbelieveable. It does so much more than I could ever do on my own with my keyboard. This will definetly help. My only problem is...i have no freaking idea what the hell i am doing! Can anyone supply me wit ha manual or instructions? Thanks...

Err... You're welcome :). Again, go to the downloads section of www.flstudio.com there is a getting started guide there.

EDIT: oops skulkrusha, didn't see you allready posted it.