FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

without cable and unemployment, i cant exactly look through all 81 pages of this thread... sew, has anyone made a FAQ out of this... and put it all in order of relativity?

im getting cable soon... so if someone needs help, im usually quite easily entertained by monotonous tasks that other people find somewhat helpful

but i could really use it myself :)

THere is a faq type thing being made (again) but as I also attempted the task before I know how much work it is (i could barely get past the first like 16-20 pages myself) so I wouldnt be surprised if it either doesnt get finished or turns out with a strong start and kinda get half assed towards the end (not saying anyoen here would do bad work, but after going through so many pagesyou get tired of doing everything as perfect as possible).

I for one hope it gets finished because I used to browse this thread for little bits of info I'd forgotten and refresh myself of the capabilities of fl.

Good luk with the task guys.

without cable and unemployment, i cant exactly look through all 81 pages of this thread... sew, has anyone made a FAQ out of this... and put it all in order of relativity?

im getting cable soon... so if someone needs help, im usually quite easily entertained by monotonous tasks that other people find somewhat helpful

8O YES! Another volunteer! Myself and the other person already working on the FAQ project could do with more help, so as soon as you're ready, let us know and we'll find a spot for you to work on.

Besides upgrading your processor, is there any way to reduce system strain from VSTis in FL?

You could buy a soundcard/ASIO interface for your computer. They can help relieve the strain of VSTs/DXs. If you're not looking to spend any money, the other thing you can do is to increase the buffer length under Settings>Audio>Directsound Properties. Although this will reduce performance and increase latency, it'll still help. You could also streamline your computer for audio work, but since I expect you don't have a dedicated audio computer, there probably won't be much of an advantage in that.

8O YES! Another volunteer! Myself and the other person already working on the FAQ project could do with more help, so as soon as you're ready, let us know and we'll find a spot for you to work on.

I could help you out with this myself but I'm bat englihs. But anyways, if you feel like I could be of any help I'll be happy to lend you a hand.

All you really need to be able to do at this stage is to be able to tell who is talking to who, what the questions are and who's answering them. Later on, once we've finished, we'll do some sorting and edit the questions and answers for relevancy, but at this point, it's fairly straightforward. You should be fine if you're in.

If you want, go back and archive pages 40-45 to start with (I missed a few when I started), and if you think you can manage more, PM either myself or Mythril Nazgul and we'll give you some more to do.

Anyone else? The more, the merrier! :D

I appear to always get these two error messages in Fl....

"Error reading the FLP file which may be corrupted." - Then whenever I try to open my projects- it won't allow me to...

and...

"Division by zero" - appears whenever I try to resize the playlist window...

help....me....

NODSPAW51: There's one on the FL website under the "downloads" section.

jordsau: You can't really do much about the first problem, unfortunately. I have been able to get old corrupt projects working on later versions of FL, but that might not be much of an option. Generally, that sort of thing can happen when your power supply isn't constant, so it might be worth investing in a surge protector power board (it seems to work for me, at least). I've never really heard of your second problem before, though.

i think i used to get this problem on my old computer and the resolution was the 800x600, but now I always use 1024x786 and I havent seen the problem since, though this is also a new computer.

I never really "fixed" the problem, I just went to an older version of fruityloops... I only had the problem in fl 3.56

FruityLoops doesn't automatically assign all of your tracks to MIDI channels. In order to export to MIDI you need every channel to be a MIDI out channel.

There's a macro for this. Tools>Misc Macros>Prepare for MIDI Export.

This will change all of your channels to MIDI out channels.

DON'T SAVE THE FLP FILE THIS WAY, OTHERWISE YOU WILL LOSE ALL OF YOUR AUTOMATION AND SAMPLE SPECIFIC SETTINGS.

Just export to MIDI from there.

Is there any way to export songs using LAME MP3 encoder, from FL? Or should I export as a wav and then convert later? But, when I do that, it doesn't encode that suave way where it checks to see when 312kb is needed or 96k or whatever... Any help?

Is there any way to export songs using LAME MP3 encoder, from FL? Or should I export as a wav and then convert later? But, when I do that, it doesn't encode that suave way where it checks to see when 312kb is needed or 96k or whatever... Any help?

Solution: Do a casual check after encoding the file into mp3 after LAME with Windows Explorer. Shouldn't be too hard, at least for me it is not frustrating. Unless you suffer from quite the lack of patience, then I don't know how to fix it for you.

FruityLoops doesn't automatically assign all of your tracks to MIDI channels. In order to export to MIDI you need every channel to be a MIDI out channel.

There's a macro for this. Tools>Misc Macros>Prepare for MIDI Export.

This will change all of your channels to MIDI out channels.

DON'T SAVE THE FLP FILE THIS WAY, OTHERWISE YOU WILL LOSE ALL OF YOUR AUTOMATION AND SAMPLE SPECIFIC SETTINGS.

Just export to MIDI from there.

thanks, but now it saves all instrument as acoustic grand piano in the midi file, while I've already configured the instruments. And is there a way to listen to your midi out instruments in fruityloops?

You have to assign the instruments of each of the MIDI channels. FL isn't smart enough to assign the closest match to the original instruments on your MIDI channels.

To hear the MIDI instruments, put a Fruity LSD somewhere in the mixer (and make sure its MIDI port is set to the same number as your MIDI channels). I think I mentioned just this within the last 5-6 pages.

What do you mean by that? It keeps on reverting back to acoustic grand piano? Try setting it on the Fruity LSD if it won't stay put when you set it on the MIDI channels (or vice versa). If it keeps on doing it, check to see if there's any automation that's making the channels revert back (I think it's under Current Project>Automation). If there's no automation, then I don't know what's wrong.

that reminds me, I havent used fruity scratcher in a long time, but when I do, every time i open up the project that uses it in it, the scratches automatically plays (not while im playing the song, right after i open the project, i dont do anything at all and it just pops up and plays until i manually stop it and return it to its starting position).

Is there some reason for this, or is there a way to stop it?

I know its not event editing or anything like that because it is triggered automatically.

The only way ive stopped it was deleting it.

It has happened on every version of fruity loops ive used, so its not a version thing either.

The main problem with this is I have been wanting to get a mix going where i use a beat loop scratching through and on certain beats scratch in a voice and at the same time the melody line will be a harsh raw synth pattern that will also scratch in, and if i can figure out a good structure where the bassline can be a single note repeating off beat, i would just scratch that in...

Basically I want to mix something up where a number of the main sections would be scratching parts, not just programmed notes.

If i did this, the project would open up and kill my speakers by playing all the scratchers at once (i always mix with loud volume).