FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

i'm about to buy the producer edition, but i was wondering if anyone knew if the FL studio XXL offer is still avaliable? i'd like to know before i buy it and lose a chance to get all the plugins.

Here's something that's been bugging me for a damn long time: How many cents makes a 1-octave difference in the Channel Pitch editor?

MIDI pitch bending is such a bitch in FL...

There are 1200 cents in an octave. For future reference, this is not a FL term... "cents" are tuning measurements. Every 100 cents is a full new note, a half step up from the previous. 1200 cents= an octave.

i'm about to buy the producer edition, but i was wondering if anyone knew if the FL studio XXL offer is still avaliable? i'd like to know before i buy it and lose a chance to get all the plugins.

Anyway, even if you bought the producer edition FL studio, you can pay the difference between FL studio and FL XXL for the plugins.

Anyway, even if you bought the producer edition FL studio, you can pay the difference between FL studio and FL XXL for the plugins.

No man, XXL is a limited time offer; after a few weeks you'll have to pay full price for the rest of the stuff, instead of saving 40%. The total cost will be a lot more if he waits.

If you bought the soundfont player, it's a known issue that some people have problems getting the soundfont player to remember the settings. If you didn't buy it, the only two things you can do to stop the channel from deleting itself when you've saved is either to buy it or look for a free soundfont player (rsz audio makes a good one called sfz).

Question:

If I buy the online version of FL4, then can I back up all the downloaded files onto a cd or are the files copy protected. The reason I ask is because my system has been crashing alot, and I don't want to lose a piece of software I paid 150 dollars for. Thanks.

Question:

If I buy the online version of FL4, then can I back up all the downloaded files onto a cd or are the files copy protected. The reason I ask is because my system has been crashing alot, and I don't want to lose a piece of software I paid 150 dollars for. Thanks.

They let you download it as many times as you want, and they have the registry key generator on their site if you ever need it. The only thing you HAVE to back up is the username and passcode they give you.

I have a question regarding MIDI recording. Is there a way to get the latency down to a suitable level for recording (say, 6 ms)? I've done several tests, and I have concluded that the problem isn't that I just suck at timing (as I first thought). Often the MIDI responsiveness will be totally satisfactory during normal play and during recording, but the latency somehow affects it so that the actual recording of the MIDI sounds totally out of time while it sounded fine when you were actually doing the recording.

I haven't ruled out that this is all a perception issue, but I'm fairly sure that the main problem is that the latency is (by necessity; otherwise it will underrun) over 10 ms, thus producing noticable mis-recordings. The kX drivers have caused problems on several peoples' computers (including mine :( ) and I've tried the Wuschel ASIO driver, and it did do slightly better, but it still couldn't get it down to an accurate recording level. And this was all just on a blank project! Imagine trying to record inside a real, live, project with 17 synths and 26 FX channels with 3 effects on each channel under these conditions.

Anyway, I am asking for information here. I am still trying to rule out the idea that I just suck at timing, and my perception is somehow distorted at the time I'm playing to make it sound like it's relatively on time, but in reality it is horribly horribly not on time, which comes to light when I listen to the MIDI recording. And once I'm sure that's not the case, the next step is figuring out how the heck I can get MIDI recording latency down to a suitable level. I'm sure somebody out there must be doing this, but I have no idea how they can get such low latencies!

Wait, I have an SBLive! Is that a problem? I think it's an SBLive Economy edition... but my MIDI is going through USB anyway, so it shouldn't even interact with the soundcard, right? And softsynths do their processing on the CPU, as far as I know, not the sound card's processor... anyway, thanks for your help =).

Get a good MIDI interface on your box, or a soundcard with good ASIO drivers. Doing that can allow you to reduce the latency a little more. You could also consider streamlining your computer for audio work, but since I have my doubts you use your computer solely for audio work you might not be able to do that effectively.

Thanks for the tips, skulkrusha! What do you mean by a 'good' MIDI interface? If possible, I would appreciate some examples of a high quality MIDI interface. If necessary, I will buy a soundcard with good ASIO drivers; I'm going to be spending some money anyway, so while the flood-gates are open (everything I use is free besides FL) I might as well get a high quality soundcard. Unfortunately, you are correct; my computer is a coding computer, a music computer, an Internet computer, a graphic art computer, a 3-D modelling computer... if I could afford another one, I would get it and use it solely for music, but I can't. Thanks again for the ideas!

I was wondering if anyone can help me here...

I have fruity loops 3.4 - and all of a sudden the flp files that are used for building loops are not in flp format - but are in a wav file format.

I used to be able to open them as flp files, but no longer. THIS INCLUDES LOOPS I MADE which I used to be able to edit in FL, but now THEY TOO are wav files!

This means that when i try to use them to build loops, they cant be read or used in fruity loops. They ARE there in the folders, but stored as wav files.

HOW DO I GET THEM BACK TO FLP files so I can use them??? WHAT HAPPENED???

HELP would be appreciated!

jeff oster

What do you mean by a 'good' MIDI interface? If possible, I would appreciate some examples of a high quality MIDI interface.

By "good", I mean it's not going to be cheap. One of the better ones around is the RME Hammerfall. It does MIDI and audio in, and it got a good rave in Future Music. Unfortunately, it's around US$850, so it might be out of your range. It is top-of-the-line, though. MOTU also makes some widely hailed products, so you could look for some of their things, too.

Unfortunately, you are correct; my computer is a coding computer, a music computer, an Internet computer, a graphic art computer, a 3-D modelling computer... if I could afford another one, I would get it and use it solely for music, but I can't. Thanks again for the ideas!

It might be out of the question, but I've seen people using dual boot systems using one OS for general work and play, and the other streamlined for music. Just an idea ...

I have a question.

When I use a MIDI channel, pitch slide doesn't work, neither does polyphony set to 1 with portamento. Is it because of my sound card or anything ?

No, FL's slide only works with FL plugins. The FL slide isn't supported by the MIDI standard (it's the way it's programmed).

I have fruity loops 3.4 - and all of a sudden the flp files that are used for building loops are not in flp format - but are in a wav file format.

I used to be able to open them as flp files, but no longer. THIS INCLUDES LOOPS I MADE which I used to be able to edit in FL, but now THEY TOO are wav files!

This means that when i try to use them to build loops, they cant be read or used in fruity loops. They ARE there in the folders, but stored as wav files.

HOW DO I GET THEM BACK TO FLP files so I can use them??? WHAT HAPPENED???

Wow. That's wierd. You say your FLP projects have been turned into WAV files? ... You did buy it, didn't you? FL can read WAV files, anyway, but it doesn't open them as projects.

I have a question.

When I use a MIDI channel, pitch slide doesn't work, neither does polyphony set to 1 with portamento. Is it because of my sound card or anything ?

No, FL's slide only works with FL plugins. The FL slide isn't supported by the MIDI standard (it's the way it's programmed).

Is there another way to add a pitch bend effect to a midi with FL, then ?