FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

Is it just me or are the download speeds from 'SampleFusion.com' terrible? I'm getting 2 kB/s on 1 Mbit Broadband here!

I don't know if that's normal, but try downloading from there when internet traffic is lower. It could be just that their servers are experiencing a lot of load.

Also, where is this FAQ you speak of? Need to find out how to get 'internal controllers' working and other stuff too.

FAQ is still being worked on. I'm one of the two or three people who are meant to be working on it ... I'm at the stage of categorizing the questions and answers, so hopefully it won't be long before it's all finished. I might post the raw archive later, but it's kind of messy to look through right now.

Anyway, thanks for all the help, don't want to bother you too much again, but if you could aid me in my pursuit of more FL knowledge, I'd be grateful. :)

We don't mind answering your questions, just try not to ask questions we already answered on the previous page :wink:

Anyway, is there any way to disable all the VSTi's while recording?

There's a plugin which specifically does that, but I forget what it's called or where I saw it ... Anyway, muting the channel seems to do the same thing, although it's not dynamic.

I've seen something called "FX Freeze", which wasn't what I was thinking of, but it seems to do more or less the same thing as what this other plugin does. It's on KVR.

how do I use .sfpack files?

You need to get a utility called SfPack (it's free and you should be able to find it on Google), then use it to decompress the .sfpack file. You'll then get the SF2 file from that, which you can use normally.

Ook, I have a couple more questions. First, how do I add effects to my soundfonts and generators, and second, why is it that when I click on one of my channels the window sometimes comes up too small, and won't revert to it's normal size? Thanks.

Adding effects to your generators is something that's available in the online help. Please check that out before asking such a basic question. That said, I'll answer your question, cause I'm a nice guy and I rock etc.

In your Channel Settings window for the generator there's an LCD number up at the top corner marked FX. That's the FX channel the generator is sending to.

You can drag that number up and down to change the FX channel.

In FL hit F9 to bring up the Effects/Mixer window. This will show you all the FX channels. Select the one that your generator is set to and start adding effects in the dropdown menus. FL has a bunch of them.

Experiment.

Anyway, like I said, something like this is a very simple question that can easily be figured out on one's own or by reading the manual. We're glad to answer questions, but please make an effort to help yourself with basic priciples. It's like asking how to change the tempo. :roll::wink:

Ook, I have a couple more questions. First, how do I add effects to my soundfonts and generators, and second, why is it that when I click on one of my channels the window sometimes comes up too small, and won't revert to it's normal size? Thanks.

Adding effects to your generators is something that's available in the online help. Please check that out before asking such a basic question. That said, I'll answer your question, cause I'm a nice guy and I rock etc.

In your Channel Settings window for the generator there's an LCD number up at the top corner marked FX. That's the FX channel the generator is sending to.

You can drag that number up and down to change the FX channel.

In FL hit F9 to bring up the Effects/Mixer window. This will show you all the FX channels. Select the one that your generator is set to and start adding effects in the dropdown menus. FL has a bunch of them.

Experiment.

Anyway, like I said, something like this is a very simple question that can easily be figured out on one's own or by reading the manual. We're glad to answer questions, but please make an effort to help yourself with basic priciples. It's like asking how to change the tempo. :roll::wink:

Ok, thanks. I'll look first next time.

EDIT:

That said, I'll answer your question, cause I'm a nice guy and I rock etc.

Quite true.

I have a question: is there an *easy* way of recording audio in FL? So far, the only way I know of is making a sampler channel, loading a wav, opening the wave editor, and recording from there, but that's really annoying. right now, I use another program for it, and supposedly, there is an easier way.

Yeah, but you need a soundcard with ASIO inputs. If you have that, you can route that input into FL's mixer (the "in" dropdown box at the bottom of the mixer; if you have any experience with routing vocoder channels this should be second nature to you), then you can record audio from that input using FL's disk record function. You'll need the Producer edition to do all this.

Okay, this has got to be the most annoying thing ever. Everytime I try to open my biggest song in FL, it says that a "WIN32 API function has failed." Then it won't close. Maybe this has something to do with the MIDI options opening everytime I open FL? For reference, I am using 3.5. Thanks!

I have a question: is there an *easy* way of recording audio in FL? So far, the only way I know of is making a sampler channel, loading a wav, opening the wave editor, and recording from there, but that's really annoying. right now, I use another program for it, and supposedly, there is an easier way.

Yeah, but you need a soundcard with ASIO inputs. If you have that, you can route that input into FL's mixer (the "in" dropdown box at the bottom of the mixer; if you have any experience with routing vocoder channels this should be second nature to you), then you can record audio from that input using FL's disk record function. You'll need the Producer edition to do all this.

ah, yeah. analoq just told me about this, and it works great. also, my soundcard doesn't have ASIO inputs, but with the asio4all driver, I was able to use this method. Very handy. thanks!

Okay, a couple of bugs.

First, when I try panning an instrument or whatever, If I pan it all the way to the right, I can still hear it in the left speaker just as well as in the right speaker, it just seems to get louder(and no, I am not mixing up the panning with volume). And then when I turn it left, I can still hear it in both speakers, but it seems to add a delay effect almost. This is a HUGE Issue.

And secondly, When I try to use automation(using the event editor), I will put in the data(for example, volume, fading in or out), but the automation wont play, it will play at the same volume, even though I automated it to fade in or out. Another huge bug. Thanks for you time, and any comments that can help rid me of these problems are appriciated. :wink:

hiya! I'm not a complete newbie, but i am trying to become more serious about remixing and the like. But for now, I have a slight problem.

After reading this post, I found a problem that I am having:

When exporting a MIDI, the exported file plays all channels as a piano. Needless to say, this is not what I want. The post earlier about this never got answered, can anyone help?

I DID make sure all the MIDI out channels were set to the instruments i wanted, and I have fiddled with the MIDI settings, but nothing helps. A little help please!?

I get the same exact thing. There is a program called Finale that takes MIDI's and seperates each track onto music paper. Here, yuou can change the instruments of the tracks to whatever you want, save it, than convert to an mp3 or keep it as a MIDI.

ah, yeah. analoq just told me about this, and it works great. also, my soundcard doesn't have ASIO inputs, but with the asio4all driver, I was able to use this method. Very handy. thanks!

Oooh, I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing, I'll stick it in the FAQ 8)

If I pan it all the way to the right, I can still hear it in the left speaker just as well as in the right speaker, it just seems to get louder(and no, I am not mixing up the panning with volume). And then when I turn it left, I can still hear it in both speakers, but it seems to add a delay effect almost. This is a HUGE Issue.

Sounds like your speakers are outputting in mono. That's not a bug, it's your computer/speakers.

Alternatively, if that doesn't happen all the time, some effects can cause the sound to be output in mono regardless of the panning of the generator channel ... Do you have the producer edition? If so, are you panning in the mixer? (Edit: Never mind, you use an old version of FL. This doesn't apply to you)

Once again, I suspect this isn't FL's fault.

And secondly, When I try to use automation(using the event editor), I will put in the data(for example, volume, fading in or out), but the automation wont play, it will play at the same volume, even though I automated it to fade in or out. Another huge bug.

If I remember correctly, you use an old version of FL, so I don't know if this is the case, but are you placing the pattern for the automation in the playlist? I've also noticed that some third-party plugins don't respond all that well to FL's automation, although that might not apply to this. You should also make sure that you've definately got an automation pattern (check Current Project>Automation in the sidebar).

When exporting a MIDI, the exported file plays all channels as a piano. Needless to say, this is not what I want. The post earlier about this never got answered, can anyone help?

I DID make sure all the MIDI out channels were set to the instruments i wanted, and I have fiddled with the MIDI settings, but nothing helps. A little help please!?

This has been answered several times, actually. If your MIDI Out channels are set to the correct instruments, make absolutely sure there's no automation causing the channels to revert to the piano setting (Current Project>Automation in the sidebar). If this doesn't work, run the FL diagnostic tool to see if anything's wrong (Help>FL Diagnostic Tool).

Hi. I;m new to FruityLoops and was wondering if there is a way to hook my keyboard up to my computer (via midi cable to usb port) and be able to actually play the sound and record it, then overlay it to a soundfont. Thanks...

If your keyboard has a MIDI output port on the back and you've got the USB-MIDI cable, you can send MIDI to anything on your computer that'll accept it.

MIDI isn't sound; it's a protocol which allows MIDI enabled devices and instruments to communicate with each other. You can record MIDI data with FL, which is explained in the help file under "Live Recording", but you cannot record audio through MIDI. To record audio, you'll have to hook up your keyboard to a line in on your computer with some sort of audio cable and record the audio that way.

I have no idea what you mean by "overlay it to a soundfont", but from your second post ... You want to record it as a soundfont? :? Firstly, FL can't do that, and I'm almost certain you want to sample your keyboard. I answered that question on the previous page.

Hi, im using Fruity 3.4 because i wasnt so comfortable with what FL Studio demo offered. I'm having one problem, the fruity soundfont player i have is a demo so when i use soundfonts it wont let me save them at all. So I was wondering if anyone knew where to get a free soundfont player that properly works with fruity loops, be alot of help, thanks.

Hi, im using Fruity 3.4 because i wasnt so comfortable with what FL Studio demo offered. I'm having one problem, the fruity soundfont player i have is a demo so when i use soundfonts it wont let me save them at all. So I was wondering if anyone knew where to get a free soundfont player that properly works with fruity loops, be alot of help, thanks.