FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

Sorry if this has been asked. Searching through 100 pages of posts seems a bit daunting right now...

But I have the demo version, and according to this it comes also with a demo version of the Fruity Soundfond Player. How do I open the Soundfont player, as I'm really quite sick of using the default samples.

Right. Also, what if I find soundfonts in the '.sfpack' format? Am I just unable to use them?

EDIT: Ai also found a useful one in the format '.sfArk' I'd really like to use some of these but FL only shows .sf2 in there :(

Right. Also, what if I find soundfonts in the '.sfpack' format? Am I just unable to use them?

EDIT: Ai also found a useful one in the format '.sfArk' I'd really like to use some of these but FL only shows .sf2 in there :(

ugh.. we really need a sticky just for this question. It's been asked several times already, and answered. I just answered it earlier today, in fact, in the sample thread.

sfArk, as you would have found out with a 10 second google search, is a soundfont compression format. You need the sfArk utility to decompress the files. Once you do, you will have usable sf2 files.

Really, people, it's not that hard to figure this out on your own.. that's how I did it.

Alright, FL question. Is it possible to edit entire selections of velocity data in the piano roll at once? I mean like, A: Is there any way to copy and paste velocity data and apply it to another selection of notes that aren't exactly the same, and B: Is it possible to raise or lower the velocity information of a selection without significantly changing the notes' velocity differences in relation to each other? Other than doing it manually, one note at a time...

In fact, if anyone has any sort of info about velocity editing in FL that can make it easier or faster, do tell.

No, but you can always paste the same notes and then just change their pitches, if it's the same rhythm.

Out of interest, how many of you are using the Collab beta at the moment? I know some of you are, but I'm still curious.

I've tried it. It's cool, but a bit useless to me since I have so many samples and VSTs/DXis that few people I know use, so we can't really collab using FLPs alone.

ArseAssassin: Collab is basically an FLStudio-endorsed program that makes it easy for people to collaborate on a single FLP. It incorporates chat, FL, and file uploading/downloading to make the job easier.

My soundfonts revert to default when I load my song. I have to load up the soundfonts that I use on every channel, every single time. Is my Fruity Soundfont Player a demo version probably? It could get hard to remember exactly what sound I used in each channel.

Also, I noticed many soundfonts have a low pitch ceiling and play nothing on high notes, and then I'm forced to use notes of a lower octave. Surely there's a way around this.

Some soundfonts just don't have sounds for some key ranges. There's no real way to 'fix' that unless you manually edit the soundfont.. it will probably sound bad if you do. Also, you can tell if your SF player is a demo if it says "demo" when you add it as a plugin. Your problem is a bit different from the usual SF player demo problem (the channels getting deleted) though..

Well, that is odd. And it doesn't say 'Demo' on the sounfont player. Well, as long as I don't use like 50 different instruments I shouldn't be totally screwed. Still irritating, though. BTW, the Squidfont Orchestral samples really sound good. No wonder it had to be 60mb.

And for high pitches, maybe I can play some slower low notes, export it to wav and raise the speed, and slap it on my completed piece later. It sounds ghetto, but that's the only solution I can think of.

My soundfonts revert to default when I load my song. I have to load up the soundfonts that I use on every channel, every single time. Is my Fruity Soundfont Player a demo version probably? It could get hard to remember exactly what sound I used in each channel.

Also, I noticed many soundfonts have a low pitch ceiling and play nothing on high notes, and then I'm forced to use notes of a lower octave. Surely there's a way around this.

Some soundfonts just don't have sounds for some key ranges. There's no real way to 'fix' that unless you manually edit the soundfont.. it will probably sound bad if you do. Also, you can tell if your SF player is a demo if it says "demo" when you add it as a plugin. Your problem is a bit different from the usual SF player demo problem (the channels getting deleted) though..

Well, that is odd. And it doesn't say 'Demo' on the sounfont player. Well, as long as I don't use like 50 different instruments I shouldn't be totally screwed. Still irritating, though. BTW, the Squidfont Orchestral samples really sound good. No wonder it had to be 60mb.

And for high pitches, maybe I can play some slower low notes, export it to wav and raise the speed, and slap it on my completed piece later. It sounds ghetto, but that's the only solution I can think of.

If you have to do that, you probably should not be using that sample for notes of that pitch.

What's this Collab you're talking about?

The Collab that's being rumoured around is a new tool being made by Imageline that allows to connect FruityLoops to other computers, like how Cubase SX can run on multiple computers, increasing the amount of RAM and CPU that you can use by how many computers you are using.

What's this Collab you're talking about?

The Collab that's being rumoured around is a new tool being made by Imageline that allows to connect FruityLoops to other computers, like how Cubase SX can run on multiple computers, increasing the amount of RAM and CPU that you can use by how many computers you are using.

Uh.. no, it definitely does not do that. In fact, my projects were probably MORE CPU-intensive under collab. It's basically a chat client that lets you upload and download an FLP file quickly, and the FL program is 'bundled' as a window within the program for easy editing. When you finish a version, you can leave comments on it. Supposedly, sample uploading will come soon.

Hmmm... long time since I asked a Fruity Question here in this thread.

Anywho, I'm doing some rather weird experiments testing the sequencing capacities. I'm experimenting with 792,000 triggers per minute (or 13,200 triggers per second) and I'm trying to figger out how to turn off the retrigger functions because I don't want to always listen to a hushed bleep all the time.

And a second question: To make this task easier, is there a way to convert a txt file into flp file so that I can map this task out in a more user friendly manner and if so, does anyone know the code for it? I remember seeing it somewhere before but I can'r for the life of myself find it again.

Yeah, you need some ASIO drivers to do it, though (ASIO4ALL is alright if you don't have a soundcard with ASIO inputs, you can just use your computer's line in or microphone port then). After you've set up FL to use the ASIO drivers, which should be under audio settings in the tools>settings menu, you can then route your inputs into FL's mixer (go to any mixer channel and select "Inp 1 - Inp 2" in the "IN" dropdown box at the bottom of the mixer if you're using ASIO4ALL, although it might be called something different with other ASIO drivers). I'm not sure if you need to have the Producer edition to do this or if it's just disk recording that's disabled, but that's how you do it.

Xel, I still haven't been able to figure either of those out ... perhaps it's something you should ask on the FL forums.