FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

I can't figure out how to use soundfonts. =/

I have this dethmetal.sf2 soundfont and I pasted it into the C:\Program Files\FLStudio4\Data\Patches\Soundfonts directory, used it in a song, saved the song, and came back to find it had reverted to something called "Nineteen."

Would someone please post step-by-step instructions for using (importing?) soundfonts?

Aw crap, I think I've been using a demo all this time.

EDIT: Okay, now I'm confused. To use a .sf2 file, you need to load it into your soundcard or something? I don't think I have a soundcard (I have SoundMAX integrated audio, I think), so will I not be able to use .sf2 files?

I have a terrible problem with making MIDI's in Fruityloops: when I export a flp file to midi, I only get acoustic piano and the standard drums in the midi. These are the steps I do when making a midi:

1) I make a midi out channel

2) I go to the instrumentsettings and change it to -for example- vibraphone.

3) in the master part of the mixer, I make the LSD and change the port to 0, which my midi instrument is too

4) I select Vibraphone on channel 1, which my midi vib. is too.

5) I select Microsoft Synthesizer instead of Avance AC97 Audio (because A AC97 Auio gives an error)

6) I close the mixer and the lsd and make some notes in the piano roll of the vib.

7) I play it, and hear the vib.

8 ) I save it as midi in File > Export > Midi file

perhaps the problem is that when I enable midi output, I get an error: "The given device is already in use. Wait till it's avaible and try it again" (translated from dutch, but I think it looks like that).

If you know what's going on, please help me.

I'm trying to link the cutoff of ts404 with my pitchblend on my keyboard. The problem is the pitchblend is auto linked to the pitch in FL. How do I remove it from the pitch? The pitch is the only thing that will work for a controller on my keyboard.

I have a terrible problem with making MIDI's in Fruityloops: when I export a flp file to midi, I only get acoustic piano and the standard drums in the midi. These are the steps I do when making a midi:

perhaps the problem is that when I enable midi output, I get an error: "The given device is already in use. Wait till it's avaible and try it again" (translated from dutch, but I think it looks like that).

If you know what's going on, please help me.

I followed your steps exactly and I was fine. I suspect there's a problem with your install of FL, or there's a hardware/software problem somewhere. Try running the FL diagnostic tool if you're a registered user (help>FL Studio Diagnostic Tool).

I followed your steps exactly and I was fine. I suspect there's a problem with your install of FL, or there's a hardware/software problem somewhere. Try running the FL diagnostic tool if you're a registered user (help>FL Studio Diagnostic Tool).
FL test results

1 installation of FL was found

1. Fruityloops 4.1 Location: "C:\Program Files\FLStudio4\"

VST plugins will be searched in:

"C:\Program Files\FLStudio4\Plugins\VST\"

FL will use the slicer tool located at "C:\Program Files\FLStudio4\System\Tools\BeatSlicer\zx_bs_d.exe"

You have no registered FL plugins or tools

System test results

You are running Microsoft Windows XP, version 5.1

You have the following servicepack installed: Service Pack 1

Windows is installed in "C:\WINDOWS\"

The program files location is "C:\Program Files\"

Your system has 1 processor

The cpu is a Unknown CPU Type running at 2002MHz

You have 511MB physical and 2048MB virtual memory

You have 1 monitor set to 32bit color for a desktop resolution of 1024x768 pixels

You have administrator privileges

3rd party software

No 3rd party applications that may interfere with FL were found

DirectX test results

You have DirectX 9.0 installed

DirectX reported version 4.09.00.0902

You have 2 DirectSound devices

Primair geluidsstuurprogramma

Avance AC97 Audio

You have 1 DXi softsynths and no DX effects installedName Kind I/O

fadxirw synth (DXi)

ASIO test results

No ASIO devices were found

VST test results

0 VST plugins were found, of which 0 synths, 0 effects and 0 unknown

ReWire test results

No ReWire devices were found

I don't see anything wrong

I have a question about soundfonts in FL. Is there a way to add vibrato(maybe in an event editor window) to soundfonts? It doesn't matter too much to me if I can use the mod wheel on my keyboard with it or not, just that the capability for vibrato exists for soundfonts in FL(and I hope the solution isn't to put a ton of pitch bends up and down alternating along the length of the vibrato).

Also, for soundfonts, would the Crystal VST (www.greenoak.com/crystal/) be a better plugin to use for soundfont playback?

I need to know whether Crystal would be better than the FL Soundfont Player since most of my sounds come from soundfonts, and I need to know about vibrato for the same reason. Thanks.

I have a question about soundfonts in FL. Is there a way to add vibrato(maybe in an event editor window) to soundfonts? It doesn't matter too much to me if I can use the mod wheel on my keyboard with it or not, just that the capability for vibrato exists for soundfonts in FL(and I hope the solution isn't to put a ton of pitch bends up and down alternating along the length of the vibrato).

Also, for soundfonts, would the Crystal VST (www.greenoak.com/crystal/) be a better plugin to use for soundfont playback?

I need to know whether Crystal would be better than the FL Soundfont Player since most of my sounds come from soundfonts, and I need to know about vibrato for the same reason. Thanks.

Kawaru -

Vibrato is always possible by using an LFO, however with Crystal you can't do that. The best possible way to do vibrato is just by using an 'edit event' wave, or by using the Fruity Formula controller and using that to modulate the pitch or volume, based on how you want your vibrato to sound.

As for Crystal, i've found that its got its good parts and its bad parts - some are ok, some are just CPU rhinos. Take your pick...but SF isn't that bad either.

:twisted: