FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

Thanks for all the answers, guys. I did some messing around of my own yesterday and found that I could link the mod wheel on my keyboard to the modulation knob on the Fruity SF Player.

So I guess that works for what I need, but it doesn't seem to make much difference for soundfonts where the samples already have vibrato. I'm assuming the only solution to that is to find non-vibrato samples.

Nemba, I'm also going to check out the player you linked to and see how well I like it.

Is it possible to import WAV's or MP3's to FL? i want to use pieces of other songs in some of my compositions, but im not sure how to cut them out of the actual songs...

Well, the basic way that I would do that is simply using the Audio Clip channel in Fruity. Just plug that in, and use it liek you'd use a sampler. You could theoretically use a sampler also, but the AC is a lot more specialized.

No Mp3s, though - it only takes OGG or WAV files. sry.

:twisted:

Please excuse my noobishness, but all the thread links on the first page do not work anymore. Could someone re-copy new/updated links (just beginning tutorials, etc)?

It would be rather painfull to search through this 100-page thread for the new links.

Thanks.

-sidar

They don't work because they've been purged. This thread is quite old, and those threads linked to on the first page have been deleted since then.

It's not so hard to use the Search function on the top right under the OCR banner to look for things around here, btw. If you're looking for a beginner's guide, there's one on the FL Studio website under the "downloads" section.

I'm trying to use MIDI input with FL Studio, and never done it before. Before I can start I still need to buy a cable but I'd like to know the steps beforehand.

Now the manual for the Korg Electribe (the device I'll be using) explains how to connect with other MIDI devices but doesn't go into computer programs in general. Should I expect FL Studio to recognize almost any MIDI device? What can it do then? I'm hoping I can do something like dump my sequence patterns into a piano roll, and adapt it to different samples.

All I'm doing right now is recording the music straight through line-in, and putting them as WAV loops in FL. I think it's time for some more flexibility.

I'm trying to use MIDI input with FL Studio, and never done it before. Before I can start I still need to buy a cable but I'd like to know the steps beforehand.

Now the manual for the Korg Electribe (the device I'll be using) explains how to connect with other MIDI devices but doesn't go into computer programs in general. Should I expect FL Studio to recognize almost any MIDI device? What can it do then? I'm hoping I can do something like dump my sequence patterns into a piano roll, and adapt it to different samples.

All I'm doing right now is recording the music straight through line-in, and putting them as WAV loops in FL. I think it's time for some more flexibility.

so you're saying you don't like the idea of simply recording your MIDI and just importing as a MIDI file? well, if oyu don't want the easiest way to do it, then under the opening screen in FL you should be able to selsct your MIDI settings. Check under settings - there should be something in there about MIDI input - just make sure you've got the driver in your comp.

have fun with that. my personal recomendation is to hack Finale of a sort and input it into there - its much nicer about inputs and such. then just save as a MIDI and import.

Hey, I'm having an odd problem with Fruity Loops Studio. Every so often when I'm working on something, the CPU usage suddenly flys through the roof and makes everything go batty. I have to wait for it to "calm" back down to around 10 before I can really continue to do anything. It's rather obnoxious as it does this QUITE often. Anybody have an idea on how to fix this?

Hey, I'm having an odd problem with Fruity Loops Studio. Every so often when I'm working on something, the CPU usage suddenly flys through the roof and makes everything go batty. I have to wait for it to "calm" back down to around 10 before I can really continue to do anything. It's rather obnoxious as it does this QUITE often. Anybody have an idea on how to fix this?

Close programs.

Use less layers and extra stuff.

Maybe your computer just sucks. I would say to close random crap programs that are sucking down your cpu usage.

it happens to me once and a while - so do what you think is best. Its partially because FL hogs more memory than a fat man hogs space on a bench seat.

Are you using a Pentium 4 processor? If so, it could be a Denormal problem. I don't actually know anything about denormal, but it will make your CPU fly through the roof at odd times.

Besides that, I'll just ask what drivers you're using. I don't know if this is related, but when I was using the WDM drivers that came with my SBLive!, (and this also happened with ASIO4All), a similar sort of thing happened. The kX drivers now have eliminated that problem.

Yeah, as long as you've got all the right cables and stuff going into your compy and the correct MIDI inputs (ie. if you're using a MIDI input on your soundcard, it'll be your soundcard, or if it's some sort of other thing like a USB-MIDI cable, it'll be the name of that cable) and ports (0 or omni is usually best if you're only using one MIDI device) are selected, FL will accept MIDI signals from your Electribe (it won't know specifically that it's an Electribe, however it will be able to send and recieve messages from it). There's a section on MIDI recording in the help file.

Are you using a Pentium 4 processor? If so, it could be a Denormal problem. I don't actually know anything about denormal, but it will make your CPU fly through the roof at odd times.

Besides that, I'll just ask what drivers you're using. I don't know if this is related, but when I was using the WDM drivers that came with my SBLive!, (and this also happened with ASIO4All), a similar sort of thing happened. The kX drivers now have eliminated that problem.

Hm... well, I DO have a Pentium 4. It's a 2.0. I guess I could check into that Denormal problem. It only happens with FL though, and I don't know if this Denormal thing is supposed to happen all the time, or just with FL. As for my sound card and drivers etc, I have a SBAudigy. So... yeah.

I want to use SFZ which was suggested to me earlier in this thread, but I don't know how to control vibrato with it.

With the Fruity SF player I know how to link the LFO knob to the mod wheel on my keyboard, but I'm not sure how to do something like this when there's not already a knob there. Is it possible?

I want to use SFZ which was suggested to me earlier in this thread, but I don't know how to control vibrato with it.

With the Fruity SF player I know how to link the LFO knob to the mod wheel on my keyboard, but I'm not sure how to do something like this when there's not already a knob there. Is it possible?

I think so. You could do that, or just use Formula Controller to get it to work. Either should work. However, vibrato sounds a little better if you do it with volume, not as much as with pitch. I know its supposed to be pitch but it can sound funky if you don't get your length right.

Check the parameter list of SFZ and experiment with linking the modwheel as a controller to some of them. Not sure which one would control vibrato, necessarily, but you should be able to find it with some experimentation.

Also, prophet, it's not really cute, funny, or unique to put a :twisted: at the end of all your posts, it's just annoying.

Also, prophet, it's not really cute, funny, or unique to put a :twisted: at the end of all your posts, it's just annoying.

Please.

I get this everywhere. Its a signature, man - some of the guys over in UnMod tried to yell at me about it but one of the moderators chewed them out for it. just don't hate the face, man. look up mephisto - you'll see why.

Just don't hate the face.

Besides...would you rather have me or some loser who proliferates those things all over the place? I use them once a post - and anyways, if you feel like calling me out use a PM or an UnMod thread - not the fruity thread.

I'm not trying to be cute, funny, or unique - that's just what i do. its what i've always done, and its what i will continue to do until i leave these forums.

Subject closed.