FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

There's an entire section in the help file dedicated to CPU usage reduction. What tends to work for me is increasing the latency (settings>system>audio, then increase the buffer length, providing you're using the default directsound drivers), although if it's a problem having too much latency you could try using different drivers (ASIO4ALL works well for me, and I think there's some sort of KX drivers available, but I don't know where).

Thanks for this...its been a problem for me for a long time. I appreciate it.

:twisted:

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question - how can I fade between different effect channels? Say I have a track on FX 1, and I want it to fade into FX 4 over the span of about 5 measures... how do I do this? At least, I THINK that's how it's done, judging from songs I've heard in the past. Thank you.

Quick question - how can I fade between different effect channels? Say I have a track on FX 1, and I want it to fade into FX 4 over the span of about 5 measures... how do I do this? At least, I THINK that's how it's done, judging from songs I've heard in the past. Thank you.

What specifically are you trying to do? Because you can't really FADE between FX tracks, unless you use Send tracks.

Most things can be solved by actually automating the levels of the effects IN the FX channels themselves.

I'm not entirely sure how to do it. Like, say you have a channel that has a muffled sound. Then you make it gradually transition into a cleaner, brighter sound.

I'm not quite hip to your jive lingo yet, so you'll have to bear with me there.

I think what you're talking about is automation. DarkeSword's right, there's no way of doing exactly what you said other than using send fx channels, and what you've described there could be done with a low pass filter.

There's an entire section to do with automation in the help file. If you want to do what you described before, try experimenting with a Fast LP, you should get results like what you described.

edit: btw DarkeSword & Zircon, neither of you responded to my post at the top of the previous page. I'm serious about not being able to get it to work and I'm inclined to believe it's impossible without additional hardware. I'd be interested in getting it to work if it's possible, but it doesn't bother me if it isn't.

SSB, You need to go to the mixer, link the channel to one of the tracks then add a filter or free filter to the track, now right click the knob on the right and click edit events, now gradually decrease the filter for about 4 bars or so

Uh yeah, Zircon is right. You don't need LSD for MIDI playback.

??

explain plz

I did, several times. You create MIDI OUTs, configure your ports, sequence notes, you have MIDI. I have the mapper on port 0, main output (microsoft wavetable or whatever) with no port. I will hear GM sound if I set my MIDI outs to port 0. very simple!

Doesn't seem to work, could you take a screenshot of your settings or something?

Uh.. here.

http://www.soundtempest.net/z/midiout.PNG

I hit a note on my PCR, I hear GM through the MIDI out.

Thanks zircon. It still doesn't seem to work for me, but you seem to have a bit more stuff on there than me (whether or not it means anything), so I'm guessing you have a slightly different setup to me (just using a laptop with default soundcard and no external MIDI devices), but anyway, thanks for replying.

I think that is the difference. I dont need an LSD setup to hear MIDI on my desktop but i do need one on my laptop...i'm assuming that in the interests of space and weight that the auto-MIDI stuff was cut out in the transition from desktop to laptop.

Um... the controller + desktop/laptop has nothing to do with it. This worked on my old desktop setup too, with a crappy generic soundcard. No LSD needed.

I know, but laptops use a different type of card. what i'm saying is that prolly something in the miniturization process prolly caused this - thats all. nothing about how good the card is, its just different that way.

Actually, this doesn't work on my desktop machine either. :| But I've sorta stopped caring, so I'm not going to pursue it. I didn't have any real reason to do it other than to verify a statement, which would have proven very little in any case, and I'd much rather waste my time on music than on some trivial thing about the workings of my DAW.

It didn't work for me, it allegedly works for some people. I'm going to leave it at that.

how can i add distorted effects or static effects to isntruments? i know how to for the purple instruments but how would i with waves, soundfonts, packs, all that other stuff?

Assign 'X' Sample, soundfont, synth, etc. into a FX Channel. Go to that channel and select 'Fruity Blood Overdrive' or 'Fruity Fast Dist'. Two simple FX's that come with fruity loops and can be pretty effective if used right.

how can i add distorted effects or static effects to isntruments? i know how to for the purple instruments but how would i with waves, soundfonts, packs, all that other stuff?

Assign 'X' Sample, soundfont, synth, etc. into a FX Channel. Go to that channel and select 'Fruity Blood Overdrive' or 'Fruity Fast Dist'. Two simple FX's that come with fruity loops and can be pretty effective if used right.

If used right is correct. For the most part, I would use them in conjunction, with massive compressor/filter action. You might want to check out the Devil Inside - its a great VSTi that is produced by the same people who made Sun Ra, Baxxpander, Cosmogirl, and Elettronix. Check it out over at www.kvr-vst.com While you're there, get Bassline 2.0 - its worth the small download.

arrgg... the devil inside vst isnt downloading!!! could I get it some other way?

this sites so hard to navigate through and find stuff

I've expieremented with the FL filters and heres what i've got so far (copy and paste link into winamp). i used the dl_contained drumloop. can i get any more distortion using only original fl filters?

And im actually looking for a more cut up static effect rather than distortion

Sweet, thanks! it's working

now let's see what this baby can do!

Ummm.. I can't get it to work!! I don't how to use non FL filters with the channels, I've added it to the list and it's in the FX Channel but it's just not making any difference to the instrument

ack, some more help please?

Sweet, thanks! it's working

now let's see what this baby can do!

Ummm.. I can't get it to work!! I don't how to use non FL filters with the channels, I've added it to the list and it's in the FX Channel but it's just not making any difference to the instrument

ack, some more help please?

its not an FX, foo - its a seperate channel. Load it the same way you loaded it as an fx.

I'm sorry that Im posting what probably is a stupid question, but Im really stumped.

Im having problems making a sample play for the correct length that I want it to. It either plays for a certain amount of time, which means that my song sounds like a mess with a bunch of notes playing at the same time, or when I tell it to cut, I cant get any overlapping notes at all and it sounds really unatural. how do I make a sample play for the duration that I put in the Piano Roll?

I'm sorry that Im posting what probably is a stupid question, but Im really stumped.

Im having problems making a sample play for the correct length that I want it to. It either plays for a certain amount of time, which means that my song sounds like a mess with a bunch of notes playing at the same time, or when I tell it to cut, I cant get any overlapping notes at all and it sounds really unatural. how do I make a sample play for the duration that I put in the Piano Roll?

i can think of two things to try off the top of my head - i'll give you better ideas later when i pull out fruity.

:arrow: try the full porta selector in the channel properties screen

:arrow: use more than one sampler setup for various sounds. i've done that a few times to get a fuller sound out of the samplers and it will work - its just a little more work to get it totally sounding right.

anyone else have any ideas?