FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

thanks abg, this seems to have fixed the problem, but i can't be sure if it's just one of those lucky sessions i get for this particular song, or not.

arcana: i'll try your suggestions if i have any further problems, thanks :)

oh, and it's definitely not clipping, lol.

i do have another question, however...probably a very noobish one, lol.

when exporting a track...what exactly does 'disable max poly' do?

i was working on a song i did and when i played back the mp3, part of the melody would randomly cut out every 30 seconds, and come back in 10 seconds later (The channel for this sound was a 'fruity soundfont player' channel, never had a problem like this before with any soundfonts).

i tried a bunch of stuff to fix this, and finally i turned off 'disable max poly' and it sounds great.

should i always disable this option?

thanks again to all you guys, you are awesome:)

Glad that worked, noop. You might want to try it as well, AB. In case you're wondering, here's a really basic description of what actually happened when you moved that slider.

The problem you were having was that your computer was trying to render a lot of sound on the fly, almost in real time, which can be difficult on the system if you're trying to make a lot of different sounds at once (or really complex ones). So, by increasing the buffer length, you're telling the computer not only to render what you can hear immeadiately, but it also renders ahead a second or two ahead to 'lighten the load', so to speak.

Now, I'm not feeling particularly articulate so I'm going to quote a dictionary on the definition of a buffer, just to make sure you understand:

"(computer science) a part of RAM used for temporary storage of data that is waiting to be sent to a device; used to compensate for differences in the rate of flow of data between components of a computer system"

So, in short, its not a problem with your song so much as your computer having a hard time keeping up. Don't worry about keeping the buffer size high, though. I always have mine maxed out, and I know others have similar experience, too.

As for the "disable max poly" thing, here's a simple explanation. Your fruity instruments have Polyphony settings under their MISC tab (miscellaneous settings). In there is a number, default 32 I believe, that you can drag higher or lower. A polyphony of 32 means that instrument can only play 32 notes at a time. If you drag it down to, say, 3, then that fruity instrument can only play 3 notes at a time. If there are more than 3 (or 32) notes, then it will start cutting off other notes short in order to play the new ones. This can be advantageous for slower machines that can't handle playing many notes at once (or for creating an unusual sound effect).

So, when you check the "Disable Max Poly" box in the rendering settings, FL Studio will render the song as though the polyphony was set so high that it could accomodate every single note. Or, more accurately, it disables the maximum polyphony limit, so that every note can last its entire duration.

To summarize, polyphony = how many notes can be played. Disabling the polyphony = an infinite amount of notes could be played.

However, as to why turning the "disable max polyphony" off (effectively -enabling- the max polyphony) would mean you can suddenly hear new notes I can't imagine. I'd probably have to see the .flp to tell for sure O.o

Anyways, hope this helps!

for that whole discussion above about pops and cracks in FL Studio:

did you check the volume monitor?

also, if you fixed it already, no worries. but clipping makes pops and cracks and it's caused by the sound hitting the ceiling and flattening itself - you fix it by a) turning it down or B) doing other things that I have no knowledge of and someone else can probably help you better.

If I have my midi keyboard hooked up to my computer and can use it in other applications, how can I set it up so that I can record in FL with it? I've looked at every option, all over the intarweb, help file gave me no aid...

options -> MIDI settings -> remote control input.

set it to your device, i.e. the name of your keyboard. have you tried that already?

edit: also, you know how to make it record, right? click the record button on the playback control (so that it lights up) and make sure you have a pattern and chanel selected to record to. otherwise you'll have wasted a good bit of time. D:

Ok, thanks a ton. I swear I've tried that before, but now it seems to work. Only thing I have to work around now is having ir record for more than 64 beats.

So, uh, how can I get it to record without cutting me off after the stupid step sequencer decides to run out of time?

Ok, so I was working on a remix, and I opened up the piano roll, and i got an error message, I should've written it down, but it said something like "cannot find bla bla bla.bmp"

so i tried to open up FL again, and i got an illegal operation before it could open up.

Now I can't open it up, i scanned for viruses, all that crap, and i still can't open it without it crashing.

I'm thinking about reformatting...anyone had this problem before?

Ok, so I was working on a remix, and I opened up the piano roll, and i got an error message, I should've written it down, but it said something like "cannot find bla bla bla.bmp"

so i tried to open up FL again, and i got an illegal operation before it could open up.

Now I can't open it up, i scanned for viruses, all that crap, and i still can't open it without it crashing.

I'm thinking about reformatting...anyone had this problem before?

Check the skins folder(in FLStudio5/artwork/skins ).

All the contents are probably gone. The only way to get around that is to reinstall, make a copy of skins, and repaste its contest into the skins folder each time it happens. Only happened to me once awhile back.

SSB, I'm not sure if this is the type of solution your looking for, but I usually do it when I'm creating a fresh guitar clip.

I switch the playlist to live mode. It will continue to play/record until you press stop, and you won't have to "buffer" it with patterns.

Although, now that I think about it, I think your problem is much different... Sorry!

Now this is just a random tip!

Hmm... This will probably seem like a n00bish question, but I suppose this is the right thread for it(I hope).

Well I'm thinking of finally starting to remix. It'll help develop my musical ear and composing skills(and hopefuly, I'll be able to create some good stuff. :P). Anyway, I'm gonna go with Fruity Loops and I was wondering, which add-ons should I get along with it. Is there a prefered basic set?

Depending on what types of music you want to make, here's a couple of options:

Vanguard- the ultimate trance VST. Pretty much the only thing it's good for, though.

QuadraSID- Great for C64-style chiptunes.

z3ta+- A great, all-around synth. Supposedly it's mostly used for trance, but I've heard it used in many other genres.

I know there's some that I've forgotten, but in FL's bundled demo synths, Sytrus is pretty good, despite using massive amounts of CPU.