FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

ok so yesterday i was using FLStudio 5 for probably my 5th time (im new to it since switching off E-Jay BOO :evil:) so i was dragging and dropping my wave files to the playlist and lineing them up IT WAS ALL GOOD. Then i got uber tired shut off comp and forgot to save :cry: now i loaded it up and it wont let me add any pattern Wave or anything to the playlist and basically the only way i knew how to do this was by draggng and dropping. I wanted to know if anyone could help or if there was an alternate way to add tot the playlist.

SRY but i did check and i couldnt find similar problems and FLStudio's "help" isn't really help. Thanks

can you take a screenshot and link to it from somewhere? I think you may have clicked on the wrong tool in the playlist. check up in the top lefthand corner of the playlist window. there's a pencil, paintbrush, knifeblade, magnifying glass, etc. it sounds silly, but make sure the pencil/paintbrush is selected. I'm pretty sure the knife only works in the audio clips section. anyway, check that. if not, post screenshot.

Alright, Im sure this has probably been asked before (thats a great way to start out a question, huh?) but with 130 pages, it seems impractical to search through them all. What Im asking though, is for someone to explain to me how to take advantage of the slide feature in the piano roll. I mean, I know what a slide is musically, and I've tried experimenting with it, but most of the time I just get these weird slides and I can't exactly get it to do what I want. So could someone explain the basic dynamics of the slide in FL, and how one can make the best use of it?

i recently figured out how to use it

BAAAASSSICALLY, you put the slide UNDER or ABOVE the note you want the slide to START. then, you place the slide thingy ON the note you want to slide the note TO. the beginning of the slide bar will mark where the slide begins, and the end, of course, where the slide ends.

so like, lets say you want to slide from a B down to an A

put a normal bar on B. Now, put the slide bar on A, but right UNDER (not overlapping, but under) the B note...and where the slide bar begins is where the slide will start, and where it ends is where it will end.

so just to clarify, there will only be two bars in this slide. one for A, and one for B. the A note will actually be the slide bar thingy.

kinda hard to explain, plus im not familiar with the terms and shit, so yeah. ahah.

sora, is your playlist blue for any particular reason? I've never seen anything like that - but then again I just leave FL on all the default visual settings so perhaps you changed a skin around.

bobby, the slides are basically just that - slides. two things you'll need to pay attention to are voices (what color the notes are) and length of the slide. if you have two green notes and one green slide, both green notes will slide to the new note, giving you a generally unpleasant sound (although it's surely useful sometimes). that may be what happened to you. another thing to watch for is what kind of instrument/synth you're using. external VST can't slide, as far as I know, and soundfonts (for example, because they run on wav files) will sound gross if you slide them up or down too far. you know how your voice sounds when you octave it up in sound recorder to make prank calls and chipmunk albums? it's the same basic principle, only with strings and guitars instead of alvins.

let me know if any of this helps or applies.

edit: ok noop, let me help you clarify.

if you want to slide from A up to B, place a whole note (4 beats) on A. then click the slide button and place another whole note on B. now, DO NOT make the slide start at the same time as the note. this is an almost instant "wait, what was that." also, if you want to actually be able to hear the note you slid to, let the slide finish earlier than the original note.

also, you understand already that slide notes on their own do nothing, right? you have to have a normal note entered for them to do anything.

kungfu: yeah, I knew that. I asked mainly because I didn't know if HE (she? no matter, it's just the internet) knew you could. if he didn't know it, and it WASN'T that, it could be a problem, yes? anyway, I think color changing is a silly way to customize FL, because it looks pretty cool already.

sora, I don't know what the problem is. I'm sure it's something simple that we're all missing (it always is) but I don't know what that simple something might be right now. I'll keep looking.

Please forgive me if this has been covered before, but I need to know.

I'm running Kompakt as a VST through Fruity Loops, and I like to tweak the parameters for an instrument within the Kompakt interface (panning, EQ, volume, etc), however, when I hit play in FL, all the tweaking defaults back to zero. What am I doing wrong?

um..

I'm running a hacked copy of FL 4.1 right now (my purchased copy got mysteriously lost about the same time my friend got FL). More than 3/4 of the included samples don't work - in fact, all of them except for the drumsynths don't work. now, if i take the waves, open them in audacity and then export them as waves and use them, they work.

why don't my included samples work?

So, before people jump on you for hacking FL:

If you bought it, and *still have your license key*, you are actually legally allowed to download it or install it from a friend, provided that you give the same license key you had when you bought it. I would wager that FLStudio offers product registration and that you can get your key online from their database. Who knows. Image-Line might even send you a new copy of the CD (for maybe something like $10) if you can prove that you're a legitimate owner.

As for your actual problem, I don't use FL so I can't actually help you. However, I would place my money on a bad installation. Hacked copies are notoriously bad for being totally crappy when it comes to having things work. Plugins are missing, files disappear, samples aren't included...

why don't my included samples work?

i can't explain to you WHY, exactly, but i can tell you that i had this problem too. luckily, i found a file on my p2p server of choice, titled something like "IMPORTANT! you must run these files for samples to work in FLstudio.zip", or something like that

i ran it, and now all my shit works fine

oh, and also, you can download ALL samples from the FL studio website for free...

I'm running Kompakt as a VST through Fruity Loops, and I like to tweak the parameters for an instrument within the Kompakt interface (panning, EQ, volume, etc), however, when I hit play in FL, all the tweaking defaults back to zero. What am I doing wrong?

It's a weird bug that I really have no idea how to fix. FL apparently sends some sort of MIDI message to all plugins when you hit play, and some plugins reset parameters when you do that.

I have a dileemma. It would be awesome someone could help me out.

Is there anyway you layer multiple fruity slicer channels? Whenever I try to use two or more sliced DnB loops, it find out that it would be easier if I could control both sliced loops with one channel. When I try to set up layer by setting one loop to C4 and the other C5, they end up being pitched up or down. Is there a way to stop this from happening or is there any other way of controlling multiple slicers with one channel without adverse effects?

It's a weird bug that I really have no idea how to fix. FL apparently sends some sort of MIDI message to all plugins when you hit play, and some plugins reset parameters when you do that.

Mm. Thanks anyways, Zirc. I know I bugged you about this before.

could someone explain to me how to use automation (specifically to adjust volume on tracks to create crescendos/decrescendos)

uh, search the thread, n00b.

automation is basically just when you say 'hey computer do THIS at THIS time on THIS specific pattern track'. you NEED to remember that automation isn't global - it applies to certain tracks ONLY - the one thats active when you apply it.

try this. rightclick on the volume know of the track you want to edit. select 'edit events' - this is automation in general. you can edit almost anything like this. click once on this where you want the first volume to be - by looking up at the status bar just under the filebar, you can see what % your mouse is at. then, after clicking once there and seeing your beautiful volume line (in a nice shade of pink) drag your mouse on a rightclick up to where you want your decrescendo/crescendo to end, at what volume. just remember that you've gotta place it in the right spot, and you can't shift it from side to side like you can an entry in the piano roll.

simple, really.

peace.

Is there a way to pitchbend with VSTs apart from using the ch. pitch below the piano roll? It's impossible to get that one back to exactly 0 once you've changed it.

I've been just starting to play with that weird triangle thing in the top left corner of the piano roll, and it's pretty fun (placing it with existing notes to bend them back and forth). I thought maybe that's how you usually did your crazy bending in most of your songs, but I have no idea if it works the same with VSTs. Does it?

Behold some random crappy sample using that triangle bend thing on the background pads: pattern.mp3

Your Robotz Warehouze Nigga Hardcore Alphabet sounds great after my 50 second Skullmasterpiece man. Great album. :lol:

Sadly, this "pitch note" only works for fruity plugins unless the vst companies decide to support it. And yes, I do use it a lot :)

I don't know, there are those new automation clips which seem to support melodic pitching better than the messy pitch channel, but i have no idea how to link them to VST midi parameters.

Offtopic: I might do something for the Silius project soon, Chris, join me :)