FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

I ran into a problem about a month ago, and haven't been able to resolve it ever since.

FL Studio (v5.0) stopped detecting my MIDI controller (evolution MK-249C). I've been using these 2 components for more than a year, and never had any issues. I normally just plug the controller via USB port, start FLS, and it was ready to go.

I tried reinstalling just about everything, and was not able to figure it out. I installed the program on my laptop, plugged in the controller, and had no problem.

Anyone has suggestions? Much thanks in advance...

Did you suddenly change any of your midi properties? You must have, since changing nothing creates no problems in this situation.

It could be either a hardware problem or a software problem. Make sure your midi interface is actually receiving data outside of FL Studio. Then make sure "Enable midi remote controller" is enabled in FLS, along with "Auto-accept midi controller" in the MIDI option box. That's really all that's necessary for a midi controller to work.

^^^Thanks for quick reply.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "MIDI Properties". As I said, I immediately installed an identical copy of FLS on another computer, and it'd worked fine.

Additionally, all those options are enabled within the program.

This thing is driving me insane, and it's completely beyond me.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

THIS IS DRIVING ME ABSOLUTELY NUTS!!!

lets say i accidentally have 'record' on, and mess with the tempo, or volume, or pretty much anything having to do with automation events...

so now i have created events that i DONT want, how the HELL do i get rid of them? i open up the window, select 'delete all', and this should work, right? WRONGGG. i've also tried selecting 'reset' when i right click on the desired whatever, and it still does my stupid events....argghhh wtff?????????

Events are restricted to patterns so, the pattern with the events inside them must not be used. You must find the pattern with the automation inside of it, and that is kind of a pain.

May I take this time to recommend that you label each of your patterns via the playlist? You can do that by right-clicking the "Pattern #" in the playlist.

Events are restricted to patterns so, the pattern with the events inside them must not be used. You must find the pattern with the automation inside of it, and that is kind of a pain.

May I take this time to recommend that you label each of your patterns via the playlist? You can do that by right-clicking the "Pattern #" in the playlist.

Err, if you go to the browser, click "Current Project", then "Automation", it'll show all the patterns that have automation.

myth, excellent call - that rudimentary automation works wonders.

If anyone is interested, I made a tutorial for this a while back. I can hop skip and jump it back up if anyone wants.

edit: why the hell not?

The Slide Fuction as an alternative to editing events (doesnt work with vsts)

the slide tool is an extremely useful function as an alternative to manually editing events for slides, volume and panning. Take this simple note progression for example.

slide015pq.jpg

Let's add a slide note to the first C. The slide at G# indicates that the over the course of the slide note the C will drop to the G#.

slide020ui.jpg

If we extend the slide to a quarter note length (the entire length of the C note) the note will take a quarter time to slide from C to G#

slide031mu.jpg

While if we make the slide note a 16th note, the slide will be very sudden, and the main note will spend the rest of the quarter as a G#. This sounds great when you want to give an effect of a DJ scratch. Just set a sudden slide down to say C1 or something like that, and it creates a cool effect.

slide046zs.jpg

You can also use multiple slide notes to create multiple slides during the course of the note. In this case, the C will drop to G# for one eighth and spend the other eighth sliding up to A#. You can make some interesting sounds by setting multiple slides throughout a note.

slide059vs.jpg

But note changing is not all that you can use this tool for! Try leaving the slide ON the current note and editing the volume properties of the slide down below. See how the slide is at 50% compared to the main notes 75%. During the slide's course, it will drop the volume down to its volume level.

slide060mo.jpg

This is very useful for creating note fadeins. ie: set your main note at 0 and have the slide gradually bring it in.

slide072wm.jpg

Hey look! You can do it for the Pan option too! It works just like the others. Now you can have your instruments move in and out of the L and R with ease!

slide085gn.jpg

You can do some really cool sounding stuff with the Slide tool.

slide098mm.jpg

Just remember: Unless your notes are DIFFERENT COLORED, the slide will effect them all creating a scratchish drop (as mentioned above). Thus if you want one instrument to slide to different things at the same time, use the multi colored notes, like so:

slide103iy.jpg

Thats all for now! Hope you learned something!

Yeah, using the Disk Recording feature using the mixer.

hmm...ok, so basically it says check the little disk icon on the mixer, name the file, then click record and play, and record whatever, and then stop.

i did this, and the wav files are (i think) about as long as i recorded, but there is no sound?

am i doing this right?

right before the FPC came out in FL5 i used solely the drumloops that came with FL for my main drum tracks. mostly becuase they had better samples than i could work with at the time and i got really good at using the paino roll. naturally the FPC was the coolest thing to happen ever.

however my FL doesnt want to actually SAVE new FPC presets i make. like you open the song again and the FPC is there but all of the pads are eeeempty.

so im back to using drumloops and ive been around google trying to find new ones and have been only marginally sucessfull doing that.

so i ask if people know of any sites that are good for this sort of thing, or if they have their own online somewhere and are willing to share :P

Are you talking about editing the events for the level of the effect? If so, try here. (far right nob)

No, I'm talking parameters of an effect, IE in FL4 you go to Edit Event > and then a list of editable parameters pertaining to the VST pops up. That one there is only the overall level. :/

Addition to Myth's tutorial:

flvibrato2bo.jpg

Vibrato :)

Experiment with the length of the slide notes to get different vibrato types.

too slow.

how can i add vibrato to a soundfont that almost sounds good? it doesn't work to use the edit events window and do it through there cause its too big of an adjustment to automatically apply an LFO to the whole thing. it tries to go based on 20 cents, not 6 or 7 cents. whats a way to apply vib. to a simple violin sf?