FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

The "Cut Itself" is used to prevent a sample to overlap itself.

Ex: You have a WAVE file of a trumpet that lasts 30 seconds.

Let's say you have a simple tune and you have DO, RE then MI.

If you don't have cut itself and you only have 1 second between each note, you will hear three trumpets at the end, right?

NOW, if "Cut Itself" is on, the sample will stop playing at RE and start from the RE note, stop playing when at MI to play the MI note alone...

Am I of any help? Heh

the full version is worth it and know it does not give you better sounds. It allows you to save your work and work on it again. No matter how good you think a mix is, you can never make it in one shot without saving. I used the trial for all my mixes and actually didnt think i would need fl full because i was doing fine without it, but when i got it, omg, my music improved within days, plus the ability to save, means you will work over and over on the same thing, giving you more time to try other effects, options, instruments, and whatnot. If you want better sounds, go to somewhere with soundfonts, save them to you computer, put the files into a new folder in the "samples" folder of fruity loops. also you can do the same thing with wavs... any wav at all. When you open fruity it will show the folder in the browser (instrument selection menu). use them just like the drums and what not that come with fruity... i think like all the default instruments in fruity are like purposely out of tune or something, without editing a midi just changing the instruments to others i was told of awfully out of tune notes.

all you can do with the demo is export the mp3, its in the file menu. It turns whatever you have into an mp3 but you can never work on it again, if you want to be able to work on a mix more than once, get the full version, its the best thing i could have ever done for my music.

The ability to have a .wav sample "Cut Itself" is only useful with drum samples. If you're using an instrument sample, your best bet would be to just slap a Volume envelope onto it and program notes using the piano roll.

Also, you can use the Cut feature to make analog beatbox-sounding drums (having certain sounds cut others, like an open hi-hat cutting by a closed hi-hat). All you do is hit "Cut Itself" for each of the samples involved in this, and then set the numbers so that they match up with the way you want things to cut other things.

A fruity loops and reason forum would be great ideas. Especially since some of us (like me) have both and are fairly well known with one but could still learn more, and with the other are completely clueless (except for the basic turn on, switch instruments, stuff). I think reason seems very very technical and i would probably get "great" results out of it if i knew what to do. On the other hand, I have fruity, and know a lot about it, and actually know too much to use all in one song, but there is still a ton more i could know because i learn more about fruity every week... if i knew the "exact" limits of fruity then i would be much better with my mixes... to me, nothing would be better for those seeking help than a fruity loops and reason forum. You can sift through this forum for threads that seems all fruity or all reason and move them and it will give it a basic start on helping those so they dont ask same old questions. Go for it djp, i have actually been hoping you would do this someday.

OK, I warn you, this will probably be a stupid question...

When I load a Track from a MIDI file into a Piano Roll, how come the sample doesn't "cut itself" even though the "cut itself" mode is on?

Not sure if I answered this in my last post, but Cut Itself only works when you're programming INTO THE STEP SEQUENCER. When putting notes into the Piano Roll, you MUST have a Volume Envelope on the sound in order to control it's length. If you have one on it, the note will stop the moment it stops in the Piano Roll.

EDIT: Too many L's in "control."

I have a question about FX or editing a .wav in fruity loops because in my mix, i want to make the beat sound all crackly like a vinyl record or somethin. I was wondering if theirs a good way to do it within fruity loops.

And if no one else is doing this I am already compiling the post into a fruity loops FAQ that i'll send to djp along with my basics tutorial.

The FL sounds SUCK!! How can I solve this prollem?

Do not EVER use the default instruments that come with fruity.

download soundfonts, use the softsynths that come with it, use vsti synths [some of the coolest ones are free, come on], and download drum samples. but dont ever use the stuff that comes with it. i swear, gol detunes half of it on purpose to laugh at noobs. you can import -any- wav file. why do you chain yourself to the things that it comes with?

the stuff it comes with sucks on purpose. so you dont use it. so dont use it.

its really rather simple, but i'm tragically amazed at the amount of people that ignore this fact.

~starla

The FL sounds SUCK!! How can I solve this prollem?

Do not EVER use the default instruments that come with fruity.

download soundfonts, use the softsynths that come with it, use vsti synths [some of the coolest ones are free, come on], and download drum samples. but dont ever use the stuff that comes with it. i swear, gol detunes half of it on purpose to laugh at noobs. you can import -any- wav file. why do you chain yourself to the things that it comes with?

the stuff it comes with sucks on purpose. so you dont use it. so dont use it.

its really rather simple, but i'm tragically amazed at the amount of people that ignore this fact.

~starla

Ah, that explains it.

Dark Paladin, unless you want the drums in all of your songs/remixes to sound the same, I suggest you change out the sound of the kick drum.

And SeattleOverCoat, are you nuts? The default drum samples are total ASS in FL with the exception of the ones in the Hip-Hop folder (which aren't entirely hip-hop-ish) that was added in FL 3.5. The snares are dead, the hi-hats are sampled crappily, and you only have, like, what, THREE cymbals to work with? BLEH!!!~~~

EDIT: used to say "And Suzumebachi, are you nuts?" but was actually in respones to SOC. Apologies to Suzumebachi :?

i got some kool drum samples at www.bigassbeats.com though it requires a membership. Another site that's hosted by the same company as FL and has samples specfifically fo FL is www.samplefusion.com which are all royalty free samples. Of course the other day i took carbunk1es advice and just searched google, which yes, took awhile, but i found some great samples :)

*edit* smile was the wrong way

Alright Biggest Noob Question Of them all.... is it possible to get more instruments into Fruity loops... i checked nearly everywhere but all i found was a big beat and techno pack... and the instruments provided aren't really that great... any ideas.. im greatful for anyone helping me