FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

Ok, this is a big problem for me. When I import a MIDI, any rests before the first note that's played is cut out. Is there anyway to do away with that? I mean, I couldn't see how that would be conveniant for anyone. Please, help a noob out. :cry:

Uhhhh... How are you importing the midi? If you are just opening the .mid file in Fruity, then it shouldn't do that. If you are importing tracks from a midi file using the piano roll, it may be doin gsome funky stuff, becasue Fruity is a pattern based sequencer. If there are bars of rest, it will just nuke 'em, knowing that you will merely delay the pattern in the Playlist.

Ok, this is a big problem for me. When I import a MIDI, any rests before the first note that's played is cut out. Is there anyway to do away with that? I mean, I couldn't see how that would be conveniant for anyone. Please, help a noob out. :cry:

Uhhhh... How are you importing the midi? If you are just opening the .mid file in Fruity, then it shouldn't do that. If you are importing tracks from a midi file using the piano roll, it may be doin gsome funky stuff, becasue Fruity is a pattern based sequencer. If there are bars of rest, it will just nuke 'em, knowing that you will merely delay the pattern in the Playlist.

Alright, that's what I've been doing. I guess I'll just open the .mid file in fruity.

Thanks

There's not much I can tell you about FL Slayer other than it'll sound like crap no matter what if you ever want to make it sound like a guitar.

:(?

There are no tutorials because everyone hates it.

The only thing that can actually even pass for a quitar is POWER. Thats about it... Flslayer sucks :cry:

I can't get anything to stop, some patterns like to go on forever, (They aren't even pads which i can't get to stop either). Why does FL studio hate me? (they are clicked in properly to the playlist.)

There's not much I can tell you about FL Slayer other than it'll sound like crap no matter what if you ever want to make it sound like a guitar.

The only thing that can actually even pass for a quitar is POWER. Thats about it... Flslayer sucks :cry:

Slayer is great, you just have to use it right. Sure it isn't going to produce Iron Maiden lead guitars, but thats not what it is about. No guitar simulator will be able to sound like every single guitar out there, and if you want want it sound good, you are going to have to put in the effort. Use FX (Especially EQ), tweak the notes, learn about the slides. Slayer is just like any other synth - only useful sometimes, and you will have to put in some effort to make it sound good. It can do some awesome backing guitar work, and is unbelivably good for those situations where you want a cheap sounding guitar. It is also for those situations where you want somethign vaugely guitar sounding, but no guitar could possibly do stuff like that.

As for tutorials... ummm. Just play around with it, look at the help file, see how it works, particullarly the different input modes (Solo fixed, solo dynamic, strumming, etc).

As for your question about holding, I tend to leave hold off, and just extend the note if I want it to go on for a while. Or, if I want that squeal, I leave it on hold, then mute the channel when I don't want the squeal, and unmute when I do.

I can't get anything to stop, some patterns like to go on forever, (They aren't even pads which i can't get to stop either). Why does FL studio hate me? (they are clicked in properly to the playlist.)

Well, there is a panic button, just in case sounds do go on forever... fogoten what it is though. As for why they are doing it forever.. curious. Do your pattens go on for ever? If the sound is continuing after the note has stopped, then it sounds like a problem with release - check your envolopes. Oh! The other thing is, you might have it set to play the pattern, not the song, where it just repeats the current pattern. Fix this by clicking on the song LED just next to the play button.

If none of this helps, I've probably mis-understood you. Try explaining it again, and I'll try fixing it again.

But yeah, leave it to Skaven to turn shit into gold.

Well, he's a good tracker, so he HAS to be able to do just that. But it's not like he's applying magic in this track. Like Splunkle said, he's using the right sounds&fx at the right place. The heavy riff guitar in the song sounds like generic Slayer, but it sounds good in there. The lead guitars are nicely filtered. He also does some subtle pitch bends, i think (apart from the obvious ones), which is essential for lead guitar sequencing anyway. That's about it, no?

Slayer is great, you just have to use it right. Sure it isn't going to produce Iron Maiden lead guitars, but thats not what it is about. No guitar simulator will be able to sound like every single guitar out there, and if you want want it sound good, you are going to have to put in the effort. Use FX (Especially EQ), tweak the notes, learn about the slides. Slayer is just like any other synth - only useful sometimes, and you will have to put in some effort to make it sound good. It can do some awesome backing guitar work, and is unbelivably good for those situations where you want a cheap sounding guitar. It is also for those situations where you want somethign vaugely guitar sounding, but no guitar could possibly do stuff like that.

As for tutorials... ummm. Just play around with it, look at the help file, see how it works, particullarly the different input modes (Solo fixed, solo dynamic, strumming, etc).

As for your question about holding, I tend to leave hold off, and just extend the note if I want it to go on for a while. Or, if I want that squeal, I leave it on hold, then mute the channel when I don't want the squeal, and unmute when I do.

Well, there is a panic button, just in case sounds do go on forever... fogoten what it is though. As for why they are doing it forever.. curious. Do your pattens go on for ever? If the sound is continuing after the note has stopped, then it sounds like a problem with release - check your envolopes. Oh! The other thing is, you might have it set to play the pattern, not the song, where it just repeats the current pattern. Fix this by clicking on the song LED just next to the play button.

If none of this helps, I've probably mis-understood you. Try explaining it again, and I'll try fixing it again.

During the song is goes on forever where the pattern has ended and it plays even when the song is finished. And has anyone heard Fruitydream from FL3? I want remixes of Fruitydream... :(

And not to be troublesome or anything but if any oc remixers can plz send their flp files so i can learn that would be nice. (Its not like i'm going to steal someone's work.

*Snip*

During the song is goes on forever where the pattern has ended and it plays even when the song is finished. And has anyone heard Fruitydream from FL3? I want remixes of Fruitydream... :(

And not to be troublesome or anything but if any oc remixers can plz send their flp files so i can learn that would be nice. (Its not like i'm going to steal someone's work.

Well, I have literally no idea what the freaking is going on here. Could you host your .flp somewhere? Failing that, you could just email it to me at Splunkle@gmail.com - then I could try to figure out just whats going on.

*Snip*

Well, I have literally no idea what the freaking is going on here. Could you host your .flp somewhere? Failing that, you could just email it to me at Splunkle@gmail.com - then I could try to figure out just whats going on.

Maybe its because I suck at life and forgot use piano roll.

And has anyone heard Fruitydream from FL3? I want remixes of Fruitydream... :(

Please?! :cry::(

*Snip*

Maybe its because I suck at life and forgot use piano roll.

Ah. Mystery solved.

And has anyone heard Fruitydream from FL3? I want remixes of Fruitydream... :(

Please?! :cry::(

Sorry man, while I know of the song you are talking about, I know of no remixes - perhaps Google could give you more answers?

How do you set the piano roll to use a different time signature? I've managed it to be like 6/8 by adjusting the gridlines, but what about X/4 where X could be 3,5,6,7 etc?

There are 2 ways of doing this, that I am aware of: Firstly, there are time signature settings in "project settings", which can be found in the options pull down menu. You should be able to generate any time signature using that.

The second way is to use the thingy in the top left corner of the step sequencer. This denotes the top part of the time signature for this pattern. Usually it displays "--" which means it is the same as whatever you set in the project settings. You can change that however, to whatever you want. The bottom part of the time signature remains unchanged, however.

The first method is great if you have an entire song in one time signature. If you change time signatures midsong, the second method is better. Also, remember that the secodn method only changes the time signature for that pattern, so you could have two different patterns in different time signatures playing at the same time if you wanted.

Does that make sense, or am I rambling?

Crystal Clear. Thanks.

But what do you mean by "Pattern" I ONLY use piano roll, even for percussion, and it seems that stuff is for the step sequencer. What do I do if there is a 6/4 section several measures long before the project returns to 4/4?

Fruity is a pattern based sequencer. The song is made up of patterns. The patterns contain piano rolls, automation, and all that jazz. It sounds like you are making a song with only one pattern... A mistake I made myself way back when I started with fruity.

Hit F5. This should bring up the playlist. Here you can tell pattens when to play and when not to. Thus, you can have a pattern for a chorus, a pattern for each verse, or something like that. This way, whenever you get to the chorus, you just call that pattern, without having to copy paste huge amounts of goo.

The best way, IMHO, to get a grasp of patterns is just to look at the demo songs that come with fruity and see how they work. Remember, F5 for the playlist, and you can click on the LEDs next to the play button to switch between playing the patten and playing the song.

How do you set the piano roll to use a different time signature? I've managed it to be like 6/8 by adjusting the gridlines, but what about X/4 where X could be 3,5,6,7 etc?

i don't know what the heck splunkle is talking about, so i'm not even gonna go there.

if you want different time signatures, there's two ways to do it. for a whole song, set the 'project settings' to whatever you want it at. play with it till its right.

if you want different patterns to be different amounts of beats, hurrs whatcha doo.

like splunkle said, the '--' in the top left corner of the step sequencer changes the X in X/4. now, since each pattern can be different lengths, you need to know how to put in a five-beat long block into the playlist, or however many beats it is when its not a multiple of four. by selecting the playlist and pressing 3 (or, zoom to the closest setting) and you should be able to click in the patterns into the playlist exactly how you want it to be...because instead of four-beat bars being the lines for the grid, each beat is a line. therefore, any wierd time signature will fit in.

that make sense?

1st question: What exactly is 'FL Syndrome'? I'm a total n00b to this whole thing, so I need to know so I can avoid it. :S

2nd question: What do I have to do to get this melody sound? There's something varying about that synth trumpet, but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to change. Is it just pitch, or is there some EQ involved, or what? (Or should I ask in a different topic?)