FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

Well, you can automate stuff in a few ways in Fruity.

Up first are automation clips. These are, well, clips that live in the playlist, down in that bottom bit. Right click on the knob you want to automate. In this case its filter cutoff, right? Choose the "Create automation clip" option. Then, in the playlist, down in the bottom bit, paint the automation clip. You can then modify it at will - Right click to add a new point, left click on points to move 'em up and down - its preety intuitive.

Another way of automating is using the event editor. This creates automation within the current patten. Right click on the knob you want to automate. Select "edit events" This brings you to the event editor. Value of the knob is on the left, so the higher the graph, the higher the knob. Time is at the top there, measured in bars, so you know just when stuff is happening. Left click to set the knob at a value at a time, right click and drag to set some straight lines - this is sounding all awkward. Just play with it, once again, it is preety intuitive.

Why are there two ways of doing this? Well, sometimes it is better to use Automation clips, sometimes better to use the event editor. Auto clips are great if you want a change to happen once in a song, whereas the event editor is better if you need a change to happen mroe than once in a song. Also, some people just prefer one over the other - a matter of taste.

Anyways, again, take a look at the demo songs that come with FL. It is amazing what you can learn from those. For example, "Toby & Freyda - Maybe" features heavy use of both types of automation.

Another way of automating is using the event editor. This creates automation within the current patten. Right click on the knob you want to automate.

Addition: This works for native plugins, if you want to automate the parameters of a VST instrument, select "browse parameters" under plugin options. You'll get a full list of all the knobs in your FL browser, right click on those to edit them.

Under midi settings (found in the options menu), make sure the right device is set to the right port. Usually midi channels are set to port zero, so select whatever midi device you want to play 'em to be port zero. The devices should be in the "output port mapping" bit, and you should at least have some microsoft midi mapper or something like that there.

Or you could use fruity LSD. =D

How do you make a pattern not click to the pattern board thingy? =D

see the white letters that say "snap". it's on the same panel as the metronome settings. it's default set to "line" but you can change it to just about anything - including (none). this applies to both the pattern board and the piano roll.

Im having trouble with fl and since this is my first time using it i just need some help. Right now im working with the demo version and i would like to know where to get some good tutorials and free soundfonts for beginners? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you very much for your feedback Drack but I cant seem to figure out how to install and soundfonts correctly. I am probably just doing something wrong. Maybe its the folder that i installed it in but it wont work. Thanks in advance for all your help, im probably being a pain by now.

Well, the Fruity soundfont player only plays .sf2 files. Or at least, thats all I am aware of it playing. Smeh. Anyways, get your soundfonts into the .sf2 format - usually you have to extract them out of some crazy format - I know Darkesword's ones (which are sexy good 'fonts, btw) are in some crazy format. He host a decompression tool though, so that shouldn't be an issue.

So, you have your soundfonts in .sf2 format. Now, load up fruity, and load up your soundfont player. Do this by going channels > add one > Fruity Soundfont player. If you aren't using the Fruity soundfont player then go channerls > add one> More... and then choose you soundfont player.

Then, bang out a few notes and you are away!

That's one way of going about it. You may find it easier to simply use the "LCD" display in the channel properties at the top right labeled "-fx-" and selecting an FX channel with that. That's how I go about it. Nasenmann's method is probably just as good, but I'm not used to it.

While that might be slightly faster, my method provides you with an fx channel accurately named after the processed instrument. Thus I proclaim it the more sophisticated approach!

p.s. POWERUSER WAR!!!!! :)

Ha! It took me forever to figure out what you were talking about there Nasenmann, I always just did something similar to OverCoat.

Interesting idea. While trying to find that "link to selected channels" button, I noticed a whole slew of other things I would have never paid attention to normally. :)