FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

You did check the option in the options menu that says "enable midi output" didn't you? (on the bar at the top you know - options->enable midi output).

EDIT: If I'm bored tonight (quite possibly) I might consider compiling all this into a huge webpage compiled like a FAQ.

Believe I did, but I'll double-check.

EDIT: Yeah, did, nothing, maybe one of the other seetings is off, let me double check the tutorial...

You did check the option in the options menu that says "enable midi output" didn't you? (on the bar at the top you know - options->enable midi output).

EDIT: If I'm bored tonight (quite possibly) I might consider compiling all this into a huge webpage compiled like a FAQ.

If it doesn't work I don't know what's wrong.

Oh, would the fact that it's the demo mean anything? I'm just messing around for now to try to get a feel for it.

Oh, would the fact that it's the demo mean anything? I'm just messing around for now to try to get a feel for it.

I don't think it would but that'd be something to check for on the site (they probably list demo limitations). I do believe the only limitations are not being able to save anything but anything MIDI related could possibly be restricted also.

I don't think it would but that'd be something to check for on the site (they probably list demo limitations). I do believe the only limitations are not being able to save anything but anything MIDI :? related could possibly be restricted also.

Well, I couldn't see any demo related issues, where'd that FAQ go? It was on a webpage, broke it down step by step....hm. :?

Well, if you followed the advice previously given here, and it still doesn't work, not much more we can do. But check your midi device's manual. Mayhaps there is someswitch or something you have to hit on it?

Well I was gonna start from scratch and try again 'cause I may have tweaked something accidentally. Anybody know where that FAQ webpage was that explained how to do it? All the links in the beginning of the thread seem to be dead.

Well waht kind of "help" page doenst have working links? :?

Anyway I've got a few problems with FL...

1. When I play back the song (it has about 10 tracks) the audio skips and cracks...

2. How do i make some notes crescendo? I made volume swells in GuitarPro but the midi files dont crescendo when I import them.

If anybody could help that would be greatly appreciated...

The audio skipping/cracks mean your CPU is getting maxed out. Go to your mixer and select "Switch Smart Disable" and bounce all tracks your not currently using to .wav until you actually need to change something.

btw, volume automation is present in FL, check your midi

if not, put a slide in the piano roll at the same pitch and at the point in time where you want the volume automated. change the slide note's volume to your desired end-volume, and ohsnap, you got it.

]The audio skipping/cracks mean your CPU is getting maxed out. Go to your mixer and select "Switch Smart Disable" and bounce all tracks your not currently using to .wav until you actually need to change something.

btw, volume automation is present in FL, check your midi

if not, put a slide in the piano roll at the same pitch and at the point in time where you want the volume automated. change the slide note's volume to your desired end-volume, and ohsnap, you got it.

that slide crescendo is a neat trick.

]The audio skipping/cracks mean your CPU is getting maxed out. Go to your mixer and select "Switch Smart Disable" and bounce all tracks your not currently using to .wav until you actually need to change something.

Also try increasing your audio buffer size. Its in Audio options.

How would I go about changing the time signature in the middle of the song? Let's say I'm working in 4/4 (default) and I want to break down to 6/8 two minutes in, then change back to 4/4 after a bit. I already know how to change the time signature in Project Settings, but I don't know to change it in the middle of the song.

i dont have fl in front of me atm, so i'm just going from memory. there is an option to change the amount of beats in each pattern. pick the pattern and then click up at the top left of the piano roll window. there's an option (really sorry that i'm so vague) to extend the individual pattern in or out as many beats as you need. you'll have to deal with a bit of a messier playlist, but for time changes, it's not too bad.

basically isn't 6/8 just 2/4 with triplets?

nope. 6/8 is like 3/4 with the emphasis on the eighth note instead of the quarter note.

basically isn't 6/8 just 2/4 with triplets?

nope. 6/8 is like 3/4 with the emphasis on the eighth note instead of the quarter note.

yeah, but my point was that you count 6/8 in 2, so you could sequence it in 2 if you had to.

however, you are right about the beats/bar thing in FL. forgot about that <_<

in a new pattern you can change the beats per bar yes, however you cannot change the base unit. the whole project only allows for one base unit. for example you can't start in 2/4 and then go into 3/2. you can change the base beat value under the project options.

and with regards to the time signatures 3/4 is a simple triple (3) it's counted in three beats. 6/8 is a compound duple (2) and is counted in two beats.

if anyone has any doubts about how far FL can take you, look up 9th wonder - one of the rising stars of the hiphop world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9th_Wonder

"Originally making hip-hop beats from his North Carolina Central University dorm room using software called Fruityloops and selling them on Soundclick, he has since become one of the more accredited producers in the hip hop music music industry."

;)