FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

I have a question, too.

When I try to play a lot of loops at once on the step sequencer, it sounds scratchy and distorted. I have the sampling turned up all the way, too. What am I doing wrong? My computer is running on an AMD Athlon XP 1.6 with 256 MB RAM on WinXP Home.

Thanks in advance. If you want, I'll host samples...

_glitch_

I have a question, too.

When I try to play a lot of loops at once on the step sequencer, it sounds scratchy and distorted. I have the sampling turned up all the way, too. What am I doing wrong? My computer is running on an AMD Athlon XP 1.6 with 256 MB RAM on WinXP Home.

Thanks in advance. If you want, I'll host samples...

_glitch_

game, set, and match.

I'm assuming you were talking about the buffer underrun thing for the sampling... if not, then turn down the samplerate until your final export.

Secondly, go to your mixer and click on "Switch Smart Disable."

Thirdly, upgrade your RAM. 256 isn't going to cut it.

Quick question, is it possible to mix in 5.1 with FLStudio? My limited understanding is the panning controls are for stereo only, but I could easily be wrong. I have no way of checking short of making some sort of demo, burning it and playing it through my 5.1 system, but I am too lazy to do so.

Sorta. If you have ASIO drivers, then you can choose to let mixer channels output too "Left-Right", "Center-LFE" (whatever LFE is) or "Surround Left-Surround Right". The problem is now you have 3 master channels, and you probably want all your music going towards them, but with different levels.

Using send channels as your outputs would be best, IMHO. Change their output from master to whatever set of speakers you want, and then use your send knobs to throw stuff at them. Easy.

Thanks!

I turned off Smart Switch, but the problem remains. It must be a RAM issue. In that case, I'll just wait till I get my new laptop.

Will 512 mb be big enough?

_glitch_

Depends on what you're planning to run.

Are you planning on running 6+ instances of commercial VSTs?

Go for at least a gig.

Theoretically, commercial VSTs are much more CPU efficient than free, cheaply made ones [for example VST made with SynthEdit].

I say "CPU efficient" instead because they're still more demanding [Kontakt 2 or Reaktor] because of all the stuff they have :P

SO I GUESS YOU'RE STILL RIGHT

Anyway, 1 GB is going to be needed eventually. I have 1 GB and I wish I had more! though that's mainly not a musical problem, that's more of a gaming problem :)

Theoretically, commercial VSTs are much more CPU efficient than free, cheaply made ones [for example VST made with SynthEdit].

That's assuming that there's a commercial version of the VST made with Synthedit, which pisses me off like you would not believe.

freaking superwave D:

anyway, i was kinda referring to z3ta_ and v-station as far as the effiency thing... those two are cpu killers for sure.

so yeah, get at least a gig still. 2 gigs is hella dandy too.

Actually superwave has several commercial versions, all of which are more cpu efficient :)
That's assuming that there's a commercial version of the VST made with Synthedit, which pisses me off like you would not believe.

freaking superwave D:

lol, that was my point exactly, that the commercial versions of superwave are way more cpu efficient.

wish i had some money... D:

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but when I edit a sample in the FL wav editor, save the edited version, and then load that sample, the sample keeps the same pitch no matter what I do. All the keys on the piano roll play the exact same note with no resampling or anything. Not even the master pitch changes anything.

However, when I edit a sample, then say yes to use the edited version instead of the original when it prompts me to do so, it works just fine in that instance of FL, but next time it's loaded, it cannot change pitch.

I've found that I can change the pitch using the resample time stretch in the sampler, but that is the only way, and that's hardly useful.

The reason this is so important is because I have a lot of single held note instrument samples that I need to add loop points.

If there's no solution to this, or it's because of the FL wav editor, does anyone know of a good free audio editor that can add loop points?

Hey guys. Over the couple of years I've been downloading ReMixes on this site, I've developed a desire to at least attempt to remix some tune smy own way, so I'm new to this scene, other than listening and occasionally reviewing ReMixes.

I have FL Studio 5 now, but I have absolutely no idea as to where I should start. The only input devices I have are my mouse and keyboard, and a shitty 6-year-old $100 keyboard with a GM set (with no PC-to-keyboard cord).

Do I have enough to even contemplate ReMixing now, or am I in need of more equipment/software? I don't have much of a budget, because I'm putting money back for college and things of that nature. If I do have the tools to begin, where can I find an article on FruityLoops? There are so many pages in this thread; it overwhelms me to try to look for little (and trivial, I'd assume) answers to questions.

Thanks in advance,

AMDgeek

A follow up to my mention about 9th Wonder the other day, this is an excerpt of an interview with him:

The posse arrives at the new studio offices off a Durham side street. The actual studio is a cramped space, with a small sound booth and bare-bones production tools. Sony Book Shelf Speakers serve as the only monitors, and the only gear in sight includes a mixer and a Sony MiniDisc player that Wonder says are never used.

He heads straight for his innocent-looking Dell computer with a 25GB hard drive and Windows XP. “It's like the black Dell they advertise on TV, nothing major,” he says matter-of-factly. He pauses to respond to a common inquiry. “The only people who don't ask me why I don't use a Mac are people who have been doing beats for years,” he says with a knowing chuckle. “This is what we learned on. We stick with what works. This is how the first album was done. We go by the motto ‘If it's not broke, don't fix it.’”

While Grae settles in the booth, Wonder fires up Syntrillium Cool Edit Pro 2.1 (now called Adobe Audition). “I do all the mixdowns in the PC using Cool Edit Pro,” he says. Like a painter dabbling at his palette, he begins clicking the mouse with ease as beat patterns fall neatly into place. He calls up the beat files composed in the program he swears by: Image-Line FL Studio 4. He insists that everything he needs is squarely within this program, formerly called Fruityloops, running DXi instrumentation. “I can make it do any type of beat I want to,” Wonder says. “I listen for bass lines and the way I can tighten up the drums. I can make it sound like a crispy, empty beat or a dirty beat.”

The loop-based program allows Wonder to chop up his samples and create spacious rhythms, leaving room for vocals as well as a little swing. “Some samples you can chop up and make sound like a loop,” he says, stopping short and shaking his head defiantly — he won't divulge his process for extracting samples. “I can't talk about how I do beats. I very selectively choose who I show what I do with the beats.”

Nevertheless, he does reveal one clue about adding a little swing to the mix. “I learned this from producer J Dilla: Move your hi-hats, slidin' your hi-hats on the scale,” he says. He scatters the samples across the loops, resulting in hooks that move with the grace of the soul songs that Wonder loves, including his favorites by Curtis Mayfield and Al Green. From old-school singers to classic hip-hop producers, Wonder studies the masters. “I learned a lot from Premier and Pete Rock and J Dilla [aka Jay Dee] from bass lines,” he continues. “Wails and moans, I learned from RZA.”

With his beats in place, Wonder's writing process is usually pretty complete by the time he meets with a vocalist. “I might hear a drum track first; I might hear a sample,” he explains. “I might hear a drum track and try to match up a sample. Sometimes, I make [the track] and hear someone [who would be good] over it. Every artist has a certain type of track they pick.”

Wonder's skills shine as he applies his beats to accent the vocalists. “The challenge is trying to find a sound that fits the artist and will still stay you,” he says. “I'd like somebody to say, ‘I know a 9th Wonder joint.’ I'm a ‘boom bap’ producer. I do a lot of straight drum tracks. I'm an old-world producer. I'm a Pete Rock and Premier descendent because that's who I learned from. Whatever I learn from them, I take it and make futuristic. I want to make younger listeners hear what they missed. Everything runs in circles.”

His beats move with an even flow that sounds sweet on the dancefloor or on the Apple iPod. “Most artists devote everything to making a club track,” Wonder says. “Outside of Dr. Dre and Pharrell, there's nobody else getting in the club. I make tracks for the cats in the jeeps, the cats in the streets.”

Also, check out the first post here: http://beatmaking.blogspot.com/ for a great video of how to effectively use the FL turntable

hello im an idiot and i dont know how to add more sounds to FL, can some1 help me out. I dled samples but idk how to get em to work

Not to seem like a big bad moderator or anything, but a word of advice for the future. In this section of the community (Remixing 101), it pays to type coherantly and not resort to AIM-speak (I would hope it pays in all sections, but...). You'll get a lot more respect if you can convey your question/point/thought in a manner that's at least somewhat mature. Typing in a constant state of speedy-chat speak won't get you any brownie points here. It's not a race to type as fast as possible. You're making a post. Think it out before type it out.

Sorry if it seems like I'm jumping on ya, but it's good knowledge.