FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

*Sigh*

A breakbeat is not a solo played by a drummer. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

A breakbeat is a drum rhythm in which another drum rhythm was taken, broken apart (thus the "break"), and rearranged into a new rhythm to give it a jagged edge where it was chopped apart. Breakbeat is also a style of Electronica that uses these rhythms. Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, Hybrid, Fatboy Slim, and many others have done this style of music.

A breakbeat is rather simple to create. Take a drum rhythm, typically one you created, render it as a .wav. Put that .wav into a sound editing utility, such as CoolEdit or Sound Forge, and seperate it at any spot that you see a spike in the spectrum that would signify the hit of a drum. Take these new slices, render each one as a new .wav, and load them into your sequencing program. Rearrange them into a new drum beat, and you're good to go.

breakbeats generally do just that, break the beat. And often the use of gating is essential in breakbeat music, but its not absolutely necesary.

For example, if you have a beat that follows a melody, you will drop everything out of the song for a measure except the essential parts of the beat and the main part of the melody and then have the melody not play on any sections where no percussion is present (use gating for this). And then viola, you have a break in the beat.

Breakbeat songs would consist of doing this constantly throughout a single mix, well not constantly, but enough to make the song be classified as a breakbeat.

Usually breakbeats are accompanied by a general drum n bass beat throughout.

Dont everything i said too seriously since im not so experienced, but im just saying what i do know of breakbeats

I just have a quick question on FruityLoops... specifically the SoundFont player. Is there any way to... um... not have to buy this SoundFont player? Um... if, um, so... how would I go about this? I have tried something starting with a K and ending with a aZaA, but that didnt work out. Sorry if I'm being overly secretive, but I'm a newbie here and dont know what's what. Dont get all mad and defensive of the industry... if you dont approve of not-especially-legal computing than just say so and dont help me, or maybe ban me if I'm breaking some rule that I unfortunately did not know about... But, if I were to persue this not-especially-legal way to obtain the SounFont player (not that I will) what would I do? Hypothetical question (but its really not (but I shouldnt have said that)). I'm assuming many of you here are all very violently aversed to not-especially-legal computing, but... remixing is barely more than a hobby for me yet, definitely not worth many real dollars.

Also, where do you think I could get some feedback for non-remix compositions? I will eventually get to doing some remixes, but I'd like some feedback on my experiments to know what's good and what's not before starting one.

I just have a quick question on FruityLoops... specifically the SoundFont player. Is there any way to... um... not have to buy this SoundFont player? Um... if, um, so... how would I go about this? I have tried something starting with a K and ending with a aZaA, but that didnt work out. Sorry if I'm being overly secretive, but I'm a newbie here and dont know what's what. Dont get all mad and defensive of the industry... if you dont approve of not-especially-legal computing than just say so and dont help me, or maybe ban me if I'm breaking some rule that I unfortunately did not know about... But, if I were to persue this not-especially-legal way to obtain the SounFont player (not that I will) what would I do? Hypothetical question (but its really not (but I shouldnt have said that)). I'm assuming many of you here are all very violently aversed to not-especially-legal computing, but... remixing is barely more than a hobby for me yet, definitely not worth many real dollars.

Also, where do you think I could get some feedback for non-remix compositions? I will eventually get to doing some remixes, but I'd like some feedback on my experiments to know what's good and what's not before starting one.

I found it on KaZzA easily. Search for Fruity Soundfont (NOT PLAYER) and you should get it. It's about 680 Kb or sumtin.

Got 'nother drum question. When you start up FL and you have the 4 channels sitting there (C_Kick, C_HC, CHH, and C_Snare) is there any way to increase the amount of beats you get? Like 16th notes and 32nd? Because without them I cant get the timing quite right...

(not sure if that makes sense, but thnx anyway! :D )

Got 'nother drum question. When you start up FL and you have the 4 channels sitting there (C_Kick, C_HC, CHH, and C_Snare) is there any way to increase the amount of beats you get? Like 16th notes and 32nd? Because without them I cant get the timing quite right...

(not sure if that makes sense, but thnx anyway! :D )

I totally answered that a few pages back, go look.

I've downloaded a bunch of rather nice soundfonts from Bananaquartz Studio, and they play just fine in Fruity Loops (I have the full version now. Early Christmas present :D ). But when I try to save my work, FL says something about "Some of the FL plugins used in this project are limited to the demo vversion only, and will be deleted. Continue saving?"... Or something like that. Then once I did save (Trying to figure out what this means), all my soundfonts are erased from the project.

Why does it keep deleting the soundfonts?

Please, and thank you.

Once more, because I asked the same question, which has now become the jaded topic of late.

There are demos in the new version of Fruity Loops. Unfortunately, that are not savable, so unless you leave your machine on 24/7, you have a one shot deal to encode your work to MP3, WAV, or what have you.

Ok this Q is for the super-advanced users of FruityLoops, i know its possible on FL to make those choir vocal-sound alikes but I have no idea how to do it. Ive heard songs made by FL that have them in it but it is still a mystery to me on how to do it. Can anyone help me out on this? (Example, Metroid, The norfair/magmoor Awes) Thanks

EDIT: Nevermind, got it.

I don't know about vocal sounds, but there are ways to make all sorts of neat sounding pads. You can use simsynth to make them, but I prefer 3x oscillator.

To make pads with the 3x oscillator, first select your waveforms. I prefer to use saw waves for all three, but there are variations that can give you different sounds that may sound better. Adjust the tuning either all to zero semitones or all to -12 semitones for each oscillator (so they're all the same). Set the fine tune on one oscillator down to -35 cents, and the fine tune to another to +35 cents. This will give them a very thick sound. If you prefer, you don't have to detune them as much, or even at all. You can leave all 3 at 0 cents, if you prefer.

Now for envelopes:

Under the volume envelop, turn the attack knob slightly up, and the sustain knob all the way up. Make sure the cutoff knob is turned way down. If you want you can turn up the resonance up also (up to halfway is probably good). There, now you have some OK sounding pads.

However, they probably still sound a bit cheesy. You want to add some effects to make them sound a lot richer. For effects, you should add some reverb (the default preset should be fine, although you may want to add more). Also add a flanger effect for some fun. I normally use the "Ultra Fat Chorus" preset so it sounds like it takes up more space (and sounds a lot richer). If you want, you can also add a phaser effect. I'd suggest experimenting with the different phaser presets until you find one that suits you, or you can play around with it yourself to get the effect you want.

Now that you have your sound, you want to make it work. Go to the piano roll view and build your chords and stuff. If you want, you can play around with channel panning in the piano roll. You can also give it some more phasing qualities by going back to the envelopes section of the sample, rigth clicking the "cutoff" knob, and selecting "edit events". Now you can draw a bunch of stuff on the graph to control the sounds cutoff. I'd suggest first selecting from the top left corner, Init events (to put the graph at the current cutoff position), and selecting ("use smooth transitions", or whatever it says). Now you can draw curves on the graph for some cool cutoff effects.

Hope that makes some sense or helps.

Now go out there and make some badass pads.

That is just a matter of finding the right sample or soundfont you want. You can search through the various free soundfont sights like www.hammersound.net and www.bananaquarts.com and see if any of those strike your fancy. I'm sure there are some decent free choir samples out there. There is a crappy one in one of the FL sample folders. If you don't have any luck there, you might try some place like www.bigfishaudio.com and lay down a little cash (or a lot) for some high quality samples. Some of the online sample dealers will even sell individual sample downloads from 2 to 10 bucks each.

Hope that gives you a start.