FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

I've picked up FL Studio two or three times, among other music-making programs...

I don't learn easily, especially from non-interactive material. (IE: internet, books. I don't consider search engines to be the same level of interaction as communicating with a human. it's grossly inadequate, especially if questions pop up a lot)

I'm also easily discouraged.

is there a way to plug a MIDI into a SoundFont?

I know last time I tried FL I got a WAVE file to play at 78.4 BPM at the same time as another WAVE file at 86.6 BPM. now I can't find any such simple settings directly connected to the WAVE files.

"57 Channels and nothing's on". tons of information, and no way to make sense of what's actually important. I have a headache. too much stumulus and/or stress gives me a headache. I think that's the problem with these new programs... they have to include all the features you would need, but not everyone will use all of them, so there's superfluous stuff there that just distracts you from the job. you're not SUPPOSED to learn it all inside-out, but they still treat the information on it that way.

I wonder how much I could actually get out of trying to transpose a song into a ... whatever. you know, figure out the notes. I don't know what's the best way to be familiar with notes and such.

oh god! why can't I find any documentation on this?! I can't open multiple channels in the piano roll, and I can't open multiple piano roll windows. how am I supposed to compare two channels?? god! nothing works! I turn the volume of a channel down and it still plays! nothing I do works!

main question, im a beginner at this and ive downlaoded FL studio 5 and just looking at it confuses me. i have no idea what to do apart from just checking out the sounds.

how do i start recording and getting used to the tools used? advice much needed

thanxs

NEVER EVER EVER EVER admit to the entire forum that you downloaded a program instead of purchased it. You will be looked down upon.

I asked a few pages back about a problem I was having with FL. Everything was coming out distorted when I put 4 or 5 instruments together. I mentioned that I had only 256 mb RAM at the time, and somebody said that that wasn't enough. Now I have my laptop, and I have 1 gb of RAM and the same problem... everything distorted.

If you want, I can host the file...

_glitch_

Maybe you need to increase your buffer length. Hit F10, and then go to Audio. Move the buffer length slider to the right a bit, and then play your song. If it still sounds screwy, move it to the right a bit more. You probably won't have to move it past the 100ms mark.

Also, make sure the device you chose under the Output section (also on the Audio page) doesn't have "(emulated)" in the name. That can also make your audio sound yucky.

My question is also about Sony Acid.

So I made a pretty nice beat in FL and saved it as an mp3 and imported it to ACID. Now when I played it against the rest of the track I had in acid, it would not sync right. There would be a gap at the end of the loop mp3 that throws everything off, and it also doesn't play at the same tempo I originally had it in FL. The drum loop was set to a tempo of 75, as is the track in ACId. Anyone have any ideas?

My question is also about Sony Acid.

So I made a pretty nice beat in FL and saved it as an mp3 and imported it to ACID. Now when I played it against the rest of the track I had in acid, it would not sync right. There would be a gap at the end of the loop mp3 that throws everything off, and it also doesn't play at the same tempo I originally had it in FL. The drum loop was set to a tempo of 75, as is the track in ACId. Anyone have any ideas?

When you go to export to mp3, check what setting the "remainder box" has on it. If you have "Leave remainder", there will be a gap. If you have "Wrap remainder", there will be a gap. Set it to "Cut remainder" and see how that turns out.

Hello there!

I'd like to know if there's any way I can directly feed the sound coming into my computer to the FL Mixer/FX Processor?

I have 3 synthesizers, which are somewhat limited in effects. The plug-ins I have with FL are much better. However, I need to know if the final "mix" will sound good before I record synth sequences... and with all the FX plug-ins I might use, the possibilities are endless. So I'm wondering if I can just feed the sound directly to a mixer track (with activated effects), thus immediatly having an idea of the sound I'm going to have in the end.

If that's not directly possible or implemented, is there a generator plug-in that can achieve that by directly taking the microphone input and giving it to FL?

Thank you for your help guys!

This question was unanswered way back on page 154 or something. Anyways, here is an answer:

Down the bottom of the mixer, you will have 2 drop down boxes; one labeled in, another labeled out. Anyways, select the FX track you want the sound to go to, grab the in box, and set that to "microphone" or "line in" or somesuch. You may need ASIO drivers to do this, but I think its possible with DX drivers. Also not sure how bad latency is going to be.

Good luck anyways.

Thanks there Splunkle; unfortunately I don't have anything in my "IN" dropdown menu. I am gonna do some research on ASIO drivers. I don't know if I'll find anything for my SB Live Platinum.

Also, I don't know which DX drivers would let me do that. Still, thanks your your help!