FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

It is not a huge difference, in my opinion. There are some new plugins, a better browser, and some changes to make recording easier. However, if you got the boxed version and would have to pay for the upgrade, I don't think it's necessarily worth it. On the other hand, most people have free lifetime updates and thus there's no reason NOT to upgrade.

When I right click the waveform and select 'Detect Tempo' in the Channel settings for a Sampler channel ,choosing one of the tempo ranges give me this error:

"Access violation at address xxxxxxxx in module 'FLEngine.dll'. Read of address xxxxxxxx."

I have this error since I upgraded to FL6.. anybody here have the same problem? :?

Yes.

In your mixer, select a track. Say, track 1. There's a menu with the word "IN" next to it. There, you can select from any input you have. This includes physical inputs, such as those from your soundcard. Once you have that selected, assuming you've hooked up your instrument properly, your guitar will be going right through that effects track and then output through FL. By clicking the little disk icon, you arm the track for recording (right click to arm it, or left click to arm it and name the recording file). When you want to actually play, you hit the main record button on the transport (next to the play and stop buttons), hit play, wait for the countdown, and go to it. Like any other recording software.

I've run into a problem in a song I've started working on today. I'm not sure if FL can't do what I'm trying to make it do or if I'm just not doing it right. Chances are it's the latter, but I'll ask since I know a lot of people here are more experienced than I am.

I'm trying to set panning for individual notes in the piano roll. For example, I had a drum part where I wanted most of it in the center, but one instrument panned about 40% left. Setting individual note panning had no effect at all. It worked though if I set panning for the whole channel. I don't want to do that though.

Also, I have a string part with 4 notes coming in at different times and sustaining. I want them to come in from different directions. Once again panning the individual notes doesn't have any effect. Since they sustain and are in the same channel, changing the channel pan setting would move them all the same. Do I have to make duplicate channels and split up those parts? They're the same instrument, same soundfont, and I'm using the same effects, so I'd like to keep them the same. I'm using sfz to load the soundfonts. Does that or maybe the fact that they're soundfonts instead of samples or VSTi's have something to do with it? I remember a while back making something with the Trumpet3 font and no matter what I did I couldn't make the sound come from anywhere other than hard right.

thats odd, cause i've usually found that a lot of external vsts won't respond to note panning/velocity, etc. I've never had a problem panning out notes in soundfonts.

What you might want to do if nothing is working is, clone a new instance of the instrument, delete all the non-panned notes and just pan that channel how you want it. Likewise with the strings: make four channels of it and pan the channels as you want. Yeah it's tedious and less CPU efficiant, but if individual note panning aint working, that might be your only option.

Yes.

In your mixer, select a track. Say, track 1. There's a menu with the word "IN" next to it. There, you can select from any input you have. This includes physical inputs, such as those from your soundcard. Once you have that selected, assuming you've hooked up your instrument properly, your guitar will be going right through that effects track and then output through FL. By clicking the little disk icon, you arm the track for recording (right click to arm it, or left click to arm it and name the recording file). When you want to actually play, you hit the main record button on the transport (next to the play and stop buttons), hit play, wait for the countdown, and go to it. Like any other recording software.

I'd very much like to do this with a guitar, except for some reason all the IN menu lists for me is "none". Does anybody know of a way to add the sound card's line in\mic in to the IN menu?

Suppose you had imported a MIDI into FL and you've applied soundfonts, messed with panning, volume, note velocities, etc, and now you've changed the MIDI. Is it possible to import a new version of a MIDI track and keep the settings of the old one? That is, channel panning/volume (which change a lot throughout the song), note velocities, and things? I suppose you could always directly edit with the piano roll, but that would take much longer, so I'm wondering if there's a shorter way.

Yes.

I'd very much like to do this with a guitar, except for some reason all the IN menu lists for me is "none". Does anybody know of a way to add the sound card's line in\mic in to the IN menu?

Make sure you have the proper audio drivers selected.

Yes.

Make sure you have the proper audio drivers selected.

Hmmm... there's only one set of audio drivers for the sound card on my laptop. Those are selected under the Control Panel. Is there another menu where input drivers can be selected in FL? I only see output drivers listed under FL's audio settings.

EDIT: Ah-hah! Solution found!

I browsed the FL Studio troubleshooting forums for people with similar problems, where I read that one person had come across ASIO4ALL. What it does is enable ASIO support for whatever sound card you have in your system, even if it doesn't have it preequipped - which my laptop's sound card didn't, apparently.

In detail, just in case somebody else has a non-ASIO compliant sound card:

1) Ran the EXE of the installer, which is a very simple run through, no other options to pick.

2) Chose the ASIO4ALL driver under the Output options in FL's audio settings.

3) Found the input device under the IN menu.

The latency's all right; it's not too slow, but it's noticeable, though. Not sure what speed it runs at.

thats odd, cause i've usually found that a lot of external vsts won't respond to note panning/velocity, etc. I've never had a problem panning out notes in soundfonts.

What you might want to do if nothing is working is, clone a new instance of the instrument, delete all the non-panned notes and just pan that channel how you want it. Likewise with the strings: make four channels of it and pan the channels as you want. Yeah it's tedious and less CPU efficiant, but if individual note panning aint working, that might be your only option.

Ok, thanks. I was worried that's what I would have to do. My poor slow computer, heh.

Is there a convenient way to possibly record directly from the (typing) keyboard in FL, just for recording the timings? It seems like it would be a helluva useful feature to have for implementing timing, and with the play-notes-from-the-keyboard feature already in place it only seems natural.

FL Studio doesn't load .sfpack or .sfark, they must be in .sf2 format. You can find converters easily enough on google, though.

As for storing them, there's a FLStudio\Data\Patches\Soundfonts\ folder, where I recommend you put them. That way they'll show up in the sample browser on the left under the Soundfonts folder.

And that brings me to:

A tip for advanced users!

This tip has mostly to do with organization and ease of navigation. As far as "where to put samples," I recommend you put all of them in a single folder like C:\Samples\, C:\ being whatever drive you want to put it on, and of course organizing the samples within that folder. This way, especially if you have multiple audio programs, there's a simple directory you can go to for everything, instead of a complicated path like C:\FLStudio6\Data\Patches\Soundfonts\Voice. I also recommend putting a \VST-DX\ folder on the same drive if you can. This is what I do, since I have FL Studio, Cool Edit, Modplug, Schism Tracker, OrgMaker, etc. Hopefully you'll find this organization tip very handy.

Thanks a lot! :D

But I still seek a lil more information about soundfonts: Is there more than one instrument in one soundfontpack? Because I can only hear one and they say that there should be more of em...