FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

Another question... Where are the actual instruments in FL? All I found were claps, drums, etc. No guitar or anything. :(

I do believe, that having asked such an unbeleiveable question, nobody will answer until you read the help file.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, READ THE HELP FILE. PLEASE.

Another question... Where are the actual instruments in FL? All I found were claps, drums, etc. No guitar or anything. :(

I do believe, that having asked such an unbeleiveable question, nobody will answer until you read the help file.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, READ THE HELP FILE. PLEASE.

needs more noobhate.

Channels>Add One>>clicky clicky on teh generatorrz

btw, there are actually crap guitar samples in the Strings folder under Packs.

don't use them ever.

cheers

Try it before you ask.

Overcoat is right, find out the old fashioned way: trial and error. I, as I am sure OC has, too, have learned this way, and have become very proficient at FLStudio.

Only post if you are completely clueless and have SEARCHED FOR AN ANSWER before just asking.

I'm noticing ridiculous discrepancies between the db meter at the top of the screen, the master meter in the mixer and the plugin db meter that I'm using. Is this normal? Man, how can I tell which one is accurate? I get everything leveled smoothly with the plugin meter and the master on the mixer, but the little meter at the top of the screen is flashing red like it's about to self destruct.

I'm noticing ridiculous discrepancies between the db meter at the top of the screen, the master meter in the mixer and the plugin db meter that I'm using. Is this normal?

I generally go by the meters in the mixer. I don't really see the point of dB Meter plugins, either, that's just silly. Name music software that doesn't have a dB meter built-in to its main interface already :). Hell I'm pretty sure eJay has one

to sum it up: mixer!

BUMP me if this question already passed :wink: ...

Got my hands on FL 6 recently, but one thing got me bugged. Usually (in the days of FL 5) when my crappy comp. couldn't handle my song, I'd pop up my mixer and turned on the "Smart disable for all", but now I can't seem to find the option...

I have this 'vague' memory in my mind of seeing it somewhere, but I can't remember...

So help me out...

Right now, I go to pattern 1 and set it a "Soundfont A", then I go to pattern 2 and set that as "Soundfont B". Then when I go back to Pattern 1, it's set as "Soundfont B" even though I just set it for "Soundfont A"!

Is there a way to use multiple sound fonts on multiple patterns?

I'm noticing ridiculous discrepancies between the db meter at the top of the screen, the master meter in the mixer and the plugin db meter that I'm using. Is this normal? Man, how can I tell which one is accurate? I get everything leveled smoothly with the plugin meter and the master on the mixer, but the little meter at the top of the screen is flashing red like it's about to self destruct.

Each meter tells you a different thing. thats why you have lots of them. The meters on the mixer tell you the output of the channel in question. The meter up the top tells you the output of fruityloops in total. Normally, these are the same... but they aren't.

For some bizzare reason, probably as a holdover from v1 or something, FL has total volume slider that isn't the master slider on the mixer. Its up the top left somewhere. Make sure that is set to 100%, and the top thing will be the same as master channel dB meter.

Oh, for your info, the top thing flashes red when it clips. Solve this by limiting.

Also, I find the dB plugin useful as it tells me what the levels are in the middle of a chain of effects. Nifty.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have a simple question. When I add a new channel to any pattern and play it, it always plays for too long. I want to shorten it's longevity and want to create a more staccato bass. And turn off that damn delay. I have read the user's guide, but I can't seem to find the problem.

Can anyone please help? :oops:

BUMP me if this question already passed :wink: ...

Got my hands on FL 6 recently, but one thing got me bugged. Usually (in the days of FL 5) when my crappy comp. couldn't handle my song, I'd pop up my mixer and turned on the "Smart disable for all", but now I can't seem to find the option...

I have this 'vague' memory in my mind of seeing it somewhere, but I can't remember...

So help me out...

recently found out this one myself...

tools>macros>switch smart disable

cheers :)

edit: to fenzark, just make the notes shorter in the piano roll or shorten the decay time.

what plugin are you using?

Hate to say it, but I have no idea. I just bought FL6, and I haven't imported anything new such as plugins into the software. Do you mean plugin as instrument, channels or something else (my guess is something else)? I'm just importing channels and using the standard sounds there.

Atleast I understood what you said, the Piano Roll enabled me to do exactly what I wanted. Thanks alot! :D

OK, this shouldn't actually go in this thread, but since I'm having the problem while using FL Studio, I'll just post it here.

I recently ( 2 days ago ) bought a brand new E-MU 0404 at the Sam Ash Music Store in Miami, and I'm really pleased with its overall performance. However, I can't seem to understand how to use the Patchmix DSP (which supposedly yields 0% CPU use when adding effects ).

I've loaded the E-MU POWERFX as a VST Effects plugin in a channel and routed a synth through this channel, but when I do there's a substantial lag between the moment when I press the key in my synth and the moment I hear it in the output. I've configured the E-MU ASIO driver for a latency of 19 ms but when I do this I'd say the latency doubles or triples.

Any tips on how to correct this, if possible?

I haven't tried the VST in any other VST-supporting sampler cuz I don't have any.

Just another quick question, I imported a MIDI file to FL6. But when I play it, it doesn't play at all. My volume on everything else is on full, and it works, but not when I play the MIDI track. Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

Just another quick question, I imported a MIDI file to FL6. But when I play it, it doesn't play at all. My volume on everything else is on full, and it works, but not when I play the MIDI track. Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

I think the last time OverCoat answered this he said Tools > Enable MIDI Output. I don't know though, I've tried it and it didn't work. I just send samples to the channels to get sound.

Thanks alot. I tried enabling MIDI output, still no sound. How do you send the samples to the channels from the MIDI file then?

(Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but this is a FL question thread after all :P).

doesn't fl6 have the LSD plugin, like FL 4 and 5? lead it into an effects channel, make sure the numbers match, and boom, midi sound.

this occurs because MIDI is supposed to happen post-FL, because it's hardwired into your sound card. so, the lsd sends it to the soundcard and ports it back into the effect channel you had originally. this way, you can hear it in playback and rendered stuff.

does that work?

I'm not sure if this is a FL specific problem or something to do with RAM or buffers or whatever, but I figure I'll ask here.

I have this project that sits at around 60% CPU use while idling with all tracks and plugins on. Playing, it goes up to around 80-90%. Everything is all fine and well until I export to MP3 (or Wav). In the MP3, my drums from Battery 2 drop out randomly, as if I had inattentively wiped the erase button all across the piano roll prior to rendering. It seems to get worse as the song goes on, actually. No other track but the drums has this problem.

After I export, the same thing that happens in the render starts happening in the actual project, and doesn't stop until I reload the project. Strangely, if I save the Battery kit with a new file name it fixes itself. (Until I render again, and then the same thing happens.) I've messed around with buffer lengths and that doesn't help.

I've made a billion songs with all the same plugins and stuff in the past, so it's definitely not a problem with something new I'm using, or a different setting or whatever.

Specs: (In case someone needs 'em)

1.5 Pentium M

1GB RAM

AC97 Sound

FL Studio 5

Not using a MIDI controller

Also: When I import MIDI data from Guitar Pro 4 to FL Studio, the slides and bends for the guitars don't carry over either in MIDI Out or in a VSTi track. FL just plays the bent note's root or plays the two notes detached. Any way to solve this?