FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

Rellik, could i please have a link to the flp? i think i'd be able to help you out more by lookign at that than by what you've described..

however, on the last tab on the sampler module, there is a knob that says "gate" if you have this set to full, there is no cut off of the note, but if its set any less than that, it will cut the note off after that maney milliseconds have passed... this can help synths, but hurt pianos.

Good idea, and I would upload the flp except that it uses soundfonts, and having to download them all would be kind of hassle, don't you think?

That gate thing is cool!

So I should have it on full gate? But I'm glad I know what it is now... it was starting to really confuse me. I knew what "gating" was, and now see what the gating knob is I see what's going on :)

Thanks

In the second incarnation of the piano, for some reason some notes cut off inconsistently for no apparent reason. I mean the part where the piano gets really busy and takes over the parts that used to be played by the bright, somewhat fuzy instrument in the beginning and the bass line. I think it might have something to do with the piano being really too busy to handle all of its notes correctly, but I have no idea what to do about it.

In the piano's track properties, go to the "MISC" tab and check to see how many voices of polyphony it's given. You need to have one voice of polyphony for each simultaneous note you want to press. For example, if you want to play eight notes at once, you'll need a max polyphony of eight.

This is only a possible solution, though. It could be a number of things.

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to to this forum, and I hope you guys will be able to help me. I just started using Fruityloops not too long ago, and am wondering whether is it possible to export scores from fruityloops (from the piano roll) and output into a music score sheet? Is there any way to do that? It'll make my life much easier on my keyboard/electone.

Thanks guys!

Mystical,

I don't think you can export scores directly from piano roll ... However, it's fully possible to export whatever music you've got already programmed into it out as a MIDI, then to import the MIDI into something like Cakewalk, which will allow you to view your song as a score.

I'm not that fluent with FL, either, but I'm fairly sure you can't view the song as a score using it.

Actually, you CAN export scores from the piano rolls. However, it saves them to .fsc files... which, as far as I know, are only useable by FL.

To do this, simply open the piano roll window of whatever it is you want exported, click on the little icon in the upper-left hand corner of that window, go to File --> Export As...

No sweat.

Hey just a quick question. I recently d/led a 100meg sound bank. I import one of my MIDIs and I drag the soundfont to the box left of the instrument. I then click on it, but I cannpt find where or how I am suppose to assign it a specific font. Can anyone help?

is it in SF2 format? this is the biggest problem with FL noobs...

Hey just a quick question. I recently d/led a 100meg sound bank. I import one of my MIDIs and I drag the soundfont to the box left of the instrument. I then click on it, but I cannpt find where or how I am suppose to assign it a specific font. Can anyone help?

is it in SF2 format? this is the biggest problem with FL noobs...

yes, it is SF2 :oops: I know I'm a nOOb with FL. All I plan on using it for is converting my Finale MIDIs to mp3 so any info on with this would be much appreciated.

In the top menu-----go to CHANNELS----ADD ONE---and choose Fruity Soundfont player from the list.

The default Soundfont loaded is "Nineteen" for me...so, when you see that, its where the name of the soundfont will show up. Directly to the left is a folder, click that to import...

Also, below is PATCH BANK NAME....you'll see that, trust me. if the word NONE is under name, then you need to click the word none. WHen you do, a window will open up and you can select the instrument. Sometimes a soundfont will contain multiple instruments. You can load them here.

If you don't do the above, you will end up hearing nothing sometimes when you play a soundfont. At first I thought the fonts were broken when I did it, but I figured this out eventually.

The default channel is a SAMPLE...which would be Wavs and stuff.

I had the same problem when I first started using FL, had to figure it out on my own though...

You have to use the plug in though to add soundfonts, so hopefully you have obtained the full version of FL, AND the full version of the SOUNDFONT player for FL...if not a p2p program is nice. Maybe if you typed in Fruity Soundfont you'd find it...but of course, that's all theoretical right? :wink:

The window is completely empty.

You don't have the SF player? :?

Well, if you can load a .sf2 into FL, then you have the player. When there are no instruments in the soundfont, that means it is an incomplete file. A lot of times when I download from www.thesoundsite.net only 64 KB of a soundfont will be downloaded, and therefore there is no data inside the soundfont. Try redownloading the same file.

In the top menu-----go to CHANNELS----ADD ONE---and choose Fruity Soundfont player from the list.

The default Soundfont loaded is "Nineteen" for me...so, when you see that, its where the name of the soundfont will show up. Directly to the left is a folder, click that to import...

Also, below is PATCH BANK NAME....you'll see that, trust me. if the word NONE is under name, then you need to click the word none. WHen you do, a window will open up and you can select the instrument. Sometimes a soundfont will contain multiple instruments. You can load them here.

If you don't do the above, you will end up hearing nothing sometimes when you play a soundfont. At first I thought the fonts were broken when I did it, but I figured this out eventually.

The default channel is a SAMPLE...which would be Wavs and stuff.

I had the same problem when I first started using FL, had to figure it out on my own though...

You have to use the plug in though to add soundfonts, so hopefully you have obtained the full version of FL, AND the full version of the SOUNDFONT player for FL...if not a p2p program is nice. Maybe if you typed in Fruity Soundfont you'd find it...but of course, that's all theoretical right? :wink:

So you're saying that if I want to save my work with the new soundfonts, I have to get the Soundfont Player as well?

Ok. (First off, know that I am a remixing noob) I've got a keyboard that has midi in's and out's, and I have an adapter/cord thet lets me plug it into my PC though the controler port. The problem is, I can't get FL to recognize that I have it connected. What do I do?

Ah, GrandMLee, you have the same question as I do! Although, I didn't even know FL could handle Midi keyboards, so my problem was connecting it with Cakewalk... but whatever.

Glad to see I'm not the only one having problems with midi...

Also, this is probably a stupid question, but how do you use a VSTi in FruityLoops? I think it might have more than one step from what I've been able to read, so this is just from downloading (what folder does it go in?) up to actually putting it in the song. Thanks, if anyone knows this. I think I'm relying too much on Soundfonts, which don't have a variable enough sound for my taste, but right now all I've got is those, the FL samples, and 3xOsc. I downloaded a few of these VSTi's, but have no idea what to do with them. If you could tell me where they go and what I do with them, I would appreciate it very much.

rellik, to use VSTi in Fruity, simply put the dll into the vsti plugin folder, then tell it to do a fast scan. it will then see the dll file, and ask you if you would like to add it to the list of plugins to select to create new channels.

Garian isn't quite specifying enough, so follow these steps:

After making sure your VST/VSTi is in the VST directory (\FruityLoops\Plugins\VST\), do the following:

In FL:

1.) Go up to CHANNELS at the top of the screen.

2.) In the drop-down ADD ONE menu, click on "More..."

3.) Down at the bottom, tell it to scan for new plugins (do the "recommended" fast scan).

4.) New plugins will appear in the list in red text. Click on the little "F" next to each one of the read plugins that you believe is the VST plugin(s) you're trying to add.

5.) Go back up to CHANNELS --> ADD ONE

6.) Find your new plugin and click on it to add it into the step sequencer.

Thanks Garian and Beatdrop! Actually, I managed to figure out what Garian was saying because I had gotten little inklings of the "Channels, Add One, More..." bit from where I could over the internet and the help file, although I couldn't find the whole answer. But thanks anyway, Beatdrop, that's exactly what I did, and it works perfectly. And I'm sure it'll help somebody else when they come browsing through this thread looking for answers.

Now I can finally make the kind of sounds I'd like to! VSTi's are way better than soundfonts, although they are sometimes harder to find. If you want some links/downloads of free VSTi's, go to www.mda-vst.com!

sorry bout that dain, but i'm not technical about things like you are... i figure, if i generalise enough, people will actually understand me. FL is a rather non-difficult program to figure out if one would experiment with it anyway, but you're right, there are people so dense that they need a step by step walkthrough =P