FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

OKay....

I have 1 drum pattern, 1 guitar pattern, 1 intro, and one pattern with vocals I imported into my FL Studio 6.

I started with making my drum pattern and set that to a tempo of 60; of course the guitar and intro follow that as well.

NOW TO the problem...

When I play my vocals on pattern 4, it is super slow/slurred during play back. Even if I load the wav file into the playlist it is slurred just the same. How can I make my vocals ignore the tempo settings? Or is there something else making it do this? I don't have any FX at all on anything....HELP

okay, figured out the problem from above....

but does anyone know how to stop a sound from continuing to echo in sytrus? I'm using the piano roll and after playing, for instance, 4 keys in a row...after the last key is played the sound keeps on to do the echo and never stops

I've tried playing with the decay level but that doesn't help...any suggestions?

Hey, i certainly know that i cannot learn this instantly i can tell by how complex the program looks. However do i need experiance in these sort of programs before using fruity loops? Im just looking for a bit of help from this site, thanks :D

No, you do not have to have experience. Experience is what you will gain right now. So play around with FL as much as you can. Read the manual and/or the Helpfile..

N Joy..

P'z..

okay, figured out the problem from above....

but does anyone know how to stop a sound from continuing to echo in sytrus? I'm using the piano roll and after playing, for instance, 4 keys in a row...after the last key is played the sound keeps on to do the echo and never stops

I've tried playing with the decay level but that doesn't help...any suggestions?

I've actually been screwing with this lately. Those dern echoes have made me brown with annoyance! I will get them one day...

All revenge plots aside, lets see if I can help...

In the Channel settings of your preferred instrument, you should see a tab at the top that says FUNC. In theh FUNC window, in the bottom left side abouve the onscreen keyboard you should see a square with the title "Time". Inside should be two knobs. GAT and OFS. The OFS knob should be put all the way to the right. The GAT knob can be set anywhere inbetween the top and far left. It should look like this:

e5ae7d7cda.jpg

And that's it! If it doesn't work, I'm genuinely sorry, or as sorry as a nihilist can be.

EDIT: It's kind of strange though. The only time I have this problem is when I use the steps, not the piano roll. Hmmm...

EDIT: Okay, I figured out that the damp and damp time are linked to 'Fruity Peak Controller' but it still doesn't explain how that guitar sound is being produced. I mean, all the children are 'silent'...

I have FL Studio Producer Edition 6.0.8 and in the 'Cool stuff' folder there was a song named Tesseract. I've been trying hard, but I just can't figure out how the guitar works.

First of all,

Why does the volume of a note in the damp and damp time channels affect the Guitar layer? What sort of advanced technique is being used here. I don't understand.

Next,

When I click on the Guitar layer and 'Show Children', it shows all the children. But whenever I try to play a note in any one of these 'children', I barely hear anything. Yet when I play a note in the guitar layer, there's this awesome guitar sound. What the heck? Where is the guitar sound coming from if none of the children make any sounds? I don't understand this concept.

Hope someone can enlighten me...

Thanks,

Dalal

EDIT: Okay, I figured out that the damp and damp time are linked to 'Fruity Peak Controller' but it still doesn't explain how that guitar sound is being produced. I mean, all the children are 'silent'...

I have FL Studio Producer Edition 6.0.8 and in the 'Cool stuff' folder there was a song named Tesseract. I've been trying hard, but I just can't figure out how the guitar works.

First of all,

Why does the volume of a note in the damp and damp time channels affect the Guitar layer? What sort of advanced technique is being used here. I don't understand.

Next,

When I click on the Guitar layer and 'Show Children', it shows all the children. But whenever I try to play a note in any one of these 'children', I barely hear anything. Yet when I play a note in the guitar layer, there's this awesome guitar sound. What the heck? Where is the guitar sound coming from if none of the children make any sounds? I don't understand this concept.

Hope someone can enlighten me...

Thanks,

Dalal

The sound is originally coming from Packs\Shapes\HQ\HQ_SmoothInvSaw.wav

After you "Show Children", click on any red L, R, or Thindist to get to it's Channel Settings window.

From there, switch the "Plugin/Smp/Ins/Misc/Func" bar to "Smp" to change the sound, or "Plugin" to change it's settings.

Those shapes are then routed through a shitload of mixer plugins/effects on Mixer channels 9-13, and 25-30 has some more. :lol:

Guitar is just a Layer that controls everything from Param. EQ to the last L, so if you put notes on it, it will use all those things.

You can set Guitar to use different channels with "Set Children"; lighting up channels to green on the bar to the right of their name.

If you want to reset it and start over, right click that red "Guitar" in the Step Sequencer, then go Replace->Sampler.

Now just pick a sound on the left browser, like Packs->Percs->PERC_Isle Mallet_C4 and send it to the channel to mess with it. Ha.

I'm just posting to share a simple trick with the Fruityloops Slayer plugin I stumbled across the other day.

There's actually a way to add some character to the POWER Rock setting, I imagine this works on some others too.

What you want to do is clone the channel, then on the second version of the channel back the dampening dial off to around 30%. Then place what would be your palm muted chords on the dampened channel. (Palm muting is what gives distorted guitar that chug chug sound on a real guitar).

Listen to this short sequence, the first part is without the Palm muting and the usual dull sound then listen to it as it develops.

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/LordDavias/thefinalact2.mp3 (right click and save as)

I would read the whole thread to check for an answer to my question but...er....it's quite big. I'm looking for a reals idiot's (noob's, if you will) guide to FL Studio. I just got it and have no idea on what to do with it.. :wink:

sounds good mojo hamster, if u like slayer, u gotta check out slayer2 just got it, it is bad ass, i will never use the original again.

OK, now on to my question. I've been working on a mix and I have been updating and changing it constantly the past couple of days and I just noticed recently, whenever I have fruity loops running, there is loud buzzing noise that comes out of my speakers every couple of minutes. Now when I turn off fl studio or listen to regular music on wmp, that doesn't happen. Even more disturbing is when I export my mix as an mp3, that same buzzing sound comes across every 20-30 seconds. I rip the mp3 file with all the highest settings too and nothing else running on my computer(i even turn off anti-virus). I have so many effects generators and instruments, that when I open my source file in fl studio, my cpu usage goes from 0% to 60%. I have a 3.4ghz processor, 1gb ram, and a xi-fi soundcard. Any advice on how to get rid of that damn buzzing noise. To even listen to my mix now, I have to export it and listen to it as an mp3 bc cpu usage goes up to 100% in fl studio when I play it. Sorry for the long message, their are alot of details, you can be as technical as u want in ur response I'm a tech.

Buzzing noise, you say? Would it be a gradual fading in and out kind of noise? If so, you're probably hearing the effect of a demo version of a VSTi. You probably have so many effects and generators, like you said, that you might have overlooked one. It might be FL Slayer 2, believe it or not. I know for a fact that the demo version purposely adds that buzzing noise.

A lot of demo sound generators I've tried do similar things, like adding noises, fading out the instrument volume, etc.

yup it's slayer2, read through al the manuals. It is the most bitching guitar synth vsti though, what a shame, oh well as long as i rip the mp3 right after i open it and turn off alot of my processes fl studio can rip the mp3 in time before the buzzing noise starts, thanks!

Has anyone found instruments that would be similar to what enya uses, or similar to instruments used in movie themes like braveheart, last of the mohicans, crouching tiger hidden dragon? I know there is a sample thread i'll be posting there too. If u anyone knows just send me a personal message, so this forum doesn't get cluttered. I really need these intruments for 2-3 themed remixes i'll be working on.

I have question:

Does anyone know how to synchronize (pan, phaser, flanger, delay and volume) to the BPM of the tune?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean that they oscillate up and down in time with the beat? If so, then just whack down an fruity peak controller, set the LFO to the time you want - it will tell you how large the period is in beats:steps up in the info box. Then just link the right controller to the LFO of the Fruity Peak Controller. Easy. Well, for volume and panning anyways.

Delay is already in time with the beat - see how it says 3 steps? That means it delays the note 3 steps before playing it again.

Phasing and flanging is tricky. Your best bet would be to find some VST that has speed in steps, not seconds or hertz.

I am very curious now. I was wondering if there is a good way to make an effect on FL called 'gradual decrease in tempo'. Do you know? When everything in the track become slower by time? Japanese Swamp and Subterranean Opus are some examples of what i am talking about.

If this question was already answered, post the link of that. Sorry for not reading all this thread, but this one is nowadays too huge.

I am very curious now. I was wondering if there is a good way to make an effect on FL called 'gradual decrease in tempo'. Do you know? When everything in the track become slower by time? Japanese Swamp and Subterranean Opus are some examples of what i am talking about.

If this question was already answered, post the link of that. Sorry for not reading all this thread, but this one is nowadays too huge.

Doomsday has it right, but I'll just talk a bit more here, as you seem a little confused. Effects are thigns that change sounds - delay, reverb, distortion and the like. Automation is something that controls a parameter. Since tempo is a parameter, you want to automate it. One way is the event editor. Another way is to use automation clips. I suppose you could even bind it to another controller, but that would end up with WHACK effects.