FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

AHAHAH thanks to CompyFox I can now use my mad piano skills in my remixing and computerized composing! I bought a MIDI > USB adapter thingy and it works great... now I need to figure out how to make it work with FL.

How do I make it record into the piano roll? Whenever I try to record (I just make the little record button white, and set it to countdown, metronome, and only to start when it registers notes from the MIDI keyboard.

And then I press play. It turns into a "..." and then I start.

But the problem is, it only records the notes into the simplified percussion thing... you know, the big grid of little buttons that turn white. It records into that. Thus, it won't let me record past the measure mark, at which point it turns around and records over that same measure again.

How can I make it record into the piano roll, which has no limit to size? Also, I'm assuming that this problem will be fixed once I can record into the piano roll, but right now it's only recording with a quantization of one... "dot". As in the little button thingy. Even when I change the setting... but, again, I think this will solve itself along with the first problem.

Anyway, thanks!

Heh, this is pretty quick, but this is my first experiment with using my keyboard with FL. I played one of themes from one of my old piano compositions and recorded it into FL, then arpeggiated and echoed it. I think it turned out pretty well :). If you want to hear it, it's up Here

Whoa... if anyone's heard my "Blue Matter" ReMix (it's in the WIP board, if you'd like to check it out... and it would be great if anyone from this thread could go and comment on the FL-related aspects of it) then please don't think of that when you think of Rellik's work. Not that it's bad, although (at least) one person thinks so, but armed with this simple tool of a Yamaha PSR-262 I aim to, in time, create some really outstanding remixes. Then again, who doesn't?

The Fruity Phaser has a knob on it called "Feedback." This is essentially your Wet/Dry mix knob. Simply automate this knob in your song to turn the phaser on and off. There is no way to deactivate/activate FX plugins via automation. However, most of the FX have controls to allow you to increase/decrease the amount of application. Just automate that to turn 'em on and off.

• 2 weeks later...

All right, I'm considering getting FruityLoops, sounds cool, 'specially since I heard that some of my favorite Remixers use it. Unfortunately, I need to save up some money, having a low cash flow. Plus, I love music, but I haven't got much musical training. So, just a few questions.

For someone without much money, which is the best version of FruityLoops to buy?

If I buy it, will I really need any other programs to make a high-quality mix? Which ones?

How much musical talent do you need to use this tool?

the 99$ pack is the best route, you get updates for life, and most of the plugins are about 20$ each.

there are plugins for fruityloops that cost more money (dx10, wasp, simsynth, fruity SF player), but aside from those, you just need a good soundcard.

and 3: ...

the 99$ pack is the best route, you get updates for life, and most of the plugins are about 20$ each.

there are plugins for fruityloops that cost more money (dx10, wasp, simsynth, fruity SF player), but aside from those, you just need a good soundcard.

and 3: ...

Right on brotha, unless you want to in debt the rest of your life and get the God version...

Two things

How do i get the songs to record or keep playing while in other channals

and

Where would i find a "GOOD" tutorial for this online?

Uhh, hit the 'song' button right up there next to the play button is probably the answer.

Also, LOTS of tutorials. There's a GREAT one that comes with the program, but if you want a little extended help:

http://lister.e-officedirect.com/lister.exe?forumname=Fruityloops&Filename=335.html

sorry if this is being asked again, but the explanation i got earlier didnt make any sense and i didnt bother following up in it because it wasnt a problem again, but now it is.

i have a song, and it's *long*. if i try to modify a little 10 second section of panning that i didnt like, it erases the panning for the entire damned channel instead of just slipping the new panning in. it also does this when i skip ahead in the song to where the next instance of the track is so i can resume panning without having to wait three minutes through the song for it to get there, and it erases all panning. is there a way to make fruity loops just *insert* the new panning instead of completely destroying the entire automation and replacing it with my ten seconds of new automation?

thanks for any help.

http://bands411.com/resdntevilfreak/music/Berceuse.mp3

in this song i made, i REALLY like the panning effect on that harpsichord-like thing that plays the main melody, but to have this affect it's applied to EVERYTHING, is there a way to just apply this affect to that ONE instrument.... so it doens't do it through out the whole song, or can i turn this affect off or something!?!

Give the effect it's own channel, and maybe make a copied channel so you can use the same thing without the effects.

Thanks, I don't quite get what you're saying, but I'm gonna mess around with it a bit, it's just that i read the help contents, and that confused me a bit.... but i'll see what i can do, and if it doesn't work i'll just let you all no and then you can help me again :)

Hopefully one of you will be able to help me. I've got two problems which basicly ruin the entire FL experience (besides not being able to get whats in my head down onto a piano roll)

The first problem involves an EXTREMELY unpleasant and rather loud squelch which wont go away until i hit stop. The other is a *click* which stops all sound, but the song keeps playing (with no sound...how entertaining)

The second problem is when I'm exporting a song thats too complex for me to listen to in FL, into an MP3. FL will have some kinda fatal error, and systematically close around 30-50% of the way complete.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Problem 1: I don't have a frickin' CLUE what the loud squelch could be, but the "click" noise followed by silence sounds like a case of extreme clipping. Try EQing and compressing EVERYTHING until it stops doing that.

Problem 2: Before I could even fathom a guess, I'd need your system information (ie: processor speed, memory, OS, soundcard, etc.).

I have some question that should have quick answers.

1:When more than one piano rolls are in a pattern, their lengths all conform to the longest roll. An interesting time when 1=5

2:Can the roll be told to re-cycle through the notes after tthe last note is played, rather than at the end of the measure the last note is on?

3:Starting Automation, but I cannot even find the event editor.

Guy with ninja Avatar: I'd obliqly say you have a codecs problem. I had severe compressed noise front all aounds play off the HD, but not from acd. It fixed itself on reboot, but is a good chance your comp has forgotten how to even understand what sound is anymore with certein codecs. But thats not my real opinion.

forgetting is not having till the words are right

I have some question that should have quick answers.

1:When more than one piano rolls are in a pattern, their lengths all conform to the longest roll. An interesting time when 1=5

2:Can the roll be told to re-cycle through the notes after tthe last note is played, rather than at the end of the measure the last note is on?

3:Starting Automation, but I cannot even find the event editor.

1.) Not sure I understand what you're asking...

2.) Not yet, but you will be able to in 4.0 (beginning if next month). I'm not really sure why you'd want to anyway...

3.) Right-click on any knob and click "Edit automation"