FRUITY LOOPS 101 - PLEASE direct -ALL- FL questions here

starla

are they sf2 or wav files?

In any case both will work, take your "sample" and simply follow this directory: (the harddrive I have my fl studio on is my G drive)

G:\Program Files\Image-Line\FL Studio 6\Data\Patches

Then you'll see all the folders for your instruments, and then stick your samples in whatever folder you want them in. And after that open up fl studio and go to the folder and...whamo they're there.

Don't know if that answered your question. As long as you can take and your export your samples from cool edit pro as wav files it'll work.

hey, scandernasher, you see that Sticky called "looking for a synth, sample or effect?" Yeah? Go look in that.

Also, an awful lot of early rap was amde by nothing but an 808 - and I think all the samples for the 808 coem with fruity. So try them out.

Is there any way of controlling which instrument is being played by my midi controller with some selection buttons on the front of my controller? This is so that I can quickly change, from example, from strings to piano and not having to go get the mouse and aim at the midi in selector in a live performance....

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that the different colours of the notes on the piano roll relate to different midi channels. Maybe that'll help you out a lil.

Ok, I got a problem with tempo. I have been messing around with automation clips etc... and have not solved this problem.

I have some piano playing that is changing tempos all the time so it matches up with the vocals. There is no way around that.

What I am trying to do is keep the drums playing at the same tempo while the piano is changing tempos all over the place. So can I have two different set tempos at the same time.

Is the only way to do this, is to rip the piano and the vocals as an mp3 and dump it back into fruity loops and then do the drums over it?

Kontakt has it in for me.

What I want to do is to have four separate channels, each with one instrument, and have Kontakt or Kompakt (Kontakt in this case, I'm doing a jazz mix) use the input MIDI data and send to four separate output channels.

To do this, I have one channel using Kontakt as the generator and the other three using MIDI Out. All the MIDI Outs are set to send on MIDI port 1 to the channels 2, 3, and 4, with the Kontakt channel being channel 1. Kontakt has MIDI port 1 selected as its input port and has my four instruments set up to get MIDI data on the appropriate channel.

Kontakt only has three built-in outputs: two stereo outputs, st. 1 and st. 2, and a surround output. Since I can't use the group thing that you mentioned, like I can in Kompakt, I made two more output channels, named them st. 3 and st. 4, and set them up to output to channels 5/6 and 7/8 respectively.

So far, so good. What I'd expect to happen here is that mixer channel 1 will get the piano, channel 2 will get the bass, channel 3 will get trumpet, and channel 4 will get drums, everything will be playing the correct part, and won't be playing more than one part. What's happening instead is that the trumpet is getting mixer inserts 3 and 4, and the drums are getting 5 and 6.

It's not a fault of the trumpet instrument or the way it's set up; if I disable the piano and send the trumpet output in Kontakt on st. 1, it only uses one insert on the mixer (and it doesn't overlap with other mixer tracks either; I checked for that).

One way around this would be to have two copies of Kontakt, one for trumpet and piano and one for bass and drums, so that I can use st. 1 and st. 2 in each, but that seems like a silly wokraround when I'm probably doing something else wrong.

I looked throught the FL Studio Bible and Kontakt 2 manual and couldn't find anything to indicate that what I'm doing is wrong or that I've missed something. Any help would be appreciated.

Is there any way of controlling which instrument is being played by my midi controller with some selection buttons on the front of my controller? This is so that I can quickly change, from example, from strings to piano and not having to go get the mouse and aim at the midi in selector in a live performance....

Hmmm. I don't know about switching from instrument to instrument all speedy like, but you could split your keyboard for live play.

Spliting in this case means that part of your keyboard controls one instrument, and another part controls a different instrument. Do this with the Layer channel. I think there are some instructions in the help file.

I know how to split by using the layer thingy, but it's not what I'm looking for. What I want to do is to be able to switch between instruments by just pressing a button in my keyboard. I've seen people do it in live performances, and it should be feasible, I mena, the buttons generate a midi CC signal, but the thing is that instrument selection doesn't seem to be automatable nor mappable in FL nor Reason...

I know how to split by using the layer thingy, but it's not what I'm looking for. What I want to do is to be able to switch between instruments by just pressing a button in my keyboard. I've seen people do it in live performances, and it should be feasible, I mena, the buttons generate a midi CC signal, but the thing is that instrument selection doesn't seem to be automatable nor mappable in FL nor Reason...

The answer to your problem is really very simple. The MIDI-specs define this thing called a Program Change. (Often called Patches, at least when dealing with GM or soundfonts). Most midi-keyboards already have buttons to select various the various programs (instruments) available, and FL responds to that out of the box, no extra automation or mapping is needed. If your keyboard is programmable, you will probably be able to make the buttons send program changes to predefined programs as well, so that you won't have to go through several programs to find the one you want.

The answer to your problem is really very simple. The MIDI-specs define this thing called a Program Change. (Often called Patches, at least when dealing with GM or soundfonts). Most midi-keyboards already have buttons to select various the various programs (instruments) available, and FL responds to that out of the box, no extra automation or mapping is needed. If your keyboard is programmable, you will probably be able to make the buttons send program changes to predefined programs as well, so that you won't have to go through several programs to find the one you want.

wow, I hadn't realised before, but what you're saying is true. It works a bit awkwardly ( I have 10 selection buttons and they work as 4 only), but it works.

thx!

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way to load just one VSTi into a channel, but use multiple sounds on that VSTi in different patterns? For example: I want to use a piano sound in pattern 1, but a string sound in pattern 2, on the same instance of a VSTi. The VSTi I'm using allows loading multiple slots of intruments at one time, but I don't want to have the piano and the strings playing at the same time. How could I achieve this without loading another instance of the same VSTi?

Mahon: this is where internal midi comes in handy!

Set the VSTi to midi port 0, then you'll be able to use MIDI out channels that correspond with the channels in the VSTi. Say it's Edirol Orchestral and the flute's on channel 4. Set the MIDI out to channel 4 and it'll play the flute through it if the MIDI port is on 0.

If you have more than one multi-output VSTi, then just use the next ports [like 1] and just set whichever midi outs to those ports. Don't forget to label all those MIDI Out channels! Otherwise it'll get confusing.

Guest Colonoscopy of the Dead

This is psuedo-off topic, but does anyone know i can find good saxophone sound files to use with flstudio? i tried some stARK files and unzipped them but they aren't recognized

• 2 weeks later...

1. Have a blank pattern set to a different tempo. And put that pattern in the song where you want the tempo to change. Also you can right click on where you change the tempo and create an automation clip. This automation clip controls what the tempo throughout the entire song.

2. Go to your piano roll and select channel volume. There you can control what the volume is at any time. So simply fade the volume out at the end.

3. Open up the channel settings on your midi out. Click the pull down menu that says "Midi Out" and go to presets. Select one. Then go to the pull down menu right below it and whammo you got tons of things you can export midi in.

• 3 weeks later...
2. Go to your piano roll and select channel volume. There you can control what the volume is at any time. So simply fade the volume out at the end.

Where is this? I have an instrument on piano roll. I click the bar and it opens up the piano roll editting screen. I can't find where I can change where the volume drops in a song. I can change the overall volume of that channel, but I can't seem to make it start loud and trail off, so it doesn't abruptly end and sound idiotic.

Does anyone know if the Fruity Loop tutorial videos on the company's website any good? Do they cover a lot of material and present it well? I mean has anyone watched those and after the fact say, "I'm now 243% more effecient"... Ok 243% is a bit of a stretch... more like 240%.

K so I'm having an extremely annoying problem. Basically, certain VST's are introducing latency to my songs in FLStudio. In FLStudio, everything sounds fine (at low latency anyways) but whenever I render a song using one of the affected plugins, there's very noticable timing errors that totally throw everything off and essentially break the songs.

Basically, certain VST's are another 10-20 ms behind everything else in the mixdown. But it varies. If it were simply 10ms, I could probably compensate, but it appears to be different each time. The latency is also seemingly dependent on the buffer size. If my buffer size is 10ms or less in FLStudio, the timing seems just fine. But above that, and especially at 50ms or higher, the timing errors become apparent.

Unfortunately, there's no control whatsoever over FLStudio's buffer settings upon mixdown, so it's basically fucked.

Any suggestions? Please, this is killing me.