My FTPs! FUCK!

Shael Riley

Suddenly, neither WinSCP nor Dreamweaver can connect to FTP site to upload files--they don't see the sites; they say the server is not up. But the server IS up; I know this because I can view my the hosted sites I'm trying to update when I open them in Firefox, for example: www.thewritingghost.com is stored on hosthackett.com, which is up, but cannot be accessed by Dreamwaever. I've connected to Hosthackett and uploaded files via Dreamweaver as recently as yesterday and have made no changes to my settings. Can anyone think of what may be going on?

I've uninstalled and re-installed WinSCP, but to no avail.

well, winSCP is SSH rather than FTP, so its possible that the SSH daemon on the server crapped. do you have anything (cygwin, secureCRT) to manually SSH in and see whats going on? if so you can maybe do a tcpdump to see if youre packets are even arriving there. if they are you can see what, if anything, is being sent back.

are you using IP addresses or domains? a domain will always point to the correct IP address, since it registers with DNS, even if the IP changed.

if you are using IPs, are you using private IPs while on a different network?

i dunno just throwing things out. i would need more information.