OCR00798 - Final Fantasy VIII "Man with Another Trance Machine"

orkybash

Final Fantasy VIII 'Man with Another Trance Machine'

Much improved over the original version! I love the breakdown midway through the song - I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff when it's done well. My only gripe - albeit a major one - is the way a lot of the synths are detuned. Very distracting IMHO, but I know Beatdrop knows what he's doing so I can chalk this up to artistic decision rather than lack of skill.

Indeed, a large part of "anthemic trance" is detuned synths, namely made using sawtooth waveforms, but I besides that I wanted to make this sound different from the original, but not fucked up. I don't know, maybe I went too overboard for some people? Anyway, I also agree that it's hellabetter in comparison to the original.

You have no idea how many different versions of this song I've done since the first... it never seemed to come out right.

Beatdrop - I know a lot about music theory, and I can tell you that there is one major thing to me that sticks out quite a bit.. Your base line is... just wrong, sometimes. Making the bass note a non-chord tone is not a good thing. The main "beat" could also be slightly varied in key. There are a few times where you attempted to do this, but um, screwed up.

Of course, it is still a great listen - enjoyed it far more than the original.

Good work!

It sounds alright overall, the thing that gets me is that the synth on the melody sounds out of tune. The higher it gets, the more out of tune it seems. Unfortunately, with my ear, it really bugs me... That's about all I can say. If that melody had been fixed, I would have thought it was a lot better.

I'll have to agree.. it has some good parts but it occasionally goes out of tune :?:(

A decent arrangement - My gripe is the fact that everything is panned to the left to a certain extent. It's REALLY annoying to listen to :( Some of the synths are rather.. eh, blah, to me. :/ Oh well, a remixer can't please everyone.

i guess im not very picky because i thought it was great(of course i haven't heard the origianal :? ) but i'm sure this one is better.

good job! 8)

Pretty good. I thought there was room to make this thing more energetic. Also, you've got the treble on this way up...It may sound good on your audio system, but it's annoying on most other people's. When you are mastering, try to listen to it in winamp or something and watch the visual eq thingy and compare it to professionally recorded songs in the same genre to get the balance better. Some of the synths were pretty generic sounding, but overall, this way a pretty cool mix.

A good fresh view on a good track. While the treble is much too high for my liking and sometimes the thing sounds slightly off or a tad messy, overall this is a high-quality remix, though I would still rather listen to the original. My only complaint is the lack of bass, which in my humble opinion is a requirement for all trance songs. To recap: good, but not great. Get it if you like the original track and would like to hear it in a new light.

Sorry to say that. But for me, it's nothing more than a ripoff from Van Valburg's "Man with the Machine Gun" on "Project Majestic Mix" CD.

Okay, it's nice play with the synthy. But besides. Starblaze and DarkCecil13 are right. The Track panning is far too left, it's too much Base Drum. You can't hear the tunes clearly (in my opinion), sometimes it sounds simply wrong and not properly tuned. (Sometimes to "flat" or "naked" too).

I don't want to insult you, Beatdrop. But this is a track what I produce in one night (with Cubase) or perhaps in two in help with a MIDI and Fruity Loops. I guess I stick more to Van Valburg's version and the original one.

Okay first of all I have over 2 gigs of OC Remix material so I'm speaking from experience as well as personal taste here. Beatdrop, this is one of my favorite 2 mixes that you've made. It does not sound like a rip-off of MMG from PMM (which I was dissappointed with btw.) When I heard the original mix you submitted I was turned off by the synth patches but at the same time enjoyed the liberties you took with the tune and the level of energy it had. With this new mix my only gripe is the panning issue. I prefer this treble heavy style, I like the detuning, I like the fact that it sounds different from the other electronica pieces on the site (many of which I don't enjoy even though electronica is one of my favorite genres.) If you don't think it's one of your better mixes, well fine, you are entitled to your own opinion. But I think it's better than the vast majority of the electronica on the site, original and better than most of the stuff you've done too (with the possible exception of your collaboration with MP and Ailsean.) Is anyone reading this? I want more tune in this direction!

Kudos to Beatdrop.

Currently being considered mix:

FF IV Boss Beats Floor

available at

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/paladin/

and

http://www.vgmix.com/songview.php?songid=1826

Discussed in Works in Progress at

http://remix.overclocked.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7658

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is some decent coverage of Laguna's battle Theme, I will say that much. Great sound, very much on the level of most professional trance. Unfortunately, it just lacks a certain something for me. It just doesn't move to the same extent as Standby's "Desperados," which was the first remix of this theme I downloaded, and remains one of my favorite OC Remix trance tracks. I'm sure there are people out there that prefer this to "Desperados," I'm just not one of them. However, I do commend beatdrop for his take on a great theme.

7/10

• 4 weeks later...

Eh, I'll be honest and say I don't like this all that much... It's sounds a bit off key, and the instruments are nearly as bad as the last one. In fact, I think I liked the last one better, ESPECIALLY the intro! But, eh, this one doesn't do it for me. I dont' know any remix terminology, since I'm just a listener, but this one just... sounds bad.

When I first listening to the first one, and heard the intro, I was like 'Oh dear god, this is going to rock the hell out of me isn't it?'

...and then the synths came in and my ears exploded.

If you redo the last one with different synths, I think that'd be gold, but I really have to be honest when I say I really don't like this one at all. Nothing personal, Beat, but you've done better stuff.

2/10

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

This has got to be one of the worst remixes ever. I don't mean to be overly critical, but this mix does no justice to the original. In fact, it only uses like one riff over and over again. He forgot the best part of the song when it switches gears and it goes to that part with metal sounds. To those who actually appreciate the original you know what part I'm referring to. Also, there is absolutely no substance to this song. It's just you average run of the mill rave song. If you are braindead then I could see you liking this song, but if your like me and listen to Aphex Twin or Meat Beat Manifesto, then you would really be excepting something more. Now I'm not saying that Beatdrop needs to become a pro, but anyone can pull one riff out of a song and add cheap thumping. This song probably took 10 minutes to make. Sorry, but to all those that gave this song 5/5 you need to go hang yourself.

• 3 months later...

I don't agree fully with some of the other comments here--no, it's not my favorite remix on the site, but it is decent. Definatly deserving of at least 5/10. However, you can't listen to it in excess, and compared to the other MWAMG remix on here, this one pales. It's good to see the right idea though... a little more bass and focus and this could come together a lot more nicely.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00798 - Final Fantasy VIII "Man with Another Trance Machine"