Paper Mario - Gutsy Ghost

Lemonectric

As the title suggests, this remix is based on chapter 3 of Paper Mario. Forever Forest is the main source tune, but the Tubba Blubba battle theme also makes an appearance.

Gutsy Ghost (I would use tindeck but for some reason it just won't upload there...)

----------

Tubba Blubba is a big problem for the Boo Village at the base of Gusty Gulch. It is a peaceful day in the village when all of a sudden, Tubba Blubba comes down from his castle to gobble up every Boo in sight. One Boo decides he's had enough, and he marches heroically up to the fortress. After managing to get past all the guards, the Boo encounters Tubba Blubba on the top floor.

But...oh no! Tubba Blubba is invincible! The Boo is barely staying alive, when suddenly...Tubba Blubba's bedroom door opens. A large reddish blob is resting in the door's frame.

"Hey, Tubby, you said you were getting me tha-ohcrap."

The door slams shut, but the Boo has seen enough. He whooshes through the door and starts slapping the poor heart silly.

Well...yeah. Then everyone is happy again. :3

-------

Suggestions are good. And if you think you can do better, enter this week's PRC! If you're too terrible to beat even this, just enter anyway. We like contestants, and I'm just the bonus mix, so you won't even have to go against me anyway.

A really cool idea, it's very fun and mischievous sounding.

Nice panning on the flutes, and the percussion is really nice. Creative and interesting throughout.

I think the strings are too thin throughout; a good way of improving their sound easily is to double them, reduce the volume on the doubled part to about 50%, and raise or lower the double part an octave.

Brass is super hard to get sounding good, and you have a good base, but the attacks throughout are too similar; adjust the velocities randomly throughout the back-and-forth chord hits and it should sound a little better.

The soundscape frequently seems empty in spots; you started with a really fun bass part, but it kind of stopped later on, leaving an open bottom. The supporting strings could be thickened up as well.

The tempo changes and overall creativity are great on this, it just needs an upgrade in production. The samples aren't amazing, but I think you can improve their sound. You just need to keep the song's clarity while also thickening things.

• 2 weeks later...

Not bad at all! I love the eerie winds and... noises and stuff... and the ORGAN! Sorry if I'm bad at giving feedback; I don't know many musical terms. I like how you put the boss theme in there (the heartbeat was an amazing touch), but it seemed like you just kind of zipped through it when it deserves a little more attention. Despite this, I really like it, and it brings back great nostalgia. I hope you can get the piece onto the site!

• 4 years later...

The bass is great, The trumpet is great, The strings are great, the organ is AMAZING!

The only thing I disliked was that the drums can be a bit overbearing at times: 0:00-0:42, 0:45-1:13, 1:58-2:34 (just a bit), and 2:51-3:12. If you just turned down the drum's volume, that would be easily solved.