OCR00304 - Super Mario World "The Dark Reaches of SMW"

Saunders

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I put this on my iPod without listening to it beforehand, so I was walking down the street at night when it first happened to come on. At about 0:02 when that big beat kicks in for the first time, I thought "oh what the hell" and started dancing down the street. And then at 0:41, when Forest of Illusion came into the equation, I just had to go all out and danced all the way home. awwww yeah.

I guess it's a good thing that my 80-year-old neighbors were sleeping, although.. I'm sure they would have done the same.

It's hard not to compare this one to AeroZ/Zircon's more updated, fleshed out takes on the same theme, but even with those in mind I still think this one has its charms. The string samples feel weak but all the synthetic elements fit really well together. This one honestly feels like the kind of thing you'd hear passing the judges panel today, if the organic samples were updated and the arrangement was a bit more creative. Really nice work for such an early mix! :-D

• 3 weeks later...

I really like how the bass really sets the speed and even some of the tone for this mix. It's all like "This might be some creepy haunted forest but we are bringing some funk to this town." and proceeds to bring some funk to this town.

Annnyway, yeah. It sticks very close to the source and, knowing how old school this mix is, makes it sort of understandable.

Still this is a very quirky mix worth checking out.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The beats totally rock it for me. I think it has some great ideas, although the samples are obviously not very polished.

It seems like the percussion is doing its own thing and has an overindulgent "throw everything including the sink" programming with instruments- long before this idea got popular with a lot of electro house and dubstep stuff. Although it goes too far in some spots (change-ups could be tighter and less jarring) it's still pretty fun and ambitious stuff for the day.

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00304 - Super Mario World "The Dark Reaches of SMW"