Secret of Mana - The Earth Speaks

rhythmicon

Hello all!

Im working on a jungle remix of "Spirit of the Night" from Secret of Mana. Its turned out to be more upbeat than the original, and has got a bit of a trance flavour to it aswell.

Even if its not going to make judging, Ive really enjoyed making this, and I would really appreciate some constructive feedback on it. I am still doing work on the drums, and if anything akward stands out in the mixdown, dont hesitate to mention. Thx, guys. :grin:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5CVPGRW4

Rhythmicon

(Quinn D.)

thank you Legion303

i appreciate the input. i know what you're talking about on th panning of the hats. its a break im using that basically has 2 breaks hard panned together. maybe I can reduce the stereo field a bit. in regards to the 6 mins reference, I guess its because some people i give this out to may mix it with other tunes, so it would probably stay a little more fresh. but i do know what you mean... maybe a longer intro w/o pads would do.

thanx for your eartime

Ok, taking a listen:

-Comes right in with drum loop and flutes. Not necessarily bad, but you may want to come up with a more creative start.

-Sounds themselves are pretty good here, however this intro is too long and repetative. You've got the drum loop playing the same pattern, with no fills or changeups at all, from the beginning to 1:08. Same thing with flutes, but they go unchanged until 2:15.

I think you get the idea, cut down the intro section and try to vary it more; it's repeating the same sections over and over and just adding another sound every 8 bars or so.

-Yeah, as mentioned above, get rid of the hard-right kick panning :)

-Nice voice clip, I like that. Also, good use of sound effects and interesting breakdown with the nature sound effects.

-The bass sounds a bit weak for a drum n bass feel (I'm guessing that's what you're going for). It needs a stronger attack I think.

Other sections in the song have good ideas, but I think the whole thing suffers from being very repetative. Consider changing up the instruments, the beat pattern, etc. The production sounds pretty good from what I can tell, it just needs some more lovin on the arrangement side. You've got a good thing going so far, so try to come up with additional arrangment ideas and vary things up. Keep at it, I look forward to hearing the next version.