Javascript Validator / Code Highlighter Suggestions

Spunodi

Hi guys!

Hoping to dip my toes in this vast knowledge pool.

Basically, I am beginning part-time teaching in September and am in the process of planning lessons and schemes of work. One of the subjects I will be teaching is Javascript.

However, this module also encompasses programming concepts including designs and documentation, also including testing. Now to teach Black-Box testing is fairly obvious (play with your finished code using pre-determined inputs and comparing with expected outputs) however, as Javascript is written in plain text, the concept of White-Box testing would be hard to demonstrate.

I'm quite dismayed that Dreamweaver does not seem to have the same validation system as it does for xml etc. for javascript. So what I am looking for is a FREE program (so my students don't have to break the bank) that validates, checks structure, highlights code etc. for Javascript.

I understand there is a program named ScrypTik, but it has a pricetag so I'm looking for other suggestions.

Help appreciated.