OCR01609 - Tetris (GB) "Linear Groove"

djpretzel

Simple and slick. I love when a mix takes a solid underlying groove (like what’s established with the synth that kicks off the source material at 0:09) and runs with it. When that foundation is setup, there’s almost nothing you can do as a musician to screw it up. The guitar breaks at 2:10 and 2:39 are needed to break the monotony and they are great in their own right.

Not sure what you were going for with the decision to add vinyl pops and hisses throughout major portions of this. Yeah, it fills out holes in the soundsscape but at the cost of sound quality. And if it was the lo-fi thing you were after, the rest of the mix just doesn’t echo that. Meh, I’m probably biased after having heard earlier versions sans vinyl effects.

Speaking of that, I have a wip of this titled “Tetraphobia WIP v2.” Where in the timeline of WIP -> VGmix -> OCRemix does that version fall?

Eh, you're right. I've been listening to it more, and it's growing on me.

That being said, I still think it's missing something, but I can't put my finger on what.

could it be that it's intentionally missing something? 8-)

my overall point here is ocremixes are music, and a very strong niche genre at that

djpretzel linked to the dictionary.com definition of a big word for "meaningful" in the site mission for a very real reason, and it's my personal opinion that a very large portion of the community doesn't recognize that reason... however, for the sake of site growth and musical expansion, they are welcomed and guided as well as possible (given the dismal number of detailed listeners), and that is an extremely fair trade-off

dunno if that makes any sense, but I'm at least glad you took the time to listen in a different mindset... that means a lot to me as a musician

bai

Simple and slick. I love when a mix takes a solid underlying groove (like what’s established with the synth that kicks off the source material at 0:09) and runs with it. When that foundation is setup, there’s almost nothing you can do as a musician to screw it up. The guitar breaks at 2:10 and 2:39 are needed to break the monotony and they are great in their own right.

Not sure what you were going for with the decision to add vinyl pops and hisses throughout major portions of this. Yeah, it fills out holes in the soundsscape but at the cost of sound quality. And if it was the lo-fi thing you were after, the rest of the mix just doesn’t echo that. Meh, I’m probably biased after having heard earlier versions sans vinyl effects.

Speaking of that, I have a wip of this titled “Tetraphobia WIP v2.” Where in the timeline of WIP -> VGmix -> OCRemix does that version fall?

that was in the VGMix WiP stage, but it's almost an exact replica of the final version (I only worked on this mix thrice)

also, about the vinyl ambiance... you have no idea, dude

I actually rendered two versions of the song, one with the vinyl and one without, and I listened to them back to back on loop for about 3 nights before releasing this

when push came to shove, for me, the payoff of hearing the vinyl effects alongside the pizzicato with that ridiculous lo-fi filter combo was enough for me to leave it in

I'm just glad you heard that it was a instrumentational (is that a word?) sacrifice... you're definitely one of the scarce detailed listeners I've found in recent years

instrumentational

lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

It's time to come out of my lurker cave and make my singular post for the year. This song has been popping up a tremendous amount of times on my mp3 player. 2:09 kept really jumping at me, and for a while I couldn't figure out why. Then it finally hit me, it's very reminiscent of "Puttin' on the Ritz". That was such an AWESOME touch. Just how intentional was that? It's not my favorite Tetris mix, (can't say why) but it's resting comfortably in third place.

• 6 months later...

This mix just happened to pop up for the first time while I was driving home with my MP3 player on shuffle mode.

While it may not be the best mix ever, it certainly wins points for how addictive it is. I'll definitely end up leaving it on repeat for the next hour or so. Okay, so it's lacking in a few places, but that certainly doesn't make it a bad mix in my book. I'd give it an 8.9/10, personally.

Nice job, chthonic.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I, surprisingly, actually liked this one. This was surprising to me, because when the beginning came in with just those drums, I was thinking 'Oh, please no... not another with just loud drums. Not a beatbox remix...,' though not in such polite terms. It's one thing I HATE in music - drums drowning out everything else. Also the same with electric guitar and screaming into mikes, but hey. The relaxed tempo and the swing rhythm were very nice, and makes it one of those you can listen without really having to focus on it much. It is mildly repetitive, but then, so it the Tetris theme, the original name of which escapes me. One of the things you did nicely to break that repetition was to add slightly different notes that that bass was doing, which made each part identifiable. All in all, it seemed like a nice piece. The slowdown ending didn't quite match it, and (probably just me) the beginning was waaay too heavy on drums, but I think I'd give this one an 8/10 anyways. Yet another hit by Chthonic!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Fun and funky, this takes a very serious source and makes it into something that's catchy and quirky. I'm not sure of the drum sound used really, but it's small apples compared to the strengths on display here. Transitions were good between themes, and everything was clicking for most of the time. I loved that acoustic guitar breakdown.

Good work!

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
so dude like you totally wrote this song on my computer

so like theoretically im the reason it exists

props to me

Sup halc.

Nice mix, pretty funky stuff. I think the bass is too upfront - or the leads are too in the forground - and as a result, this mix gets stale quicker than it should, as the bass isn't very intresting considering its so upfront.

Not to say its bad, its just unpolished slightly.

Funky stuff from Chthonic! :P

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

What I like about early Ben's mixes is presence of live instruments. I like how playful this mix sounds. The lo-fi rock drums and some live-recording noises works greatly. The Korobeiniki section whcih starts at 1:41 is my favorite section, actually. And that drop at 2:09 is incredibly great. You know, it gives this bouncy and energetic mix some ethreal/floating feeling. The acoustic guitar & cello work is just incredible. Великолепная работа, Бен! :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01609 - Tetris (GB) "Linear Groove"