Iconic music

Lynx Raven Raide

Was just thinking about this, and will eventually end up being a top ten all time thing, but what game songs/music is iconic for their game/series. By iconic, I mean when you hear the opening notes you instantly recognise it as being from X game/series, or the mention of the game/series name, it is one of the first ones you think of. when posting, please put a reason why it seems iconic.

By now, you are wondering why i have put game/series. well for some submissions there will be solo games, or maybe have one sequel, but for others, there is an entire series. in order for fairness, when i come to organise the top 10 i am going to implement a rule of 1 song per series of 3 or more games. for now though, i am taking all submissions. another question mark at the moment is licensed music. for now, again, i am accepting them, but will wait and see when the time comes.

There is one rule with this thread: this is not a favourites thread. There are many songs that could be chosen, because you like them, but i am looking more for those that though they may not be your cup of tea, define or make you think of that game.

for now, my 2 first submissions:

Final Fantasy VII - One-Winged Angel

Why?: aguably FF VII is the most popular of the series, or at least well known, and once you hear the opening of this song, it instantly brings up images of Sephiroth walking though fire or decending to fight in the second-last battle. also it was unique, as most of the music through-out the game was synthesized, then this hits you and you go whoa!

Silent Hill - Silent Hill

Why?: It should be enough to say they used it for the trailers for the film, that is how much it represents Silent Hill. you hear the opening of it and you instantly think Silent Hill, and of course all the twistedness that comes with the games

so, what music do you think is iconic for a game or series

uhhh super mario bros.?

i don't really understand this thread, i think if you listen to any song enough times it becomes instantly recognizable.

any song can be recognisable, but does it stand out and instantly make you think of the game it is from? you gave a good one, the theme from Super Mario Bros. because when you think of that game, that is the tune you remember most

2 more from me:

Final Fantasy VII - Liberi Fatali

why?: while i could put Eyes On Me, I feel this more accuratly represnts the game. While Eyes On Me seems like a pop song slipped in, you can tell this one was written for the game.

Final Fantasy X - To Zanarkand

Why?: there are 2 others that i could have chosen for this, but like Eyes On Me, Otherworld feels "slipped in". the other choice would be the songs of the fayth, but i feel To Zanarkand feels a more iconic representation of the game

Indeed, the Super Mario Bros. theme.

Title screen song from Metroid (well, the first part of it at least). I don't think I have to argue why. Those six notes are the climax of both the Super Metroid and Metroid Prime 1 title screen song - the composer(s) knew what they were doing. I actually can't think of a more iconic video game tune (besides the Mario ones).

I can't wait for the day I see a Metroid movie teaser that consists of little more than 6 slow notes and some vague imagery.

... What, I can dream, can't I?

The main theme of Metal Gear Solid is up there....

...but the most iconic song of all VG music is probably the Final Fantasy Prologue (bridge-crossing theme) that plays during each game's credits (and in FF12's opening, which was incredibly awesome). When someone hears it, they just know.

Edit: The SMB theme is just as iconic, but I picture the orchestrated Prologue when I think of FF, and the 8-bit chiptune when I think of SMB...

Well, I have two...

Ridge Racer Revolution: "Rotterdam Nation"

I don't know why, but every time that I decide to play any Ridge Racer game, I find myself thinking of that song. Weirdly enough, they remixed it for the one for PSP. Added some bass to it and got creative with it.

Castlevania: (Ha, pick one) "Bloody Tears"

Everyone that knows me knows when I've just finished a session of pretty much any one of the series. Damn you Michiru, you make your tunes easy to hum, whistle and drum to. :-P The openings of the themes vary with each game as well as carrying a unique tone for the depth into the game. That's usually what catches my attention when it coms to this track. Not only the variants of this track, but the usage location. Builds tension into the game somewhat.

However, the only other two Castlevania tunes that instantly pops into mind at will are Blood Relations from SOTN and the Final Stage's music from Bloodlines. Luv those tracks.

Edit: I would also say the original boss theme from Gradius, but they just keep switching it up and remixing it in some way shape or form. Few would actually know the theme unless they actually beat it, though. I guess this is up for debate.

Ridge Racer Revolution: "Rotterdam Nation"

I don't know why, but every time that I decide to play any Ridge Racer game, I find myself thinking of that song. Weirdly enough, they remixed it for the one for PSP. Added some bass to it and got creative with it.

ah that would be Rotterdam Nation '94. There is a Rotterdam Nation on the first game, but it is this remix that i remember too. another iconic one from the Ridge Racer Series, at least for me, is Grip, but it would be a tough choice

ah that would be Rotterdam Nation '94. There is a Rotterdam Nation on the first game, but it is this remix that i remember too. another iconic one from the Ridge Racer Series, at least for me, is Grip, but it would be a tough choice

That's funny, because most who have played the series religiously don't even remember Grip at all. In fact, I've had one person tell me that it was only on the original Ridge Racer, and not Revolution. Very sad, it made me.

I am not sure if it was in RR (need to consult winamp) but it was on RRR, remix on RR V, and i am sure there are other remixes about. maybe it is just me that picked up on it. there are heaps of songs through out the RR series, and Rotterdam Nation is one that sticks out, but there would only be a handfull of others that would too

Kingdom Hearts/KH II - Hikari(Simple and Clean)/Passion(Sanctuary)

i am putting these 2 (technically 4) together because to me they both have equal standing, and are perfect fitting for both games. For the first one in particular, the PlanitB mixes are the ones that stand out.

Overview - All the songs I'm listing are from Bioshock because it is the embodiment of an iconic game and its music follows suit.

Bioshock - Welcome to Rapture

Why - Anyone who's played the Bioshock demo (and if you haven't, please do it quickly) can see why this piece (the intro as you descend in the bathysphere) is so amazing. It's the song that really embodies the game, as it's the first thing you here when you see Rapture.

Bioshock - Cohen's Masterpiece

Why - You hear this, and immediately you realize that it's Sander Cohen only put to sheet music. It starts softer, like Cohen first speaking to you, then grows louder and more frenzied as does his voice. It's a piece you HAVE to listen to if you enjoy solo piano music.

Bioshock - Dancers on a String

Why - This song feels like it represents the story of everyone in Rapture. It's sad, the melody played on a violin with the piano soft in the background, and you can almost see a once beautiful city that's crumbled into the remains before you and the citizens reduced from the once Cream of the Crop of the world to insane people spliced and muttering gibberish.

All of these songs were just released today for free by 2K. I'm listening to them as I write this. They're all amazing and any fan of games should listen to them.

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/home.html

Unfortunately I haven't been able to play Bioshock yet, but some pieces from System Shock 2 were pretty embodiment-ing of the game.

... you know what I meant.

Namely the songs for level 1 and 3, but especially 1. And the one that plays during the credits (which it also plays in part of level 4, I believe). I absolutely loved how the songs started and faded out like they did. Best use of dynamic music I've seen in a game.

How about everything from EarthBound

QF fucking T

Also, Zero's theme from the Mega Man X series. I mean they even use it as the title song in X5. Whenever I hear those first notes, I know what it is.

I was going to say Mute City from the F-Zero series, but actually I believe Big Blue is more iconic, seeing as how there are many more versions of Big Blue in the games than Mute City.

I am not sure if it was in RR (need to consult winamp) but it was on RRR, remix on RR V, and i am sure there are other remixes about. maybe it is just me that picked up on it. there are heaps of songs through out the RR series, and Rotterdam Nation is one that sticks out, but there would only be a handfull of others that would too

Kingdom Hearts/KH II - Hikari(Simple and Clean)/Passion(Sanctuary)

i am putting these 2 (technically 4) together because to me they both have equal standing, and are perfect fitting for both games. For the first one in particular, the PlanitB mixes are the ones that stand out.

One, from what I just realized, Grip is on RR and Revolution. Along with Rotterdam, Grip was remixed at least 3 additional times. From what I've not only read, but asked around in regards to those tracks, there are Dance Dance Revolution mixes containing elements of Grip and Rotterdam in them... Sadly, those songs I believe were for some of the Jap versions of DDR. I'm not entirely certain if this is true, because I'm looking it up as I'm typing this, but I do recall hearing some really good mixes of Grip on a self-made album that's floating around somewhere.

Two, there are sooooo many mixes of Simple & Clean that I've heard, and they are all pretty much mixed into a moderately-tuned, trance-oriented stuff. There was one that I recently heard (albeit nearly impossible to track down, I believe) that had a bit of a chillout feel to it. Very slow, had a lot of ambience to it and had some of the most unique percussions that I've heard in a while. "(Something) Strings 4 Me Mix" is all that I can recall at the moment. I don't have any info at the moment in regards to the artist(s) as of right now, but I'll definitely keep looking for it.

I was going to say Mute City from the F-Zero series, but actually I believe Big Blue is more iconic, seeing as how there are many more versions of Big Blue in the games than Mute City.

Agreed. I guess they just went more with the construct that people found Big Blue to be a fan favorite and just simply kept it. idk though, I kinda liked Mute City a lot more.

1. Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man

When you hear the "game start" jingle, you know what's about to happen. Many people have turned that jingle into some interesting pieces of music.

2. Tetris

B-type stands out the most for me, but probably not as iconic as I believe it is.

3. Metroid (Pick one)

It seems that every single one in the series has the same appearance fanfare. Not that it's bad or anything, but when you hear it I guess that it's just a reminder of the stress that you're about to embark on.

The PlanitB mixes of Hikari/Simple and Clean is the mix you here in the intro of the Japanese/International releases of Kingdom Hearts.

Well, yeah. Slightly faster in tempo and about half of the original song is cut if I'm correct.

just popped my copy of RR in the comp, and Grip isnt on there, at least on the Pal version. may be on the ntsc version, but idk.

Well, I have a copy of an official Ridge Racer compilation CD and if I am reading this correct, it does say that Grip is on RR. If what you're saying is true, then I think that this was a mix-up of some sort...

or it's only on the ntsc version. :?

which RR compilation CD is that? and also the tracks from RR that ended up on RRR were remixed versions, although the high spec demo disc from RRT4 has Ridge Racer and Grip as the 2 audio tracks, so they could have gotten it from there

Well, for one, it was imported with R4 and it came as a grey CD in a very thin case. It contained not only a demo of the turbo version of Ridge Racer, but this CD as well. I looked it up and all that I found was the separate copy of it.

What is wierd is, that on my friend's copy, it has the list of songs and Grip is indeed on that list as track 2, as it is on the game soundtrack (If I'm correct). If you look closely on the image, it's not even on there. So I'm not even sure anymore. In fact, I'm completely friggin' confused. My digital camera's completely D-stroyed otherwise I would've happily posted images of it up to better support my statement.

But seriously, I don't know anymore. But then again, this did arrive with the...

:roll: ...Japanese version. I think that solves it. Never mind.