ambinate

I'm guessing the genre you're looking for is Melodic Electronica.

It's not really a mainstream electronica genre, but it's the closest I could think of that could match your description. I suggest you check out the british electronica artist Plaid, who have a quite typical Melodic Electronic sound, might be a bit too avant-gardist for your taste though =P

Edit: Also, Aphex Twin

I dunno, man, wouldn't this be like asking for good bands to start with in any genre? Like if I had said "I wanna start listening to metal," people could say Sabbath or Metallica or whatever...unless I'm misunderstanding something here.

electronic music isn't really a genre, really the comparison here would be you saying "I wanna start listening to guitar". OK, but that doesn't really describe any particular style.

But you did say you were looking for upbeat, zircon type stuff, and a good place to start with that would be guys like the Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, Pendulum, etc.

but really check out ishkur's guide because it's a good way to find out what you're looking for also.

Well there's Orbital, due to their ambient side of electronic. And then there's BT, like Black Mage stated. This is way too vague to answer, but I could give a few artists for you to check out.

Thievery Corporation

DJ Shadow

B-Flat

Moby (I guess?)

Suisse Modular

...I mean, just go from what everyone here gave you and just venture out. Only you would know what appeals to you. Hope that helps... (somewhat)

Darude sucks.

I would advise starting with zircon too.

Darude was good back in the day, bu there are much better choices now:

Daft Punk

BT

Ferry Corsten

Armin Van Buuren

Stylophonic

The Crystal Method

Stoneface & Terminal

Randy Boyer

SGX

there are a bunch of others i cant remember now

Thanks a lot for the replies and recommendations so far, I'm gonna start checking it out.

I found Ishkur's Guide, and holy shit! I thought metal had gone wild with genres and classifications, but this is a new level.

You ain't heard nothing yet until you've heard Pirate Metal. =P

On a more serious note, I don't think you can actually compare the two like that. I'd say comparing 'Rock' and 'Electronica' would be fairer, and even then I'm not really sure. I once heard someone saying that there is really no such thing as electronica, as the whole genre is way too broad to grasp within one word, and IMO the same goes for rock.

Darude was good back in the day, bu there are much better choices now:

Daft Punk

BT

Ferry Corsten

Armin Van Buuren

Stylophonic

The Crystal Method

Stoneface & Terminal

Randy Boyer

SGX

there are a bunch of others i cant remember now

I agree with just about everything on this list. The only groups that I can't reccomend are those which I'm not familiar with (Stoneface & Terminal, Randy Boyer, Stylophonic.) I suggest cheking them out anyway.

Other than that, check out OverCoat's free music thread. You're bound to find lots of techno, trance, D&B, and more melodic music there.