Okay, I'll reopen it because the problem wasn't actually

resolved. However, I will take it in a slightly different

direction.

My roommate cannot connect to my computer, but I can connect to

his. My desktop PC is the XP, and his laptop is Vista. Here is

the message that pops up when he tries to connect to my computer:

"(My computer name) is not accessible. You might not have

permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator

of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon

type at this computer."

Our network workgroup names are the same, and, like I said, I can

connect to his computer. Is there something I have to do on my

computer to grant him access?

Well I have the same exact setup here, XP desktop and a Vista laptop. Both computers are mine and I've had no problem networking the computers together. In fact I've been transferring files back and forth since I pulled the computer out from the box. Perhaps it's an issue with a firewall?

Well I have the same exact setup here, XP desktop and a Vista laptop. Both computers are mine and I've had no problem networking the computers together. In fact I've been transferring files back and forth since I pulled the computer out from the box. Perhaps it's an issue with a firewall?

That is probably the case, but I tried editing my firewall and even disabling it. I have Norton Protection Center, and it's pretty controlling. I've managed to get by with it, but like I said, even disabling it, he can't get through. Maybe I'll try that guest account/username nonsense.

Edit: My computer has a wired connection to the wireless router while his laptop is connected wirelessly.

On his computer, go start >> run and type \\<youcomputername>

If that bring up Windows Explorer with Scheduled Tasks and maybe printers and a list of shared resources then you have a permissions problem with your shared resources.

If doing that gives you an error then you have a firewall problem.

My guess is that you will have a firewall issue here, make sure that the norton firewall AND the windows firewall are set to allow file sharing.

That is probably the case, but I tried editing my firewall and even disabling it. I have Norton Protection Center, and it's pretty controlling. I've managed to get by with it, but like I said, even disabling it, he can't get through. Maybe I'll try that guest account/username nonsense.

Edit: My computer has a wired connection to the wireless router while his laptop is connected wirelessly.

Yeah that's the EXACT setup I have here in front of me. I didn't even have to tinker around with any settings to connect either...

Why wouldn't one of them be on?

if youre behind a router youre already behind a firewall. having another one locally, especially one thats too overprotective like windows firewall, hinders more than helps. just use your router settings to control which ports are open/closed/forwarded.

if youre behind a router youre already behind a firewall. having another one locally, especially one thats too overprotective like windows firewall, hinders more than helps. just use your router settings to control which ports are open/closed/forwarded.

You assume his(router or switch) has a decent firewall...or a firewall period, there are a lot out there that don't have them or are piss poor and don't actually help at all. You also assume its set up correctly...and I am not putting much faith in that (no offense to anyone). Also, there is wireless involved and that really screws your network security regardless of mac filtering, wep, etc. Local firewalls are a must in the consumer world..that is unless you want to set up a decent firewall between your modem and router/switch.

At any rate you only want one firewall running at a time, since you purchased Nortons, you might as well use it and turn the windows firewall off. Once thats done, all you have to do is figure out how to allow incoming connections from your buddies computer (there should be some place to add an ip or computer name)