Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

DarkeSword

Been playing for a while. The Z-targeting isn't perfect,and when you accidentally move the wiimote to the wrong position and lose focus during a fight is annoying. Also, it makes your hand tired.

The graphics are clean and smooth, everything looks appropriate. Particle effects are enhanced a lot, and the overall poly level is higher. Nothing really looks ugly. The frame rate stays at a solid 60fps all the time. Never drops. Im glad they sacrificed a little poly count for a solid framerate, the game is much better as a whole for it. I didn't expect it to look bioshock-worthy or anything, the Wii is simply not powerful enough to do that.

tl:dr, if the z-targeting wasn't as flakey, it would have been perfect

still an incredibly good game

After beating it, I have another complaint. Retro REALLY has got to get better with the cutscenes. The voice acting is decent enough (superb in some places) but the camera, animations and just overall feel of the cutscenes is terrible. They reminded me of the Mario Sunshine FMVs.

What bugs me even more is the cutscenes in Prime 1 were handled well and looked pretty good. Someone from Nintendo must have stepped in and fucked the whole thing up for 2 and 3...

It's just a shame after seeing the nice FMVs in Hunters that we get almost unprofessional looking cutscenes in a big game like Prime 3.

Believe it or not, this game was actually easier than the first two MP games. Even the boss battles... At least they took the original atmosphere and streamlined it a bit, though I still say the first Metroid Prime always will be the best balance of action and discovery and wonder. MP3 is probably the best in terms of action flow, but they went a bit overboard with the Phazon story.

Just going out with a bang I suppose. I wonder what Retro's next game will be. So far I'm loving this game so I really want to see what they can do with an original IP.

And for those saying it's easy, are you playing normal or Veteran?

SPOLER

Same thing happened to me.. I didn't know how to feel about it at first cuz... well I WAS gonna have my ass handed to me... but it saved my life. On the other hand I felt cheapened. It all worked out however cuz I completely forgot to get the scan and ended up resetting anyway. :dstrbd:

And I'm pretty happy with the difficulty of veteran...?

Just got it today, and i am definatly impressed. I thought it would be better to take a stab at it on vet rather than norm, and i have to say that it isnt too easy, but i still would have preffered a little more difficult. Hopefully things will get tougher as i press on...

Just got it today, and i am definatly impressed. I thought it would be better to take a stab at it on vet rather than norm, and i have to say that it isnt too easy, but i still would have preffered a little more difficult. Hopefully things will get tougher as i press on...

It could afford a higher difficulty, but from what I remember in the selection screen... it looked like there was room for another difficulty. Perhaps unlockable or an option after first playthrough on veteran? I dunno, check it out and lemme know what you think.

Yeah, looked like there was an extra slot for "Prime 3 Veteran Veteran" or something. I'd imagine most posters in this thread are trying Veteran right now. I'm doing Veteran and finding it easier than both Prime 1 and 2 (3 hours into it now).

I'm pretty disappointed at the exploration so far... there basically is none. It's mostly "hallway" type rooms where you walk from the start to the end, passing by pretty decorations on the walls. Though some rooms you had to jump places and go into bomb slots... woo, bomb slots. And grab things. Yay, grabbing things! I'm only talking about the second planet though - the first planet (and the ship) was more of a tutorial than anything, so I'm not gonna judge its gameplay =p

The title screen is pretty good... but still not as good as the original one from Metroid Prime. The song is really what makes the difference.

So far, the combat seems a bit better than the previous two, but that's just because of the controls (the enemies still fail to do interesting things that actually affect battle.. though they sometimes do interesting things that DON'T affect battle, like when pirates jump onto the wall a la Super Metroid). As someone who enjoy's the target shooting game on Wii Play, I was prepared to like MP3's combat quite a bit more than I do...

There WERE moments during the intro (the ship and the first part of the first planet) that were "this is awesome!" moments... let's see hope there are a lot more of those =D

The thing I'd have to be dissapointed about the most (only because I wasn't expecting it) is that EVERYTHING in the level is tailored to the abilities that Samus has, or is about to get. The only things that AREN'T are either dead ends with missile/energy expansions, or doors that are a colour for a weapon you don't have (heaven forbid they have secret areas or paths, or even multiple ways to get from one room to another!) Let's label all the doors brightly on the map, even if you haven't gotten anywhere near that door yet! Seriously, it feels like the map itself is a bunch of spoilers. And you have to wonder why the planet was designed specifically so Samus Aran could just BARELY get to her specific objective (which happens to be at a big dead end), with only the items that you happen to have at that point in the game. That worked well for the Chozo ruins in Prime 1 (where it seems as though the Chozo knew it was destined "the Defender" would one day roll through all those nifty puzzles), but in Prime 3 you've got a labyrinth created by multiple non-Chozo races, in different time periods. It worked EXTREMELY well in all the 2D Metroid games though... Retro Studios had 5 games worth of material to take some level-design hints from, sad that they didn't.

So far it looks like the Prime 3 universe was created by theme-park ride designers: the rooms and the backgrounds look nice, yes, but all you're ever doing is riding along the track...

Has anyone here played Donkey Kong 64? The cutscenes in Prime 2 and 3 (and some in 1) totally remind me of the ones in D64. The ones where you kill some bug minibosses, and then doors open for no apparent reason, and it plays a dumb little jingle and shows the door opening (even though it explicitly showed them closing when the bugs appeared), and for some reason Samus is nowhere to be seen during the cutscene... Then when the cutscene ends you're standing somewhere completely different. I HATE that! And the cutscenes BEFORE minibosses totally take out all the suspense. If you're gonna have bad cutscenes, don't have any at all! You don't want a 20 second boring non-playable cutscene as a warning, you want those bugs to jump out at your first-person camera face so you don't know what's what! It's supposed to be "be the hunter behind the visor" or whatever, not "let's show you the miniboss that you're going to fight as soon as this crappy cutscene ends, and then move you to some random place just to disorient you". Could you imagine if System Shock or Bioshock had boring cutscenes showing where the enemies were before you got to fight them? It would completely ruin the mood AND the gameplay. If any single thing could make those games bad, it would be that. Man, this rant can't get any more pointless. Or CAN it??

Minor spoiler:

I'm wondering... for your first objective on the second planet, why doesn't Samus just land her ship right at the end, instead of a mile away? It's not like she doesn't know WHERE the end is... it's marked on her bloody map!![/end Spoiler]

Oh man, I just realized something: Donkey Kong 64 has way better exploration than Metroid Prime 3! Actually, DK64 had some pretty wicked exploration. Maybe that's why I liked that game perhaps more than I should ><

By the way, am I the ONLY person who prefers the "standard" control sensitivity? I tried advanced (or whatever it's called), and I could hardly even play that juggling game.

I seriously want to smack so many reviewers over the head with a fucking sledge hammer.

THIS GAME ISN'T HALO! IT WASN'T MEANT TO BE HALO! STOP COMPARING IT TO HALO!

Fucking shit. This is like comparing Oblivion to World of Warcraft. TWO SEPERATE FUCKING GAMES AIMED AT TWO SEPERATE FUCKING TARGETS.

This game was going for great single player and that is it. The controls are meant to be different and the feel of course is meant to be different.

I would understand if both Halo and Metroid were made by the same company, but they are not, so let the battle between them fucking end.

Augh, some people are fucking stupid, I swear.

/rant on the reviews i was reading earlier today

I seriously want to smack so many reviewers over the head with a fucking sledge hammer.

Fucking shit. This is like comparing Oblivion to World of Warcraft. TWO SEPERATE FUCKING GAMES AIMED AT TWO SEPERATE FUCKING TARGETS.

This game was going for great single player and that is it. The controls are meant to be different and the feel of course is meant to be different.

I would understand if both Halo and Metroid were made by the same company, but they are not, so let the battle between them fucking end.

Hell yeah. This is exactly what I always tell people. I just can't stand it when people compare the two. So once agian, STOP COMPARING IT TO HALO. They have nothing in common. Great post man.

I agree with the above, and there is no battle between Metroid and Halo, it's fabricated crap that was started by the same assholes reviewing these games.

"This is no Halo" is the dumbest comment on there. Of course not, it's Metroid PRIME 3, moron. I also despise the part he said about "and long stretches of wondering just what the heck you're supposed to do next", which shows that he is interested in nothing but shooting things that move and completely opposed to or intimidated by puzzle-solving.

Getting the game and playing it last night was like having sex for the first time. It is truly an awesome game and a benchmark for how ANY first person adventure or shooter should control. The graphics, the control, the atmosphere, level design - everything is there, and yet people find something to bitch about.

Now let me make a point that others have made before - you can criticize anything, and people will do it no matter what it is. You can criticize chocolate ice cream a if you want to. It was really hard for these reviewers to find anything negative in this game, in fact they had to pretty much fabricate negative things to say about it. That's just a testament to how awesome this game is. If you haven't bought this game, then go get it now. It is truly superb.

Too much of the time, though, "Metroid Prime 3" is more tedious than epic. This is particularly true of the boss battles, which are exhaustive affairs requiring dedication, patience, and most importantly, a familiarity with the vocabulary of videogames: double jumping, circle strafing, shooting weak points for massive damage, etc. Those who previously used the Wii only for party games will need a 13 year-old boy to explain it all.

So, when it's obvious how to kill a boss, it's too easy, but if you have to put in some effort, it's tedious?

I really don't think this is to be taken seriously by us gamers. This is clearly written by/for an audience that is a far-cry from ours. Since i'm European, i don't have the game yet, but i really doubt it's a bad game, and everything the reviewer said was just seeing the Metroid formula negatively, instead of thinking positively about it.

Us:"Yay, freedom!"

Reviewer:"Lack of direction."

Us:"Cool boss battles!"

Reviewer:"Battles where you have to put in effort? Screw this!"

This guy has his head up his ass.

Man, I'm about 30% through the game and I'm really wishing I had started out on Veteran mode. This game is way too easy so far. Fun game, just too easy. Awesome boss battles though.

My personal criticisms (read at your own risk): I really wish there were more exploration. Even though you can travel to and from any planet you like, you still have to go to a single spot for one reason or another every time you want to advance further in the game. That to me is what makes a game linear and I wish it weren't like that. I also would have really liked to have discovered a bunch of secret sidequests or something just to break things up. Everything feels way too scripted for my personal tastes.

Great game, etc etc, but am I the only one who's really, REALLY annoyed with how cumbersome it is to switch to your scan visor? I just want to press a button, not hold down - and move it over to the thing on top and then let go of - because by that time THE STUPID FUCKING BATS HAVE ALREADY KAMIKAZE ATTACKED ME.

Also I want my scan icons from Prime 1 back.

Went to a Mariner's game last night with some friends, so didn't get to play it till I got back (which was pretty much when I should have started heading for bed, since I have to get up early for work every day). To put it mildly, it was well worth being a little tired today to play some Prime 3. Animations are ridiculously smooth and detailed, lighting and blur effects really went a long way, and it's just overall a damn pretty game. Of course, it's the controls that really set it apart. It took me several minutes to get used to it (since it was so much more responsive than the Red Steel controls, it actually pains me to make the comparison) but once I did, well, pure gold. It was a little different to see just so many NPCs, and for them to have voice acting. It was really cool, though how they executed this when you first get onto the station at the beginning and walk past characters who are talking with each other reminded me of Half Life. [Possible spoiler]Btw, the Phazite Lord or whatever it was called right at the end of the space station...well, all I can say is wow. Seemed like I didn't even get its life down to 3/4 and if it weren't for that scripted even, that would have been a long battle. Epic.[/Possible spoiler]

I loved the little I've gotten to play thus far, and cannot wait to sink my teeth into this more later this afternoon. Btw, I had a funny thought and figured I'd share :-P. I was talking with a friend as we were going to the M's game yesterday, and we were talking about Prime 3 and the reviews. She was saying in her opinion the only legit criticism she heard yet was that it's a sequel and all that, and I had brought up how many reviews seemed to bring up the same stupid "It's no Bioshock!" comments and how pretty much every Wii game gets a similar line in like every review ("these aren't 360/PS3-level graphics"). It made me think: so when these same people review 360 and PS3 games, are they as practiced as commenting, "Well, it doesn't control like a Wii game." Just seems to me like a double-standard, if you're going to compare the system the game is on to its competition if it's for Wii but not in reverse. Anyway, I'd love to see "It looks good, sure, but the control scheme is no Metroid Prime 3" in reviews for the next FPS on PS3 or 360.

Great game, etc etc, but am I the only one who's really, REALLY annoyed with how cumbersome it is to switch to your scan visor? I just want to press a button, not hold down - and move it over to the thing on top and then let go of - because by that time THE STUPID FUCKING BATS HAVE ALREADY KAMIKAZE ATTACKED ME.

After awhile, I really, really began to prefer the visor switching method in 3 to the d-pad on 1 and 2. It feels clunky at first but really, all you need to do is hold minus for a split second then quickly point up, down-left or down-right. What's best about it is you can dodge while switching.

So, when it's obvious how to kill a boss, it's too easy, but if you have to put in some effort, it's tedious?

I really don't think this is to be taken seriously by us gamers. This is clearly written by/for an audience that is a far-cry from ours. Since i'm European, i don't have the game yet, but i really doubt it's a bad game, and everything the reviewer said was just seeing the Metroid formula negatively, instead of thinking positively about it.

Us:"Yay, freedom!"

Reviewer:"Lack of direction."

Us:"Cool boss battles!"

Reviewer:"Battles where you have to put in effort? Screw this!"

This guy has his head up his ass.

that review was in Variety. their review is for the more casual gamer.

i got maybe an hour or two into the game. its different from our perceptions of metroid, but its interesting so far. id like to see how it pans out.

I like the visor switching, but I hate the Shriekbats :\ lol