Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

DarkeSword

I finally beat this.

76% completion, 15:14.

I've yet to give it a full rating or Metroid game ranking. I figure I have to play it one or two more times- I need attempts for 100% completion, on a harder difficulty, and for at least a Trial speedrun.

Spoilers: Upon beating the game on normal I unlocked "Hyper" mode, a difficulty tougher than Veteran. Final Boss was not difficult. It was pretty cool, but I feel that the very very tail end of this game was the least interesting of it all. It might be because of my lack of information from not having all the lores, but even though I saw the AU being the fight(they look like motherbrain...) I didn't get enough information to know WHY it was all going on and what purpose did it really serve. I agree- needed more story on the other Hunter's getting corrupted. I could have dealt with Rundas like it was, but it would have been better if at least for Ghor you actually worked with him first uncorrupted.

Whoever came up with the X-ray visor+Nova Beam(screw it, I'm calling it the damn Wave beam.) combo when fighting enemies deserves a medal.

Lastly, I want to know why I simply magically managed to make it off of Phaaze and through the wormhole over having an escape sequence.

Just got the game in mail curtasy of Gamefly. This game is the fucking bomb!! (good bomb obviously) I only got as far as beating Meta Ridley. I don't want to go to work tomorrow...is that bad? :<

Yes, that's bad. Clearly you have become corrupted, and so are feeling a strong urge to do bad things.

So I just bought MP3, put it in, had it do a proper system update and then I get "The Game Disc could not be read.

That's because the disk was corrupted. Wash your hands, it probably had phazon on it. And try to resist the ever increasing urge to do bad things.

So I finally got past the prolonged "linear" part of the game... enjoying it very much =)

I started trying B as the trigger (I like how the A jump feels), but after losing to the "missile upgrade boss" on Bryyyon (twice), my right hand was killing me. It's A shooting for me from now on!

And any news about a new 2D Metroid game is very good =D

wait - unless the news is that there's no new 2D metroid game. Then that's bad.

So I just bought MP3, put it in, had it do a proper system update and then I get "The Game Disc could not be read.

Bloody BS. Not a single scratch on the disc and I've got to trek back to Target to exchange it, assuming they still have copies available.

You don't have it modded do you? :roll:

Alright just beat the game and all I gotta say is wow. What I expected to happen didn't and what did was cool. Pacing seemed a bit quick though at the end but really tense. Anyway I love this game. Time to beat it on Hyper mode (probably use up some of those tokens I have heh).

Hurrah, I won't be able to get my hands on this game till late October. Heck, Super Paper Mario hasn't even come out down here yet. Being an Aussie gamer is AWESOME! I had to avoid reading all your posts because of the whole spoiler factor but from the tid bits I have read, guess I should be looking forward to it.

Sorry, man. I'm studying to be a game designer; story is big for me. Yes, the game has amazing points that make it arguably one of the most amazing FPS(esque) games ever made, plus is the best use of Wii control that we'll see for a while.

But... Retro dropped the ball. This series was made as their epic saga, their huge trilogy. You can tell because of the level of story they have injected into a series that really never needed or had a rich story in its games. As far as epic sagas go... I was disappointed. As were many others who I talked to who played the game. The story was weak in too many areas in ways that could have easily been fixed.

As a designer, I know that story will play an important role in the development of the industry as a whole. We need high-profile games like this to REALLY focus on the storytelling aspect, as well as the gameplay aspect. For that reason, I wish Retro had stepped up a little. It was too conservative in its storytelling and the choices they made concerning the events in the game, which I felt detracted from such a great immersive gameplay exerience.

(Spoiler, btw: Not to mention, I had an emotional connection with the other hunters even by the end of the Norion section. I didn't want them to die, even though when that bitch on the G.F.S. Olympus told me about all our PEDs, I knew what was going to happen. I wanted to see their characters evolve as they dealt with the Phazon threat, both in the field, as well as in their bodies. Alas, nothing; Retro killed ALL THREE of them off without even flinching. )

MP3 is an amazing game, yes. But it DOES have faults and criticisms; I should think that it would be GOOD to point those out so that Retro or any other company could make a better game.

(For the record, I just listened to Wil Wheaton's PAX 07 keynote again, so I'm kinda bolstered right now... sorry about that. lol.)

--Jack Kieser

The only Metroid game to tell a good story was Super Metroid, and that was because it was a fucking masterpiece. I'm not sure why anyone would be disappointed that Prime doesn't. It's purely about gameplay, simple.

Personally, I don't care about story unless it's something after Fusion anyway.

Yeah, I can't wait to see how samus will handle being hunted by the pirates and the federation (who isn't all that clean after being involved in reviving Ridley...)

wow.. thats awful luck. :???:

Could be worse. Could've happened after my bro leaves town next week so that I would have to bum a ride off someone else or take a bus.

(And, now that I say this, I won't be able to get a new copy today and it will be next week so I have to find another way to Target.)

The Metroid games have never had massive story lines, but the Original Metroid, Metroid 2, Metroid 3, Fusion line all had what I could call a good story.(with Super Metroid's delivery of the story being the best) In addition, I group those games into one line or story.

In Prime to Prime 3, you have a story taking place between Metroid and Metroid 2. In them, the primary "thing" you are fighting against is Phazon. Its connection into the rest of Metroid line is weak- the best I can come up with is guessing that the radiation they refer to to make the last Metroid in Super Metroid reproduce asexually is actually Phazon, which is a stretch. There is no real element that ties itself into that "other" story line, or even strengthen it. Even on its own, Prime 1 did not set the stage for a dramatic series of awesome story lines or games, and Prime 2 had the most waste of a story and the worst- Prime 2's only real importance was the introduction of Dark Samus who was hinted at in Prime, and a small introduction to the GF.

So given Prime 3s backround and bar set by the previous two Prime games, I expected little more than the conclusion of the Phazon threat, which was performed. As for the rest- you have to imagine its impact on the game if it were executed.

Spoilers:For example, your interactions with the other hunters to see the effect of the Corruption on them over time would have probably been handled with cutscenes. If not, you'd have been looking at different gameplay elements altogether- a tag team across Sky Town, for example, would very likely lose the games open feel of exploration at that point. Yet the inclusion of other hunters was better than no inclusion- The process of being corrupted wouldn't have as much impact, and for Boss fights and small story line hiccups, such as obtaining Ice weapons and the Plasma beam, wouldn't be as memorable if they came from "local" bosses over the corrupted hunters.

The other aspects- I thought that the Corruption of Samus and it's effect on the game was handled well. It tied very well into the flexible powers of Samus's power suit, firing off Phazon energy suited that minor theme well. In addition, the real enemy in this game was Dark Samus and her actions, which kept the prime series continuous.

So altogether, I thought that the Story was fitting and that expecting more from it would have been expecting something that wasn't Metroid (prime).

Yeah uh, Super Metroid was an awesome game and all, but the story wasn't a masterpiece...

youre forgetting some important elements, such as the scientists findings that metroids can be used for the benefit of humanity, and the metroid larva coming back to help samus, whom it thinks is its mother.

metroid as a whole never had a huge story. how could it? the point was to make you feel secluded on your mission. all story elements were external to that.

as for prime 3, the story-driven gameplay is new and different, and its too soon for me to generate an opinion on it.

Backstory is different from story.

A good story is not always omnipresent. Super Metroid gave us a good story and then let us build the rest by exploring the world. The story did not interfere with the game, where as Fusion, a good example of storytelling in a platform game, the story was involved to a point where gameplay was limited by the story.

Prime 3 is a lot closer to Fusion than Super Metroid, where as Prime 1 was an example of SM's invisible story.

Yes, that's bad. Clearly you have become corrupted, and so are feeling a strong urge to do bad things.

That's because the disk was corrupted. Wash your hands, it probably had phazon on it. And try to resist the ever increasing urge to do bad things.

So I finally got past the prolonged "linear" part of the game... enjoying it very much =)

I started trying B as the trigger (I like how the A jump feels), but after losing to the "missile upgrade boss" on Bryyyon (twice), my right hand was killing me. It's A shooting for me from now on!

And any news about a new 2D Metroid game is very good =D

wait - unless the news is that there's no new 2D metroid game. Then that's bad.

LOL!!! It seems like you are clearly corrupted. Let me guess your Phazon level is at 80%?

Since I can't really be bothered with reading 25 pages worth so far.. anyone else think they should have included more shortcuts between areas? Or at least more damn save points?

I'm seriously fucking sick and tired of SkyTown. Those damn rails always have monsters spawning on them and it makes it more annoying than it really has to be. :evil:

I'm seriously fucking sick and tired of SkyTown. Those damn rails always have monsters spawning on them and it makes it more annoying than it really has to be. :evil:

Once you progress a little further its not so bad. You get another landing pad and a save point.

Once you progress a little further its not so bad. You get another landing pad and a save point.

It's still far too far between zones. Especially with how far you tend to have to go into a level, before hauling ass back out to go somewhere else.

I wonder how many ship missiles it would take, to shoot down SkyTown..