Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

DarkeSword

I'm still not entirely sold that people buy them for their stories. I mean for the fans, the story is important because it sheds new light under scrutiny, but does it really matter that much in the end? Other than the atmosphere and the progression of the games themselves, but both franchises still aren't entirely about the story. Maybe except for some of the more involving moments in Zelda games in the last few years, but the stories are somewhat fleeting and not the center of attention (with Zelda games, it's usually the very beginning and the very end that has the real amount of storylines. As it should be for Zelda games).

It's almost like how it is with strategy games now with how their campaigns strive to have an ambitious story behind them, and yet they are still strategy games in their core and it's still their biggest selling point. Even a lot of FPS games are like that nowadays but in the end, the FPS gameplay is what people come for. I agree that Metroid Prime 3 specifically is more about the story, but then again, the gameplay is more shoot-em-up friendly than even the past MP games.

You say it's about the balance and I agree. I didn't exactly mean to say that everyone buys it for the game first, story second. But I seriously think people simply buy them with the basic gameplay in mind perhaps subconsciously with these franchises. Because they know what to expect. Expecting something totally new, as much as all hardcore gamers want, isn't really all that crucial as I see it.

So, just beat the game. 100% on easy mode.

Anyone else who beat the game notice how it gives you a mark next to your save file? One of the 3 dots is filled in for me now. The top one, which I'm guessing is easy mode. Anyone manage to beat it on 2 difficulties yet, and can say if it fills in more than one dot, for beating it on different difficulties? If so, I wonder if you unlock anything extra special for clearing it on each difficulty, on the same save file..

The last round of boss fights was a little too easy. I didn't even come halfway to overloading before I killed the flying AU.

The ending was a little.. meh. But, I do wonder who that green ship belongs to.. and just how the fuck did Samus get out of there? She wasn't in the wormhole, the distance was way too far to just jump, or the entire fleet would have.. so how'd she get to safety?

Seems to me like there's one more game, in between Prime 3 and Super Metroid. Something to cover how the pirates managed to get another AU, and to explain the new ship.

At least no more Dark Samus. :D

What I want to see Retrostudios do next with Metroid?

3D remakes of Metroid and Super Metroid. Zebes is the most bizarre and coolest location of the Metroid series. Furthermore, I'd really like to see them implement the speed booster while imitating the exact feel of Super Metroid in a 3D environment.

3D remakes of Metroid and Super Metroid. Zebes is the most bizarre and coolest location of the Metroid series. Furthermore, I'd really like to see them implement the speed booster while imitating the exact feel of Super Metroid in a 3D environment.

I always thought why wouldn't they implement the speed booster in Prime series, and then I thought that it would be very complicated to do so. Thinking that you'd need very long corridors and stuff, it would not have worked so well.

And personally I don't think they'll remake the Original Metroid in 3D if they made a remake already. And about SM, it would be hard to translate it to 3D, but I think it could work.

I'd like to see Retro do something original now, actually.

Be nice if they got to finish Raven Blade.

So, I played this for the first time yesterday. It was pretty fun. I had no idea what I was doing, so I just ended up wandering around the first little space station and shooting at inatimate objects.

Playing this game made me realize how much the Wii controller and I aren't in synch. I suppose I just need to play Wii games more (and maybe I need to adjust the controls or something,) but I didn't really get the feeling that I was playing on the "best fps controls ever." Just my two cents.

Damn,

Mogenar

is hard! on Hyper difficulty.

Once he is down to two orbs, he charges when shielded w/ phazon feet extremely fast after sending off a shockwave. I get rushed for almost a full tanks worth of damage while I'm still in the air jumping.

So, I played this for the first time yesterday. It was pretty fun. I had no idea what I was doing, so I just ended up wandering around the first little space station and shooting at inatimate objects.

Playing this game made me realize how much the Wii controller and I aren't in synch. I suppose I just need to play Wii games more (and maybe I need to adjust the controls or something,) but I didn't really get the feeling that I was playing on the "best fps controls ever." Just my two cents.

It gets better once you get used too it, and advanced controls actually work a lot better.

I'm still not entirely sold that people buy them for their stories. I mean for the fans, the story is important because it sheds new light under scrutiny, but does it really matter that much in the end? Other than the atmosphere and the progression of the games themselves, but both franchises still aren't entirely about the story. Maybe except for some of the more involving moments in Zelda games in the last few years, but the stories are somewhat fleeting and not the center of attention (with Zelda games, it's usually the very beginning and the very end that has the real amount of storylines. As it should be for Zelda games).

It's almost like how it is with strategy games now with how their campaigns strive to have an ambitious story behind them, and yet they are still strategy games in their core and it's still their biggest selling point. Even a lot of FPS games are like that nowadays but in the end, the FPS gameplay is what people come for. I agree that Metroid Prime 3 specifically is more about the story, but then again, the gameplay is more shoot-em-up friendly than even the past MP games.

You say it's about the balance and I agree. I didn't exactly mean to say that everyone buys it for the game first, story second. But I seriously think people simply buy them with the basic gameplay in mind perhaps subconsciously with these franchises. Because they know what to expect. Expecting something totally new, as much as all hardcore gamers want, isn't really all that crucial as I see it.

And I agree with you here. Really, I think we were all trying to say about the same thing, we were just emphasizing different aspects of the same issue. So far, the balance of story and gameplay in Prime 3 seems a little off but not by much.

I took a break from it to finish Fire Emblem 9 for the GCN, actually. I like RPGs better than any other genre, personally. Perfect Dark for the N64 was the only FPS I could sit and play for 6 hours straight, though the action/puzzle moments in Metroid definitely keep me interested.

I hope Ridley shows up again later... I'd like to know if Retro gave a reason for him going from Meta to Organic, if there even is an answer other than "we though Meta-Ridley looks cooler and less like a Dinosaur." *shrug*

I beat it today with 97% or so...and that's just because of using the observatory to find expansions. XP

[sort of spoilers...ending scene]That ending scene with Samus remembering all the hunters she killed was destroyed by her awful face design. Seriously, it would have been much more effective with the Prime 1 Samus. I hate them for going for the more cartoony, weird look. Ugh. I mean, she looked better in the Hunters ending. Which is on the fricking DS. >_<

(spoiler)

I am glad you agree with me on that. I hate how they changed her from IMA KICK YOUR ASS samus to cheeleader YAY IMA GIRL YAY samus. Ugh

Is that really Spoiler worthy?

What got me was the quality of her suit, then her face is just... weird.

EDIT: I thought the same thing in Prime 1 too.

Is that really Spoiler worthy?

What got me was the quality of her suit, then her face is just... weird.

EDIT: I thought the same thing in Prime 1 too.

In my opinion, at least from what I have seen, suit-less or helmet-less Samus has always looked less detailed in all the 3D games. For some reason, it seems like they go half-assed on rendering her.

The reason why Samus looks so messed up without her helmet on, is because of the uncanny valley. It's easy to do up something that only looks vaguely human, but yet distinctly not. It's when they try to make something look very much human, that it falls short.

For example.. did you notice the commander's hand? Fingers were far too short, like he was missing the entire last knuckle, and the spacing between his fingers made them look excessively bony.

Yet, things like the space pirates, or the other hunters, because they're not actually trying to be human, come across as real enough because we don't look at them every day and are able to see things that aren't quite right.